PDA

View Full Version : CodeTyphon vs. Lazarus

Darkhog
10-07-2013, 04:02 AM
I'm considering changing IDE to CodeTyphon, but to do that I need to know differences from upstream Lazarus. Can you provide list?

laggyluk
10-07-2013, 06:29 AM
I've checked CodeTyphoon some time ago but there was a problem with installation and I never touched it again. Is it alternative IDE for free pascal or/and Lazarus modification?

Sascha Willems
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm using CodeTyphon for cross-plattform development because it's easy to download, install or even create new crossbuild-toolchains withouth having to tinker with a terminal. Right now I've set it up on a 64-Bit Linux (Mint) and it allows me to compile to Linux 32, Linux 64, Windows 32 and Windows 64. For (the near) future I also plan on setting up cross compile to Mac OSX, so all the platforms I want to support can be compiled from a single development environment.

So if you do cross-platform stuff, I'd go for code typhon. The installation is pretty easy and adding new toolchains with ease is a real plus.

phibermon
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I've never heard of it personally but I'm definitely going to give it a go now. I've got cross-compilation working perfectly fine with scripts etc I've never had a problem, I'm more interested if the IDE allows me to work quicker than Lazarus.

EDIT : it's just a modifed, packaged up version of Lazarus? I've already modified Lazarus to add things I want and I don't need any help setting up cross compilation. Waste of time unless there's actually tangible additions over Lazarus.

Edit Again : they have done absolutely nothing but add a logo, just some fly by night opportunists that are using the hard work of the Lazarus team to polish their own profile.

Just download the source to FPC and compile it, install Lazarus etc it's really not difficult. These people deserve absolutely no user-base, they've pretty much hidden the fact that it's Lazarus, claiming that *they* are improving it all the time.

Edit Again Again : There's a few examples and a component they've added, that's it. oh and the logo. And all the packages they've added, as if it were their own work, are things like AGGPas, Box2D etc.

What an insult! I'll zip up my lazarus shall I, add my engine then call it 'Code Master 2000'.

Dan
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Like phibermon has already mentioned CodeTyphon is just a fat version of Lazarus.

phibermon
10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Sorry I've only just gotten up, I'm probably being a little bit unfair ;) but they should make it a lot clearer that it's other peoples work that they're packaging up. The whole site is worded very much like they are the soul creators.

If any of the devs are reading by the way, I explicitly deny you permission to add any of my code to your project. And in addition I'll add a clause to the open licence I use if I must, specifically stating that inclusion of the source-code in any form of development like project is dependant upon that project clearly stating, where everybody can see it, who's work they've included, in what capacity and to provide links to those projects.

You should be *proud* to say you've included work from others, you should acknowledge your appriciation of their work and make effort to funnel users their way. You don't hide it all so you can pretend you're awesome.

In the docs for my engine I even credit projects that have inspired me let alone bits of code I've used, if I feel that any design I've seen has influenced mine then it's stated.

Credit where credit is due.

Sascha Willems
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that's true. The "sell" something like it was their work which acutally isn't. I'm still not 100% sure on wether to continue using it or to even promote it, as it actually lacks a reference to Lazarus.

marcov
03-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah, that's true. The "sell" something like it was their work which acutally isn't. I'm still not 100% sure on wether to continue using it or to even promote it, as it actually lacks a reference to Lazarus.

Moreover it is not very transparent and not very accountable. It is not clear what they changed and what not. Not much flows back into Lazarus, not even quality bugreports. Despite their somewhat annoying advocacy, they do some nice work with packaging (I'm less impressed with their Lazarus changes), but I'm afraid that when CT collapses, nothing from those efforts will live on.

As a style comment, personally I don't like their renaming of units either.

Rodrigo Robles
03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree with Phibermon. CodeTyphoon is a so great insult to the Open Source developers that if I ever meet one of the codetyphon developers I will punch the guy right in the face.

Sascha Willems
03-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree with Phibermon. CodeTyphoon is a so great insult to the Open Source developers that if I ever meet one of the codetyphon developers I will punch the guy right in the face.

I actually came to that very same conclusion. They really hide that CT is actually only based on FPC / Lazarus, and especially on their website they market it as it was their own work.

So I decided to not use it anymore and built the necessary cross-compilers that I need myself and went back to lazarus again.

WILL
04-08-2013, 12:27 AM
I had poked at the Code Typhon website a few times and had thought about writing news posts and following it's progress as I would ANY Pascal-related game development project, but I never gave it much coverage it seems. I do recall having a hard time trying to get elaboration on what their offerings were exactly and to what was included and from where. I can see just from reading all of your comments that there may have been reason for this.

Simply just not having the time as an excuse I'll probably not do an in depth news posting about it, however I do feel that this is something that would work as a great news post (not just showing it off, but instead as a introductory review of sorts) to tell an unbiased perspective of what these guys are offering. Let people know what they are doing and have them form their own opinions about what their project means.

The project overall does seem very sketchy and I'm not happy to be hearing that people are having their hard work released under open licenses for the benefit of the community taken advantage of in such a negative way. This may not be intentional, but then again, I've not looked too closely at it with the excuse that I just didn't have the time. Probably more so that I didn't take the time.

That said, it really is important to support the projects that you love and think would benefit the community and help the language flourish in the game making world. ...and those that you don't well, if noone uses them you all know what happens to those. :)

sternas
24-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Guys...
I don't have a lot of time to post and here
but
I read and follow this forum for 12 years now,
so, I am here for any question
thanks

Sternas Stefanos
CodeTyphon Architect and Programmer

wodzu
25-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Guys...
I don't have a lot of time to post and here
but
I read and follow this forum for 12 years now,
so, I am here for any question
thanks

Sternas Stefanos
CodeTyphon Architect and Programmer

Well, I think that question was quite obvious: why there is no reference to the Lazarus in the description of CodeTyphon?

dj_sharp
26-04-2014, 08:52 AM
CodeTyphon does not support multiple installations which means u can have only one version/instance of CodeTyphon working on ur PC.

It also supports installation only on C: drive on Windows; so if u want to install CodeTyphon on D: drive, then ur doomed.

I have two physical drives installed; a solid state drive is mounted as C:, that is why I do not want to install CodeTyphon on C: drive; that is why I don't use it.

As far as I remember, CodeTyphon contains trunk FPC while I prefer using stable FPC branch; and that is another reason why I don't use CodeTyphon