PDA

View Full Version : opengl and directx from another POV

JernejL
13-08-2005, 10:46 PM
we all know how these things end up, but from another interesting point of view we can prove that opengl is superior to dx:

go to google.com > images
search for directx and then again for opengl

what are results?

opengl:
1 opengl logo, 1 graph flow and the rest (17) are cool screenshoots of stuff made with opengl.

directx:
6 different directx logos, 4 windows dialog boxes (2 are from directx install programs), 1 comparision screenshoot of valve source engine under directx 7, 8 and 9, one image of a woman face that has nothing to do with directx and one wierd nVidia Vs ATI image thing, 1 picture of landscape and 6 screenshoots of stuff made with directx.

it is similar with web results:

directx: first 6 results point to microsoft, its developer center and directx downloads, absolutely no useful info about directx and no tutorials.

opengl:
the cool opengl.org site, opengl specifications, sgi's homepage, some sgi tools and nehe productions (which says "Extensive OpenGL programming tutorials and resources.")

from this i can claim that opengl has much better support and more tutorials & resources than directx.

this is a view onto the situation from another point of view, which may be interesting for everyone.

Clootie
14-08-2005, 01:34 PM
one image of a woman face that has nothing to do with directx.
Aside from discussing DX vs GL I should note what woman face is Rachel. "Her" head model was used in one of the old ATI DirectX demos. So Google is right and you are wrong! :lol:

JernejL
14-08-2005, 07:15 PM
one image of a woman face that has nothing to do with directx.
Aside from discussing DX vs GL I should note what woman face is Rachel. "Her" head model was used in one of the old ATI DirectX demos. So Google is right and you are wrong! :lol:

whatever, the numbers win for opengl.

Lightning
22-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Well it's all quite clear, if you aren't too lazy and you want CrossPlatform support and you don't want to be addicted to MS the OpenGL is your choice, if you only want to code for Win and don't care about the "Open" philosophy you may like DX more cause you have all that support from ... hmmm ... MS as i'm not a MS fan and tend to like other platforms too and i will probably never do any DX coding :)
OpenGL has more support from the community because it's a much larger community(Win, Linux, OSX, all *nix and let's not forget SGI themselvs) and OpenGL is a quite nice to work with.