PDA

View Full Version : Motivated Volunteers Wanted!

WILL
24-07-2005, 09:57 AM
As many of you have noticed, fresh content for the site has slowed down considerably of late. Due to the increasing demands of the currently tiny staff's time we require some extra help in keeping the site bursting with new and exciting content from week to week.

We are now hiring!

We will be taking simple resumes from site members and visitors alike, who are Motivated, Creative and can at least make a minimum of a once-a-week contribution.

Possitions required are;

<ul> News Reporters: Seek out new an interesting game development and industry tools, projects and on-goings and report them on the site! We would like to keep the news section very active as it is a major function to help keep people informed in this community. Writters: Write articles for the site. Picking topics from specific tools or libraries to other topics of interest in the game development world at large. This is in heavy demand! Esp. for those with a magazine or newspaper style of writting. Proof-readers: All articles go through a proof-reading process before being accepted by the Editor for publishing. Without people to read over and pick out mistakes the writters articles will not get to the Editor at all. Editor(s): An individual or individuals that will maintain a constant over-sight to the tasks and work being done of the proof-readers and writters. Along with this he should take an active part in the writtings on the site aswell.[/list]

Interested people are asked to either send your resume to myself ('will@pascalgamedevelopment.com?Subject=Staff_Wan ted') or savage ('savage@pascalgamedevelopment.com?Subject=Staff_W anted') and state what possitions you are interested in.

xGTx
24-07-2005, 07:32 PM
"Possitions required are;"

As a proof reader i'd change that to "Positions required are:"

haha :P

czar
24-07-2005, 08:46 PM
And you will need proofreaders to keep those writters in line :lol:

cairnswm
25-07-2005, 06:12 AM
How is the site going to make it easier for people to comment on and give feedback on articles? Can the articles not work in the same way as news items - ie. have a forum post for each so that people can reply.

wisebede
26-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Why not just make it into a Wiki and allow anybody to post news?

BlueCat
28-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Why not just make it into a Wiki and allow anybody to post news?

Not a bad idea but all posts would have to be approved by a staff member first. We wouldn't want anything offensive on the front page would we? :twisted:

I think this is a good point though. The less commitment there needs to be to contribute, the more likely people will contribute.

BlueCat
30-07-2005, 09:24 PM
That'll be a *BUMP* then

tux
30-07-2005, 09:29 PM
dont bump it too hard. your'll brake it :D

WILL
30-07-2005, 09:34 PM
A wiki is a totally different animal and we are not going there. It would be good for a manual or documentation or even a community written book, but thats not what we are building here.

You can think of this site as a new gen version of a game programming magazine/newspaper. Much like Delphi Gamer was concieved as.

We need staffers and modivated ones. Ones that can commit to a minimal contribution at least.

tux
30-07-2005, 09:48 PM
what about anyone can submit news but it must be proof read

WILL
30-07-2005, 09:55 PM
what about anyone can submit news but it must be proof read
I think that this is how GameDev.net does it... I could have a public news submission form and those are proof-read and added in addition to our Staff released news...

Sascha Willems
31-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Public submited news with Proof-Read may boost numbers of news items, but the problem is simple : There are always no Pascal/Delphi-related news these days. Most Delphi-Pages I visit have had close to no news within the last weeks so I haven't put up many news items here on PGD. It's sad but true, the Pascal-scene is very very quiet and I don't think that this has only to do with the fact that it's summer.

WILL
31-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah summer might have a bigger impact that I have given it credit, but even still we need to beef-up the amount of work-force that pipes though PGD.

As for non-Pascal, but still general game development and industry. There has been lots! I think it's just a matter of how you look at it.

Try to associate other articles or releases or on-goings like a new company change, or a release of the first game from a new indie company. Remember my Heavenly Sword post? Thats an example. It provides the reader (ala PGD visitor) with some insight to how things may go as a small indie company. I think there was 4 or so people working in that company?

Also maybe the release of a gaming console could be news too. There is a (self created) project geared to make a GBA target for Free Pascal right? Maybe some GameBoy Advance or DS news might spice some insparation? Or... you can take the general approach, if it's games it's your line of work so it's interesting to you. As long as it has some kind of big or small indie effort, is revolutionary or is a 'big deal' in the gaming world then it has a chance for being interesting to our visitors. To hell if it's not Pascal. :lol:

Ok ok, stop the war-cries already! :P

Seriously though, Pascal is the under-tone here. My best example is the TV show Battlestar Galactica, it's sci-fi, no question there. But BSG isn't based on all the cool blowing things up or all the typical sci-fi focuses of past hollywood efforts. No no, it's a character based show and thus focuses on the characters and the story and the people involved rather than a super cool space dog-fight, though it's still in there and must happen as a result.

In PGD, I hope that it can go this way too. Now obviously we will be, as a good friend of mine once said it, "speaking in Pascal" all throughout it's about game concepts and what is good gaming and how to develop games. Becasue to be honest Pascal is just a language you need the rest to make anything of it. So without it it's useless. So lets not be a bunch of useless Pascal people and start doing something in our native toung... Pascal. :)

fitzbean
14-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Just a note - the link color in messages are horrendous - anyway to change them? Or change the sites colors completely? I looked in the profile, but there's only one board style to choose from.

Traveler
14-10-2005, 07:52 PM
This issue is also discussed here (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=16617#16617) and has been discussed in the past, a number of times now. We have it on a todo list, but with WILL gone for a couple weeks, its not likely that it'll get fixed soon. In the meantime the combination of [u] and [url] tags works best.