PDA

View Full Version : Looking to break in to music/audio production for video game

fissionchips303
29-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Hello,

I just joined this board and am looking to find out more about the game development process. I'm an electronic music producer living in Seattle and I'm looking to take on a videogame project.

I have some experience doing incidental music, segways and SFX for websites. But, I would like to take on more projects, especially with a focus on video games. I would also like to just meet some game developers and get professional advice as to what they look for in a soundtrack, etc.

If you have the time to check out some of my material, here are mp3's of music I composed specifically for soundtrack use:
http://www.jonahdempcy.com

In terms of what styles I am capable of composing, I've worked primarily in electronic music and jazz but I've also worked on, for instance, a multimedia installation for Seattle's Experience Music Project, where we had rock musicians such as Michael Shrieve (Santana) and Andy Summers (The Police) providing tracks that would mix fluidly with hiphop, breakbeat and other styles. So, I'm definitely trying to produce material in a unique style to fit each project individually, rather than just applying a cookie-cutter "stamp" to my productions.

Some of the other projects I have worked on include providing music for the popular Flash game Banja (www.banja.com) and providing music and soundfx for game developer Seth Robinson, creator of the seminal Legend of the Red Dragon door.

Other than that, I have mostly produced music for websites, with a few indy film credits here and there. But, even though I may not have a huge amount of v.g. music-production experience, I am an avid videogame aficianado with a strong interest in producing music for games, and I look forward to working with some of you! :)

Again, here are links to my portfolio. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome!

http://www.jonahdempcy.com <-- soundtrack composition

http://www.revolutionvoid.com <-- electronic breakbeat jazz

Thanks!

-Jonah

Firlefanz
29-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Hello fissionchips303,

you have an interesting site, I have to hear some samples later. :D

What are you looking for, what do you want from us?

Do you offer your work, do you look for freelance work, free work or paid work? Do you want to join a hobby project or a professional project?

Firle

fissionchips303
29-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Firlefanz,

I'm looking to meet game developers to possibly collaborate with on upcoming projects. I would like to maintain a professional level of quality, but I know there are a bunch of 'professional' hobbyists out there with other jobs, so that's fine, too.

In terms of payment, it all depends how cool the project is, how much time it will require of me, etc. I have no problem licensing my music for free if it's a cool project and isn't going to take up a lot of my time. But, if it's a commercial project with a "real" budget, then I would like to get paid reasonably for my time.

I'm also just curious to talk to other people in field and see what they look for in soundtrack music. Obviously it must meet some basic requirements like not being too distracting from whatever action is taking place on-screen, but what else does a music director (or whomever is choosing music for a game) look for?

I guess for me, I just try to make the audio congruent with the visuals. If the visual aspect of the production is very clean and 'light,' then I don't want dark, heavy music to accompany it. No, I would try to make the sound quality appropriate for the project.

Thanks for your interest! I'm curious to hear your thoughts, questions etc.

WILL
30-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi fissionchips,

Welcome to PGD!

I think you'll be able to find lots of interested teams and projects here. ;) Also please feel free to post about music, sound editing and any other topics you feel would be on interest in the 'Sound & Music' forum.

If you have any suggestions you have to improve the site, they will be quite welcome.

Also you'll find that most PGD members, though not obligated, like to contribute to the entire community. Which makes things easier on everyone here in their own efforts. :)

fissionchips303
30-09-2005, 07:55 AM
All right, sounds like an active community here! I'm glad to hear it.

In the spirit of sharing with the whole community, then, I'll put a bunch of music and sound effects I've made online, for anyone to use for free. I'll probably use a Creative Commons license to release it to the public domain, or, in the case of the music, a license granting use for anything you want (including for-profit work, derivations, etc) as long as I receive credit for the original. But in the case of sound effects, I might as well just release them to the public domain, without any requirements whatsoever.

So, I'll make two download pages, one for audio content that I would like to receive credit for, and another that does not require credit (truly public domain). In either case though, it would be a free audio resource for the game developer community, offering sound-packs of one-shot samples, loops, ambient sfx and background music. I'll let you all know when that's online!

In the meantime, I'm still inviting any game developers in search of audio to contact me and we can talk, whether it is a paid project or not. If it's a cool, fun project, I am willing to work just for the experience. So don't hesitate to message/email me with projects.

Thanks again,

-Jonah

Sly
30-09-2005, 11:15 AM
That sounds great. I can do code and some graphics, but music is definitely a weakness in my skill set.

WILL
30-09-2005, 10:34 PM
That sounds great! :)

I'm sure you'll receive great responses from it. Currently the only other musician that I know of and posts regularly is BeRo. He's also the author of a tracker called BeRoTracker (Tracker programs aren't known for their laborate naming schemes are they? ;))

Well not speaking as site manager here; I do have my own little project that I've been wroking on. I'm undecided as to what level I will take it. I would love to make a Shareware or commercial game out of it.

But I am mostly making the game for fun. (If I make the game freeware, I'll most likely release the sources too.)

Here is the links about my game project: Story (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=2042) and Work-in-progress stuff (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=2019)

Nowhere near ready to deck it out with music and sound effects, just yet, but I do have some concept art(from verious artists) and some of what KAZ (the artist working on the character designs for the 'demo' or possible 'shareware version') has done. Design documents pending. ;)

Odds are, it will become a shareware game.

fissionchips303
14-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey all,

Sorry for not responding for so long. I finally got some free audio samples (sound effects, music cues, segues) online, as .MP3 and .WAV, for anyone to download and use for free in their games!

I've released audio content through a number of different licenses, depending ... Some of it is just simply Public Domain which means you can do whatever you want with it, and no credit is required. Other audio has been released through a Creative Commons Sampling+ License which allows you to use it for anything you want, but giving me credit.

Then, I released some of my best work under licenses that allow you to freely distribute/share it, but if you want to use it in a commercial project you need permission. (But I will most likely give it, so don't hesitate to ask!)

The website is http://www.jonahdempcy.comand I'm trying to organize it into sections based on what you're looking for. Here's what I have so far...

* Samples (for making your own music)

* Sound effects (for videogames etc)

* Segues (short songs 20-60 seconds in length)

* Music cues (one-shot "music" sound effects like a rimshot drum hit, or a short melody etc...)

* Full songs

Of the full songs, I've written descriptions explaining what they could be used for, if they're more background songs or theme songs, if they're ambient, and so on.

I've also continued releasing music under my electronic breakbeat project Revolution Void. Much of that music is available for licensing as well, so feel free to check out the site if you're looking for electronic tracks to use in a game. (http://www.revolutionvoid.com)

I just released a new album, Increase the Dosage:

http://www.revolutionvoid.com/gfx/itd_art_by_shawn_wolfe.png

It's a Creative Commons-licensed net-release that comes in a hyperlinked web package. (You can get it at the above site, or at http://www.legaltorrents.com)

All right, that's about it for the new audio. I'll be working on www.jonahdempcy.com adding more content shortly, with the intent of building it into a resource for free samples, sound effects and soundtrack music! :)

Thanks for your time,

-Jonah

PS: Thanks for the links, Will. I'll check out your project! Also, I haven't used BeRoTracker but incidentally I got my start on trackers. I used to use ScreamTracker3, ImpulseTracker and eventually FastTracker2. I haven't used them for quite a few years but I'll definitely check out the BeRoTracker .. had no idea people were still releasing new ones! ;)