PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

WILL
24-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Well looks like Microsoft's next version of the Windows client, known to many of us as Longhorn will be called Windows Vista! The official name was announced on Friday without many more details.

The new 64-bit operating system is set to be available as Beta for developers on the 3rd of August.

Read more at www.microsoft.com ('http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx')!

Sly
24-07-2005, 02:50 AM
I can see the wide open security holes- err, vistas now.

Traveler
24-07-2005, 11:21 AM
They named it Vista?? :shock:

VISTA,
vista,
Vista,
Viiista,
vissta,
Vistaa
VISTA
VISta

Nope,.. no matter how its said, it still sounds bad.

They should've kept Longhorn :(

tux
24-07-2005, 11:33 AM
and theyve allready been sued over the name

savage
24-07-2005, 04:18 PM
They named it Vista?? :shock:
{snip}
They should've kept Longhorn :(

That would just sound too Texan. As if most people didn't already think they were a bunch of cowboys :twisted: .

JSoftware
24-07-2005, 06:55 PM
what a retarded name..

Sly
24-07-2005, 10:07 PM
That would just sound too Texan. As if most people didn't already think they were a bunch of cowboys :twisted: .
I thought only two things came from Texas: steers and queers. Wasn't that what the movie said? :)

savage
24-07-2005, 10:35 PM
I thought only two things came from Texas: steers and queers. Wasn't that what the movie said? :)

The full quote is...
"only two things come from Texas : Queers and Steers and I don't see no horns on you"

Thinks it is from Officer and a Gentlemen.

LP
24-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, I don't remember what was the codename of Windows XP (maybe same story?) but the name hardly matters here. I'm just not being too optimistic about it, but the time (and experience) will tell...

P.S. Few interesting facts:

a) Every time I do a fresh install of Windows XP (exactly same configuration options) - it behaves differently after install. Sometimes giving certain bugs while after another fresh install doesn't.

b) When I first got my hands on Win2k, it took 7 attempts to install it (it crashed either during install, locked up during hardware detection or failed to boot after restarting). Although it has been beaten up by Linux RedHat 7.1: 11 install failures, sometimes it crashed while booting from CD, sometimes in the middle.

For some unknown reasons I had no further problems with installing both WinXP and Linux last year on exactly the same machine (until it died due to lightning three days ago :()

Sly
24-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Found the one I was thinking of. Full Metal Jacket.
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/fullmetaljacket.htm

"Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down."

xGTx
27-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I've actually never had an install problem with Windows 98 and up. I'm looking forward to Vista, unfortunately the name is shabby :(

tux
27-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, I don't remember what was the codename of Windows XP (maybe same story?)

whistler

Crisp_N_Dry
27-07-2005, 08:01 PM
On a Full Metal Jacket note...
Sweet Enola Gay son, R Lee Ermey rocks my world. He spent 15 minutes spouting insults and putdowns without repeating himself or pausing in front of Stanley Kubrick to land the part of drill sergeant and he was previously a drill instructor in the USMC years before which is where he learnt his trade and why he is always get typecast as a drill sergeant. What a complete badass. Full Metal Jacket = Helluva hardcore 'nalm film.

WILL
29-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't know what to think of Windows anymore... I mean... sure the 100% graphical enviroment on the PC was a big milestone, and it's many features did help move some concepts of the traditional GUI to what we have today, but... lately nothing really innovative has come from them.

They are very much becoming more bloated with 'Nice and friendly' features that I really don't want nor need as I know what file extentions are and I DO like to see them and I don't need every icon in my favored file management tool(Windows Explorer) to look like a nice big squishy happy Apple box. I am a technical person and as such feel like I'm having my system handed to me like I'm new.

I'm starting to feel like I'm growing out of Windows like I grew out of Velcro straps on my shoes when I was a kid. :?

I am however interested in how Vista will turn out. I was pleased with XP as a completion of the 32-bit full GUI OS that started with the original 95 and/or NT4(as the first fully non-DOS required Windows built on the NT code-base), but I'm now guessing that it's reached it's peak and Microsoft either needs to deck it out or pack-it-up. More of the same will not work anymore and the more computer savy will not be interested in another fancier more happy-squichly-family-friendly update to the already completed NT-to-XP generation of Windows.

Then again Microsoft did choose C over Pascal so they obviously can't make the best choices all the time, no? ;)

tux
29-07-2005, 11:11 PM
well vista beta 1 is pretty stable and fast ;)

many improvements for developers (mainly the benchmarking thing for auto game tuning)

if only it had media center included :(