PDA

View Full Version : Dark Oberon: Very stilish game

{MSX}
18-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi! i always like when a game finds something new for graphic style.
This game is a kind of RTS with sprites made from clay.
http://dark-oberon.sourceforge.net

Look at the screenshots.. isn't it cool or what ?!

Do you think that's practical to do something similar? i mean, taking picture, modelling etc ?

cairnswm
18-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I worked out how to create sprites from the Photos.

I did a write up about it for DGDev a long time ago - I cant find it - Google for Photo Sprite and it finds it on DGDev but I cant find it here.

Firlefanz
18-08-2005, 09:57 AM
This screenshots look totally cool, best I have seen for a while.
We tried to make animations for 2D viewed from above game looking like Diablo with big jim action figures (don't know if anybody knows them, they look cool) and trees from a mini-railroad system and the images and animations were really very good, but we quitted since we cannot make a diablo game with two people. but it really looked good.

Firle

JSoftware
18-08-2005, 10:52 AM
haha :D warcraft 2 in clay

Traveler
18-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Do you think that's practical to do something similar? i mean, taking picture, modelling etc ?

No I don't think its practical at all. It sounds to me like its a whole lot of work, that can be easily avoided when using for instance 3DMax or Lightwave.
However, those tools are expensive, so that kinda narrows it down pretty quick.

On another note, I've taken the time to download the game, and I must say it plays quite well actually. Too bad there's no AI yet :(

WILL
23-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Wow, that is neat indeed. But I'd not recommend it to your team MSX. :) It'll be the death of KAZ. ;)

K4Z
24-08-2005, 01:16 AM
HaHa

{MSX} already has me locked in a tiny dark room to make countless 3d models, If I wake up one morning with a pile of clay in the middle of the room, i'm just gonna have to break out :lol:

It's a pretty neat style, although it would be quicker to model the sprites in 3d, has anyone used amorphium? It lets you model in 3d like clay, proding and poking the 3d mesh as you wish.