PDA

View Full Version : PDA Web Browsing

WILL
04-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I would like to learn more about browsing the web on PDAs and other capable portable devices. What kinds of things they can view and what would be acceptable for a PDA-capable web page are of most interest to me, but all kind of general knowlage would be nice to know aswell.

Who has a PDA device and would be interested in using it to browse PGD?

And what kinds of things would you like to see on it if you do happen to surf on over to www.pascalgamedevelopment.com?

cairnswm
05-09-2005, 04:25 AM
I have a smart phone - havn't used it for browsing for a while though.

The screen is smaller - typically 240x320 though there are wider screens coming out.
No Frame support
Dont want any images. It just uses up the bandwidth too much. Though if I remember right by default it doesn;t download them but you need to ask it to download them.

WILL
05-09-2005, 07:34 AM
So images are nothing but a hinderence to your smart phone huh?

Is there any similarity to any other device or device standard?

I would be willing to do a non-graphical page for this purpose, something to fit in a nice small screen. It might even play to the likings of those that still don't like the marginal load of the current setup...

Has anyone visited BojZ Games' PDA site? What do you guys think of it?

Oh and no need to worry about frames, I don't use em. ;) But it's good to know though.

cairnswm
05-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Number of reasons images are bad for my phone - Download time and size (bandwidth is about 1000x more expensive with my phone) If they dont add anything I dont want them :)

R10 per Meg download, vs R500 for 3G download using ADSL (Which I dont have :( )

I've only ever done it with my phone so cant compare other devices.

WILL
05-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Ah well to do a non-graphical forums section, it would require to convert image links and bbcode tags into "[IMG]" links that are clickable or something of this nature.

What about tiny images like icons for things like the library and the articles section? GIFs can be rather un-taxng on bandwidth if properly optimized. (Meanning mere bytes per icon.)

cairnswm
05-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Get something basic up and I'll test it for you.

Maybe make two simple pages - one with small images - one without images and let me know - I'll have a look

cairnswm
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Updated my phone settings so that I can access the Internet again. So if you want me to test something just let me know.

WILL
07-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Ok, might be a while before I actually make the 'mini' site... but when I do, I'll let you know. ;)

Is there any resources or materials I can read about making PDA capable sites? Or something like a guide for conventions and generally accepted standards?