PDA

View Full Version : Ozone

WILL
07-09-2005, 06:06 AM
<table width=100%><tr><td valign=middle align=center width=248>files/news/2005_09_07_ozone.png</td><td class=newsContent valign=top>Ozone is a new open source 3D marble game released. The game is being made with Delphi & Kylix. And graphics APIs SDL and OpenGL are used.

The author is asking for level designers for those that are interested in helping.</td></tr></table>

Check out Ozone at ozone.cjb.cc ('http://ozone.cjb.cc/')

ozone
07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
thanks for reporting!

anyone interessed in designing levels, or helping in any other way?

/ozone

WILL
08-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey ozone, welcome to the site! :)

I think to increase the interest in the game you'll have to tell us more about your game.

ie. Whats it about? It's a sort of 'puzzle game' with marbles, right? The website is at best... vague. Users are going to need mor information about it to want to download and play it, nevermind help you design levels for it.

A bit of 'hype' to excite the prospective player wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Just a few tips from someone who has released and organized a few game projects in my day. :)

ozone
08-09-2005, 08:12 AM
ok.

if someone knows oxyd or enigma, things would be lots easier..

ozone is a game similar to oxyd, but in 3d. the goal is to find and open matching pairs of "oxyd stones" (those with the blue pyramids on top). Each opened oxyd stone will show a small, colored, bouncing ball on top. If you want the stone to stay open, you have to hit a same-colored stone next. If you hit another colored stone, it will open, but the prevoriously opened stone will close again. (once you opened a matching pair, it's safe and will not close again) You win a level by opening all oxyd stones. Simple? - Yes! Easy? - Not always, as there are hazars that may break your marble. For this reason, you start with two extra marbles (blue balls in inventary) and you'll find some of these in the very first level.
There are other items, too. Normally they are picked up by rolling over, and then they appear in the inventay box (at bottom of the screen). You can rotate the inventary by using the right mouse button, and use the leftmost item with the left button. Some objects are simply dropped on the square you are, others will be used (and are gone then). For example the umbrella will protect you from every danger, and it will enable you to fly, but only for a few seconds after using it.

there are other objects and items, but it's the best to play a few levels now, and ask questions after that.

/ozone

Traveler
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I played it yesterday and its quite fun. Despite te fact that it took a moment to figure out what I had to do. The sound was a bit sqeeky at first, but the latest fix corrected it.

Perhaps you could show cairnswm how you did it, because his games have the same sound problem. :)

Anyway I came as far as the level with the umbrellas. No idea what I have to do there :?
After pressing some random keys I did discover the (secret?) key to finish a level though :D

ozone
08-09-2005, 11:03 AM
sound problem: JEDI-SDL seems to read some defaults from driver values at compile time.
the first build (in the main archive) was cross-compiled on linux using WINE, and the fix is unchanged, but built on windows xp... or delphi doesn't run correctly under the WINE emulation...

the secret "solve/skip" key is, depending on the version, S or F12. the normal (0.15) release uses S, but the latest beta (http://ozone.cjb.cc/ozone-016-b2.rar:mrgreen:) uses F12, as there is a battle mode, and the second player steers with W,A,S,D. There is a level selection menu in this version, too...

and i think it's time for a key mapping table...

key&#40;s&#41; function&#40;s&#41;
------------------------------------------
Arrows First player alternative controls
SPACE First player zoom away &#40;toggle!&#41;
PageUp/-Down First player control sensivity adjust
Left Mouse First player use leftmost item
Right Mouse First player rotate inventary
TAB First player switch mouse<>arrow keys
SHIFT First player turn view &#40;*&#41;
W,A,S,D Second player steer
1 Second player zoom away
2 Second player turn view &#40;*&#41;
3,4 Second player control sensivity adjust
ESC Cancel/Exit/Abort &#40;level, level menu, exit the game&#41;
F12 Solve the current level

&#40;*&#41;&#58; to turn the view you have to HOLD DOWN the "turn key" &#40;shift of 2&#41; and then press Left/Right arrow or A/D to rotate the views in 90 degree steps. &#40;controls are relative to view&#41;

in the last level, you have to pick up the umbrella (roll over, it will disappear from map but appear in the inventary), rotate the inventary using the right mouse button till the umbrella is leftmost, and then press the left mouse button to use it. if done right, it disappears from inventary, but a transparent, yellow sphere will now cover you marble. now you are able to fly. but hurry. try to get some umbrellas before the protecting sphere disappears again. before it disappears, it gets red. You may use a second umbrella, even when the first is still running, this will reset the remaining time.
hope you understand my english, it's not the best...

/ozone

ozone
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
the ozone website has moved:
http://ozone.game-host.org/ is the new address, and there is a wiki at http://ozone.game-host.org/wiki/

/ouone