PDA

View Full Version : FMOD Ex

WILL
01-08-2005, 05:10 PM
The newest major version of FMOD is finally out. FMOD Ex or FMOD 4.00 is a newly redesigned API and a next generation audio engine.

Already supporting; Windows 32bit, Windows 64bit (AMD64), Linux, Macintosh (os8/9/10), Windows CE (Pocket PC / Smart phone), Playstation 2, Xbox and GameCube

Brand new support for XBox 360 and Playstation Portable has been added!

Native C, C++, C#, VB and Delphi interfaces are available. Native surround sound output. Cross platform MIDI playback. Improved mod/s3m/xm/it support. New file formats. Improved internet streaming. Suite of cross platform DSP effects. Added 3D functionality and more.

Checkout the new FMOD Ex at www.fmod.org ('http://www.fmod.org/')!

LP
02-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Brand new support for XBox 360 and Playstation Portable has been added!

In downloads section they say PlayStation Portable support is still under development.

Checkout the new FMOD Ex at www.fmod.org!
1) The package doesn't come with Delphi examples, only C#, VB and C++.

2) Previous FMOD had lack of support for IT music format (BASS does better job there). I couldn't find a working example that could play MODs, so not sure if they did any real improvement.

3) The compiled examples run in a console window and are pretty ugly. With a $2,000 price for Win32 platform (more than twice as much as BASS costs) this isn't a very good example of a good commercial package.

Of course, let's remember that there's always room for improvement :)

Update:

On their forums, it looks like adding Delphi examples isn't a priority:

I don't know if we'll expend the resources to add examples, VB seems to be more popular i think, thats why we supported that.
Checked the list of added features. IT-format support remains the same :x

savage
02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
In downloads section they say PlayStation Portable support is still under development.

I wonder what it would take to port FreePascal to PSP?

WILL
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I know the only other processor (besides PIC which is planned next) that the FPC doesn't support is MIPS. And with that you are considering PS2 and Game Cube.