PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica - Alert Fighter

WILL
04-09-2005, 06:20 PM
<table width=100%><tr><td class=newsContent valign=top align=justify>A new project called Battlestar Galactica - Alert Fighter has begun development by Cerebral Bicycle. It is a space simulator, like that of their Infanite Space project, where you get to hop in a Raptor and vaporize some Cylons! :)

Those that are fans of the new and old series alike should be quite excited about this one.</td><td width=204 align=center valign=middle>files/news/2005_09_04_alertfighter.png</td></tr></table>

Catch a glimps and keep up to date on this project at www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk ('http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/viewdoc.asp?doc=319')!

WILL
10-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm hoping to get some more interesting screen shots up in a few days, the planets are nice and all that, but I know everyone want to see vipers :-)

Yup! :D

So what generation of Galactica will you be focusing on? New or old? Personally I prefer the new. Besides, I think you'll have more variety with the new as the old only had 1 kind of Cylon Raider. AND you'll have more than one type of craft to fly for the Colonials too.

Oh and the next week's episode might even

All the craft I recall from the series I can recall:

Colonials:

Viper (MK 2)
Viper (New)
Raptor
Battlestar

Cylons:

Raider
Bomber
Boarding Ship
Basestar

technomage
11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
The focus is on the new series. I prefered this mainly because of the flight dymanics of the craft are more realistic, this might make controlng the craft a bit more difficult but you've got to be the best to fly a viper :wink: .

Currently I have a models for the Viper Mk II, I'm a bit limited on 3D modeling apps (I use Milkshape) and although there are a number of good bsg models out there there are all way to complex for a game, so I'm building all he models by hand. i'm hoping to have the following models in the demo

viper mk II (complete)
Cylon Raider (not started)
BattleStar Galactica (in progress)

The technology being used is the frame work I've been developing for the Infinite Space project, the pictures on the site are in game, and have been generated at runtime (no textures) from random seeds. Much of the frame work is xml driven so I have the ability to add new planet types etc just by adding some new files and editing others.

The space enviromnent uses ODE for the physics engine, and I've implemented a true flight model for ships. Basically the controls fire thrusters on the ship which themselves allpy the forces to the object. The resulting effect is quite effective, but it does mean you have to balance the craft correctly and write your flight control script so that it compensates for little problems. Quite trickly really.

The game is using JEDI-SDL and Opengl and FMOD for the various API's. It also used Rem Objects Pascal Script and the compiler and api generator that I released on the site (http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk) a few weeks ago.

I'm hoping for some more screen shots in a day or so. There is still a load of work to do on this, currently there is no collision detection, weapons or ai and the event system only has very basic events implemented. But work is proceeding nicely. :D

technomage
30-10-2005, 08:02 PM
just a small update to the Alert fighter project, I have now completed work on the Viper Mk II and Cylon Raider models. Here is a shot of the models that will be used in game.

http://alertfighter.mirthmedia.co.uk/images/screenshots/alertfighterships.png

I have also made allot of progress on the event system and the physics. I'm just working on trying to speed up the rendering engine now :D

will keep you all posted.

More screenies available at

http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/viewdoc.asp?doc=319

savage
01-11-2005, 07:13 PM
News item posted.

technomage
03-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks Dom

anyone have any feedback on the screen shots / models :?: I can post some more shots of the ships in the environment if you'd like to see more.

I'm rally hoping to get a non playable demo out by the end of november for people to look and and get a bit mroe feedback that way.

Cheers

Dean

K4Z
04-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Thats a nice shot, the Viper looks awesome, it's perfect. Though the Cylon Raider could do with a little more polygons, it's a little wobbly looking :) .

Can we see some more shots?
Looking forward to the demo :D

technomage
04-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks K4Z, I'm actaully quite proud of that viper, I will probably need to do a MK VI version as well at some point.

The raider does look a bit "wobbly" it needs smoothing out a bit. I'l try and get some more screen shots uploaded of the two ships in the engine.