PDA

View Full Version : Project: Nameless

Azrael
18-01-2003, 01:12 AM
HI there,

at first, i want to introduce myself.
My name is Dennis, i'm 16 years old and i use Delphi for about 4 1/2 years. i started using OpenGL one year ago.
Now i work on a 3D Shooter. The Problem is, that an entire game is a lot of work for one person, so i'm looking for some guys, who work on the game.

well, i think it would be good, if i tell you a little bit about the game and its state of development.
There is no real story at that moment and there are no textures or anything else. well, i know, this is not very much, but i'm still alone with it. the first aim is to write an engine.

This is a little list of all the planned features, which should be implemented:
[list=1]
MultiTexturing
Shadersupport
Dynamic Lighting
Stencil Shadows
BSP Trees
Dot3 BumpMapping
Boneanimation
Support for Maya and 3DSM Files
NURBS
Beziere Splines
[/list:o]

This is not a fix list so it may become changed. I know, this is much work, but i think, that there are some people out there. The story is not really done, i have some interesting ideas, but this state of development in an one man team is not the right time to think about something like a story.

I hope that this do not sound like the posts of some newbies, who have written an Hello World Application and who now think they were pro's.

mfg,
Dennis.

Alimonster
20-01-2003, 11:12 PM
You might want to bounce some ideas off of BlueCat when he returns from his vacation. He's working on an OpenGL engine too (using SDL) so you should be able to swap ideas.

Being devil's advocate for a second, I'd say that, without care, you're likely to end up with a tech demo rather than an interesting game. Prove me wrong! :P Think up an interesting plot and keep it in mind (possibly involving exploding, kamikaze bunnies that chase you through an abandoned zoo. Or not). Get the plot done now rather than trying to shoehorn it in later.

Wish you the best of luck - you have the right idea (grabbing other folk to form a team). The fact that you've heard of the technologies, let alone want to use them, is enough to show that you have a clue ;).

Sly
21-01-2003, 08:03 AM
I agree with Alimonster. Too many games these days are based on how many whiz-bang features they can cram in. It seems that the game itself is left until last. Don't forget to get some good gameplay in there.

Azrael
21-01-2003, 05:47 PM
for sure, a game needs a good gameplay to be interesting. but i wouldn't make sense to write an excellent plot without having foundations to realize that project. i mean, for sure i thought of the scenario and the style of the game, but you can not call it a plot. It's just kinda blurb.

Let me summarize it in a few sentences:
Earth is going to collaps. An atomic war devasted most of earth's surface. The rest of the the mankind decided to build a generation ship to discover the deepless darkness of space to find a new world. A place to find asylum.
The time goes by and all the pioneers found was lonelyness, far away from their homes, surrounded by darkness and silence. After some decades the pioneers met a foreign spaceship. The aliens were very friendly and there was a lot of trading between the two races. When the secret service contacted the foreigners to buy some technology for selfdefense, the aliens refused it. They've said that it would be a crime to sell technology to lower developed species. The secret service wanted some new technologys and because of that they stole them! But the stolen technologies were a trap, a biological weapon. Nearly the whole crew became infected with that virus and as the result they mutated. After a while the ship was controlled by such mutants.
The player is a soldier, who has to save his life. He's not kinda heroe like everyone would have expected, he's just a humand being, who feels fear. On his fight he met a special woman and he's been in love with her. Now he just doesn't want to save only his life. He fights for his future wife, who became also infected. What is he going to do?

Azrael
21-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Well, could it be, that there is a mistake? On the index page is shown, that there are 2 answers inside this Thread, but count it! there are 4!
I can't imagine that this should be right.

ciao,
Dennis.

Shadowfax
25-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Ali, not always, Half-Life had a terribly crap story about Space Guy (forget his name). They redesigned the story at the end of the game, and look! its game of the year 1998! And its still played!

Azrael
25-01-2003, 08:31 PM
i don't like games without a good story!
and it's easier to create an interesting storyline than to
write a powerfull engine!

ciao,
Dennis.

Shadowfax
01-02-2003, 08:37 AM
but the moral of this story is, you can make a decent game from an orignially crap story.

Azrael
02-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Well, is there nobody outside, who wants to help me? Please, don't let me alone. It would be nice to have one or two guys working with me on the same project.

see you,
Dennis.