PDA

View Full Version : GameBoy Advanced Development a Reality!

WILL
11-08-2005, 06:33 AM
<table width=100%><tr><td class=newsContent valign=top align=left>Well this is a bit of self-promotion, but it seems that the hard work of both Legolas(Francesco Lombardi) and myself has paid off.

Legolas has managed to modify a working RTL and with a few hands-on steps you can compile a GameBoy Advance rom running in ARM mode only.

We still need those ARM7 THUMB instructions to run effecient roms. Hopefully soon we will be able to get it intergrated into the current FPC roadmap.</td><td width=256 align=center valign=middle>files/news/2005_08_11_gbademo.jpg</td></tr></table>
For more information read this thread ('http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=2450').

savage
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
GREAT WORK GUYS!!!!

Specis
11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Nice one!

Great work from yas then!

Robert Kosek
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Great work! This is quite cool, if you ask me. That's ALMOST enough to tempt me into getting a GBA.

Legolas
12-08-2005, 01:20 AM
:toocool:
But... In fact generated code is too much slow. I tried red screen demo with fpc (arm mode) and gcc (thumb mode) and the advantage in speed of gcc is somewhat embarrassing. :cry: I'll try with a gcc arm demo to test the real difference. I hope that with thumb instruction set this gap will be reduced.

WILL
12-08-2005, 03:56 AM
I wouldn't get too discouraged with the speed difference. No we won't be able to do a remake of Mario Party Advance any time soon, but this is the first time that anyone has tried to make FPC support a GBA(or any ARM7 device).

I find it modivating. :) We can make it better, just like we got this thing working in the first place.

My own theory: If you really like something, but are not happy with limitations in it, help make it better or make one that is better.