PDA

View Full Version : What trackers do you use?

WILL
05-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey you crazy trackers! So what are your programs of choice?

It's been a while since I've heard of many popular trackers being used. Impulse Tracker (www.lim.com.au/ImpulseTracker/) seems to be the last BIG one left ringing in my ears, besides the recently open sourced MPT. (ModPlug Tracker (www.sourceforge.net/projects/modplug/))

I have heard of others, but they are not talked about so much where I've visited. Then again I've been 'out of the loop' for some time now. ;)

CheeseTracker (www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetracker/), BeRoTracker (www.berotracker.de) (Made in Pascal!), Impulse Tracker III (www.unreal64.net/it3/) (Will this ever get made???), MadTracker (www.madtracker.org), SoundTracker (www.soundtracker.org) and Renoise (www.renoise.com) are the only others that I am aware of.

BeRo
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey you crazy trackers! So what are your programs of choice?

It's been a while since I've heard of many popular trackers being used. Impulse Tracker (www.lim.com.au/ImpulseTracker/) seems to be the last BIG one left ringing in my ears, besides the recently open sourced MPT. (ModPlug Tracker (www.sourceforge.net/projects/modplug/))

I have heard of others, but they are not talked about so much where I've visited. Then again I've been 'out of the loop' for some time now. ;)

CheeseTracker (www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetracker/), BeRoTracker (www.berotracker.de) (Made in Pascal!), Impulse Tracker III (www.unreal64.net/it3/) (Will this ever get made???), MadTracker (www.madtracker.org), SoundTracker (www.soundtracker.org) and Renoise (www.renoise.com) are the only others that I am aware of.

MadTracker is also written with Delphi, and not only my BeRoTracker :) .
And before I forgot to say it, FruityLoops is also written in Delphi, this is also the reason, that FruityLoops is only for Win32 .
Many great musicprograms and win32only vst(i) plugins (example from www.tobybear.de ) are written in Delphi/FreePascal.

Legolas
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Some years ago I used FastTracker (THE tracker and made in pascal, if I remember correctly) to make some covers of Alice in Chains (someone like?) and remix of my songs. Recently I worked with Renoise, that's very similar to FT.

WILL
05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Wow, I had no idea! :o

Well thats really cool. And I found a new tracker to my list. ;) But I have to ask; Will BeRoTracker be moving to FPC for cross-platform availability?

Legolas
06-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh, I forgotten Skale Tracker (http://www.skale.org/)! I used it also and seems very good.
I'll search in my old floppies some MODs to post :wink:

BeRo
06-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Wow, I had no idea! :o

Well thats really cool. And I found a new tracker to my list. ;) But I have to ask; Will BeRoTracker be moving to FPC for cross-platform availability?

The BeRoTracker playerengine is already "compilable" with FreePascal since months. http://www.berotracker.de/downloads/blp This is a linux player with my BeRoTracker engine (requires libsdl, because I haven't found any good ALSA headers for FreePascal). The runtime error at program exiting is caused by the SDL audiothread (-> i guess it's a heapmanager problem)

And here some screenshots of the new unreleased BeRoTracker Version under linux http://www.0ok.de/files/screenshots/BeRoTracker/linux/wine . This is the win32 build under wine. A native linux build comes later, because I will be using no SDL etc. (-> own window handling code, own ALSA audio output, midi device input&output code etc.): And the GUI is OpenGL powered. :)

WILL
06-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Legolas: Awesome, I can't wait. :D Maybe we can make a MOD playback engine for GBA eventually? ;)

Hmm... I wonder which is the best(most responsive with little lag) playback engine ALSA, OSS or SDL? I'm I correct in that OSS was replaced by ALSA? I forget and have had Linux installed a few brief times on my laptop.

Also, whats the story with BeRoTracker Classic? Can you perhaps get it crossed over to Lazarus' VCL(I forget the name of it) or are you going to abandon it for the IT GUI? As much as I like it, it's far to laggy. :? But I bet you can make it run smoother and more responsive, right? ;)

BeRo
06-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Legolas: Awesome, I can't wait. :D Maybe we can make a MOD playback engine for GBA eventually? ;)

Hmm... I wonder which is the best(most responsive with little lag) playback engine ALSA, OSS or SDL? I'm I correct in that OSS was replaced by ALSA? I forget and have had Linux installed a few brief times on my laptop.

Also, whats the story with BeRoTracker Classic? Can you perhaps get it crossed over to Lazarus' VCL(I forget the name of it) or are you going to abandon it for the IT GUI? As much as I like it, it's far to laggy. :? But I bet you can make it run smoother and more responsive, right? ;)

No OSS isn't replaced by ALSA. OSS is a commerical product, and ALSA is free. But ALSA has a OSS emulation layer, so far I know.

I'm planning a new OpenGL (window-based skinable) GUI Engine in the moment, for BeRoTracker and for a new "commerical" Sequencer/Tracker/MusicStudio hybird (a mix from FruityLoops, a normal tracker and Cubase) from me.

WILL
15-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Ah! The BeRoTracker Classic version lives! :)

What about updating the download page to reflect the different available downloads of BeRoTracker? It's kind of hard to make sense of all the different download links.

BeRo
15-09-2005, 12:04 PM
[quote="WILL"]Ah! The BeRoTracker Classic version lives! :)

What about updating the download page to reflect the different available downloads of BeRoTracker? It's kind of hard to make sense of all the different download ]

http://www.berotracker.de/downloads/setup.exe This is the correct link to the Classic version now. See http://www.berotracker.de/portal/zeige_thread.php?id=355

chronozphere
31-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I use Renoise with my MIDI-keyboard. :P

This works great. Renoise is very easy to learn and you can get good results in a very short time.
You only need a quite large sample database (wich i have after a lot of searching and downloading), and maybe some VST-plugins.