PDA

View Full Version : What're you all working on?

Traveler
10-09-2005, 11:50 AM
PGD activity seems to be on it's back again. News has dropped to an item per week or so, new forum topics are barely made and if there are any, it only gets a reply or two. Not really sure what it is, but it does bring some thoughts to mind, I really shouldn't have.

Anyway, since you is not doing any posting, I figured something else is keeping you busy. So what is it?
A new book you really have to read? A GF thats keeping you doing stuff all day long? A cool project, the world is still not ready to know about? A game that is taking every hour of the day? Or have you gone over to the dark side, and abandoned Pascal/Delphi? :)

Robert Kosek
10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm trying to add to my "juggling" a small project, at this stage just a ASCII RPG, for a bit of experience in that area. I'll eventually start using SDL for graphics though. ;)

tux
10-09-2005, 02:47 PM
im juggling my time between making a control panel (administrative and user) for a game server host. and physics stuff for an engine

JSoftware
10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
i'm trying to find out how to make a good modular 3d engine. I guess the count of scrapped engines today is about 15. i've just completed optimizing my vector math library with handcoded sse instructions and my matrix math library is halfway sse optimized

technomage
10-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi busy working on my current project http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/viewdoc.asp?doc=319. I've been implementing a event system and playback systems for a demo which I hope to release in a month or so just so I can get an idea on how it performs on other machines.

I'm hoping to get some more interesting screen shots up in a few days, the planets are nice and all that, but I know everyone want to see vipers :-)

Crisp_N_Dry
10-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm just working on my multi purpose 2D engine. Nothing specific, I just want it to be able to do the GFX (Hardware Accelerated where available or software if not), sounds and sprite managed and all the rest of it, might make future projects a bit easier.

WILL
10-09-2005, 09:55 PM
technomage: Hey Dean, I made a sort of reply post ('viewtopic.php?p=16015#16015') to your Viper comment in the News thread for your BSG game.

I have been a bit busy with work and as soon as I got home I dropped dead asleep. :P

I am also almost finished my article, pending serveral images as a bit of finishing touches. I has proven to be a bit more work than I though. (Well it is a 14 page article after all. :))

K4Z
11-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm currently remaking a heap of projects that I lost when my HDD died a few months ago, and trying to figure out code from old uncommented back ups.

I'm also working madly on a ton of models for {MSX}'s turn based game. And also implementing new widgets for the GUI.

Traveler
11-09-2005, 10:55 AM
It's good to see you're all still busy :D

My 4E4 entry is still in progress. Latest challenge is to get my head around the A* algoritm. Fortunately I found a good beginners (http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm) page that does a pretty nice job of explaning the whole thing.

cairnswm
11-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I am still working too hard at work:( I was hoping to be spending 2 to 3 hours a day now on my 4E4 entry but havn't even opened it again. I will probably be making some changes to my Run-A-War entry for the contest instead.

I have been asked to do a presentation on 'Getting your game projects finished' for the Local Game Expo (Biggest computer game expo in South Africa, includes a 700 PC lan - sold out a month before the expo). So I am spending quite some time on this also.

Also trying to complete a chess game.

Have had a nice easy idea of a game to make for my kids to play against each other. I'll probably spend some time on it over the next few days. Anyone played Highway Pursuit?

Over the last two weekends I have also planted my vegetable garden (Cauliflower, Lettuce, Pumpkin, Sweetmelon, Gen Squash and Butternut so far).

When I get home too tired to work on my games I read books instead - Over the last 2 weeks I have read 2 Disk Francis stories, 3 Robert Heinlein books and just bought another "? Rama" book from Arthur C Clarke to read this week.

Daikrys
12-09-2005, 09:55 AM
iam currently do 2D Artwork and 3D models for some people i know
and if i had time i work on my 3D engine and my 3D jump'n run engine.

i dropped down my 4E4 entry, because i havnt the time :cry:

great to see that everyone is doing something and its also great to see that traveler is doing an entry for the 4E4

Sly
12-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I was moving house for the past week. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate in only a year and a half. Now we've had to fit all that accumulated stuff into a storage shed and the parent's-in-law's house while the in-law's are in England and America for another couple of months.

Work has been keeping me busy on the still as-yet unannounced project.

Delphi has not even been opened for a couple of weeks. Shame on me. I'll have to get back to work on something soon.

In my trolling through GameDev.Net forums tonight, I found this great article (http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=693). It's a transcript of a talk given by a games journalist at Freeplay this year about getting your indie game covered in the gaming media.

Traveler
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for putting that one up! It's a good read :)

Sascha Willems
12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
As for me, real life recently took over and I'm sadly getting almost no time at all for coding, and which makes it even sadder is the fact that it's not positive real-life stuff like a girl friend or a great new job, no, it's the whole opposite :cry:

Si I'd really like to start some bigger project again (using advanced physics and 3D stuff), but I neither have enough time nor enough motivation to do such a thing anymore. So right now I'm doing very few coding. Except finishing up and adding some smaller things to my NewtonPlayground I'm not doing anything. I've recently decided to open up my personal blog (clicky (http://saschawillems.blogspot.com)) where I try to tell what I'm up to, in the hopes to push my motivation up a bit (it helped, but not nearly as much as I hoped to).

jasonf
14-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Busy Busy Busy :D ... In C++ though (STOP Throwing those rocks!).. <<hides>>

MystikShadows
14-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I got 4 Projects in Pascal

1. A Startrek like Game, all text but still pretty good (as far as user interface design goes) taking ASCII to it's extreme limit here ;-).

2. Not started yet but I want to get my feet wet on 3D gaming, maybe I'll make a 3D version of Startrek

3. This is just for my own personal "accomplishment" saying "I can do it to" lol..but I'm working on a spreadsheet program that will be atleast as good as Quattro Pro for DOS. No wisywig mode...windows console application :-)....no ram problem and access to the printers should help :-).

4. A professional quality MIDI Sequencer application that offers anything standard sequencers offer (like cakewalk and others) but also a special sequencing mode specialized for live, improvized performances.

:-) that should keep me busy a bit lol.

BlueCat
17-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm playing with fractals at the moment, trying to make trees and flowers and stuff and failing quite well at it :?

The more I try to make 3d content myself, the more I think 2d programmer art billboards would be a better idea. :roll:

BenBE
20-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm up with setting up a new homepage layout for Omorphia (http://www.omorphia.org/) with the team thus I'm hardly on programming anything. Furthermore I'm waiting for some part of source to be done before continuing.

technomage
20-09-2005, 06:42 PM
The more I try to make 3d content myself, the more I think 2d programmer art billboards would be a better idea. :roll:

I had the same problem. I think it's all about the tools. Before i found Milkshape (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/) I got nowhere with building 3D models, I tried 3D studio, Max, blender, Truespace none of which worked. i also didn't get on with generating textures until I found inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org). Which is a open source Corel Xara style art package. :)