PDA

View Full Version : WILL's new crazy idea...

WILL
17-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Ok this may sound totally off the wall and crazy, but what are the odds that we might be able to figure out how to support newer platforms like the Revolution?

Now they say that they want to help smaller developers into the market, so...

I know it might be easier to add support for MIPS and then add Playstation or XBox support, but it's the Revolution that has the greatest potential to allow for actual commercial games to be published as a marketed title.

Opinions?

WILL
17-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Oh and to add some directon to my idea...

# CPU: IBM G5 Custom x 4 2.5GHz cores, level 1 cache 128KB, a level 2 cache 512KB share

# GPU: RN520 x 2core 16MB eDRAM, PC R520 AMR technology supports 720p and 1080i.

These are said to be the the 'Hollywood' and 'Broadway' processors that will be in the Revolution.

Traveler
17-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Man, that's so far off the wall I can't even see the wall anymore :)

But seriously, IMO its a bit early to venture into yet another platform. But then, if you fancy doing that sort of thing. :roll:

WILL
17-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Well, I've gotten basic GBA support added didn't I?

MystikShadows
18-09-2005, 12:21 AM
You're talking about the EJOSA Revolutions platform right?

From what I'm seeing, we'd need to pascally (not to say basically lol) make freepascal perhaps compile to java bytecode. Or create a translator to create java classes from delphi sourcecode that can then be compiled under Revolutions. I would think.

WILL
18-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Actaully I'm thinking of the new next gen Nintendo Revolution console.

{MSX}
18-09-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree with will :P
For example it would be far better to support a brand new console than an old one like GBA (that is already almost dead, see PSP).
I know anyway that supporting that kind of console can be much harder..

Bye! :P

WILL
18-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Well GBA is more or less a stepping stone for the DS I think.

They are both of the same processor family. AND some of the hardware is bound to act and operate the same.

If I'm right all GBA games will run on the DS. I haven't ran into a game yet that the DS did not support.

As far as being a dead system though, not quite yet. Developers still make GBA games though it's slowing down and turning over to DS instead slowly, but there is even a new model of GBA coming out soon. The GBA Micro!

I think the idea of the new handheld is a more sleek and compact hardware design. But it goes to show that the hardware is more than sufficent for some time.

As for the PSP? It's good, it's great in fact, but Nintendo is focusing on more innovative fun rather than the more mainstream gaming that everyone is used to. This though often taboo can open huge doors for indie and small time developers to enter into the market.

The support of a system like Revolution would be the same only multiplied by a thousand! And more rue to the classic ideals of game programming when games were mor about gameplay than graphics and sound presentations.

Sly
18-09-2005, 01:37 PM
As a console games developer, I currently have a PS2 devkit, Xbox devkit and a GameCube devkit sitting on my desk at work. I use all three daily and I have to say that the GameCube devkit is the most difficult, pain-in-the-arse devkit to use out of all three by a very long margin. I'm not placing any bets on Nintendo making the Revolution devkit very easy to use either.

WILL, perhaps the new GP2X (http://www.gbax.com/indexgp2x.html) would be a more feasible target for now? It is multiple CPU (dual 200MHz CPUs, to prepare you for when you have to deal with several CPUs on the next-gen consoles), it is based on Linux, and it is all open for people to develop for.

WILL
18-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Hmm... well it certanly would be a lot closer to home from the PC market.

Once I figure out which processors they are I can give you a more accurate set of thoughts. I've only just heard of this wonderful toy moments ago to be quite honest. It looks great and would love to encourage development on it using Pascal.

As for thes DevKits. Perhaps you can lay some questions to rest, working on consoles professionally as one probably be doing so 'the mainstream way'.

Can you see these dev kits being of some use or insight for a FPC compiler programmer?

Sly
18-09-2005, 02:29 PM
All of the tools for the devkits are aimed at C/C++ development only. The application needs to link to libraries provided by the hardware manufacturer. Doing this with FPC would be a monumental task. Then you have the cost. A PS2 devkit is about AUD$25,000. I'm not sure on the costs for the others, but it is in the thousands.

WILL
19-09-2005, 09:06 PM
I think that the Nintendo devkits would be the lower of the 3 companies, but probably not much lower.

Well FPC uses the GNU Linker if that has any consideration ot it. But that will come into conflict with Synopsis' new linker project eventually.

savage
24-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Sly, What is easier to use, the PS3 dev kit or the X360's dev kit?