PDA

View Full Version : Software that does.. nothing.. but looks cool?

Rahakasvi
13-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi.

This may sound stupid, but couples of days ago I was watching one (cannot remember the name of) movie. In that movie some guy used computer where there was all kinds of lights and pictures and stuff. Basically it looked cool. It is really hard to explain, but haven't you always laughed to those programs in movies which requires a lots of keyboard pressings to do some function (which is something like zoom image unlimited without pixelating it)?

I would like to have that kind of software. It doesn't have to do anything but generally it must look extremely cool. :P

I'm needing help in the making it look cool side. So if there are any user-interface designers here, let me know, so I can make the program of my dreams? eh? You got the point.

ps. I might sound insane, but I'm serious.. 8)

Balaras
13-09-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm needing help in the making it look cool side.
So what you ar saying is that you'll take care of the part that does nothing? :D

Traveler
13-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Sounds like the winning lottery ticket to me :)
Create something that does absolutely nothing, but looks extremely cool.

Well then, define 'extremely cool' and I'm your man. :D

tux
13-09-2005, 07:48 PM
i think the movies use things like desktopx from stardock.

but ill give you a hand with the part that does nothing if you want ;)

MystikShadows
13-09-2005, 09:49 PM
This is just like the startrek LCARS interface...looks cool, powerful, the right look for the type of computer it's supposed to be...but atleast 90% of what you see on the screen is a bunch of randomly generated numbers (even on the user interface themselves) that really have no relation to what's being shown on the screen or any standard numbering sysem for the LCARS user interface components themselves...just makes them look advanced and sscientific beyond our comprehension LOL. But the effect is there ;-) and it's very convincing. Dont you think? :-)

JSoftware
13-09-2005, 10:02 PM
wasting cpu cycles at nothing?..?

I'm your man 8)

Making it look good.. well.. you better find someone else then :P

Rahakasvi
14-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh man, some of you actually discovered my evil genious plot.. damn.

Okey but for the program.

What kind of "features" it should contain?

The random numbers in somewhere is must-do.
And I think it should be blueish interface.
And somewhere rotating 3d human figure =)
Oh and of course that red "Access denied" dialog or green "Access granted" ;)

Any more great ideas?

MystikShadows
14-09-2005, 06:27 PM
You could, of course, do a 3D useless world. Where you venture in the world to look around...nothing to find, no one to kill, no one to rescue, no thing anywhere. NYC Dump world..;-) lol

Rahakasvi
17-09-2005, 09:15 AM
MystikShadows, Not quite what I was seeking, but thanks.

MystikShadows
17-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I didn't think it would be, just throwing nothingness in the air ;-).

BlueCat
17-09-2005, 12:33 PM
You could, of course, do a 3D useless world. Where you venture in the world to look around...nothing to find, no one to kill, no one to rescue, no thing anywhere. NYC Dump world..;-) lol

I've already made that ;) If I added some beepy sounds and some random numbers and put it on eBay I wonder how much I'd get for it!

Sly
17-09-2005, 11:10 PM
What you need is HollywoodOS (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?HollywoodOs).