PDA

View Full Version : Need Synth-Style tunes for Robo-Scroller Game!

WILL
04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok, this'll be the first actual Project Leader's music request on PGD I guess.

I'm looking for a theme for my game more so than a whole score for all of it. I'd like it to be in the synthisized type of style like the 'Mega-Man' games and 'Journey To Sillius' (another NES console game).

I'm not talking quality, but music style. I liked the old era where you could run through levels blasting enemies with that high energy rush of the music. It also had a bit of a magestic feel to some of the tunes aswell.

The story for my game is located here: Clicky! (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=12614#12614)

And the original concept art(works that were gathered, but not made for this game) is located here: Clicky! (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=16157#16157)

Work on the graphics of the main character is located here: Clicky! (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=16467#16467) (It's a lengthy process ;))

WILL
04-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Common Musicians! :) I know you are out there... :think:

speed-focus
17-12-2005, 01:22 AM
I'd like to try something... What format do you want the music in?

WILL
17-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Excellent!

I'd be happy with either XM or IT. I take it you prefer either one or the other? :)

speed-focus
17-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Well IT of course! :D

WILL
17-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Impulse Tracker it is! ;)

BTW, if you are currious, I'll be using SDL for the playback. 44100 playback on Win32 is crappy(you have to go down to 22050 to remove the staticy sound), but it does play well on Linux, so... :think: I say 44100 is just fine, as it will allow nicer playback on other platforms and maybe in the near future they will fix the win32 issue.

speed-focus
17-12-2005, 05:39 AM
I am curious always ;)

I don't really know anything about SDL, but I found some info suggesting the SDL Mixer library uses mikmod? It's nice to know since not all mod playing engines sound the same...

WILL
17-12-2005, 06:52 AM
I learned from a pervious tracker I worked with before, that it can make a difference in the playback of your track. This used to be a huge problem back when you had Cubic Player, the old ModPlug Plugin, MikMod Player, YAMP, DeliPlayer, WinMOD, etc, etc...

At least now you can now figure out how it will sound before moving on to something else that might not sound 'right' in the track either.

I'll try to put together a 'player' or sorts to test your work in to see how it'll playback. What OS platforms do you have available to you?

speed-focus
17-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Just Windows XP.

WILL
18-12-2005, 06:55 PM
So hows it coming? And ideas yet?

speed-focus
19-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm listening to Megaman music to get in the spirit ;) And also of course to the music of Turrican 2, quite possibly the best game music ever.

WILL
19-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Nice! :D

Oh, well you have to go to the PGD Library (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/library.php?show=list&cat=3#24) and read this article then.

'Music in Megaman Games'

We don't have a huge amount of sound and music production articles right now. Perhaps you can suggest any good ones that you know of?

Some of my favorites were in MegaMan 2. Especially the one for the first Dr. Wily level.

Well tell ya what come up with several different 'test' tracks. To see what I like and I'll choose from those and you can get a better idea of where I want to go with the music. You know what also would be fun...? Mixing in maybe some FF6/ChronoTrigger flavor into the mix too.

There is a dream sequence that the main character's robot has... with birds flying over a hill next to the ocean with a little stone building overlooking the water and mountains in the distance. Maybe you can play with ideas for that too?

Plus maybe some kind of action exciting general level music tacks too. Jsut to get the idea of the 'mood' and atmosphere of the game.

FNX
19-12-2005, 11:13 PM
I want to hire Chris Huelsbeck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

[for speed-focus]
I love that kind of music, and if you are interested in more than one collaboration let me know!! :)

speed-focus
20-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Interesting articles you've got here, I hadn't seen them before.

I'll try to come up with some test tracks, but don't expect too much too soon. Christmas is such a busy holiday.

FNX:
We'll see how this thing works out first, as I haven't really tried to make any 'game' music before.

WILL
22-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Ok sounds good. I have patience. Besides the project will be on hold for a wee bit, with respects to the competition anyhow.

Which btw, you are more than welcome to enter if you'd like. Or simply ask to team up with one of the programmers and try for the prizes together.

As for the library, I'm trying to find everything that I can that will be of good use in there. Specifically with reguards to AI and Sound/Music of late as they are areas that are slightly lacking currently.

WILL
13-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey speed-focus, hows things? And hows the tunage comin'?

I just heard a pair of terms for a genre that I think I'd like to hand to you and see what you can do with it. Cyber-punk Ambient and Cyber-punk Industrial. I was thinking of one of those really ambient, mellow sounding tracks for the menu screen. If you go and look at this post you'll see what the screen's menu graphics will look like. The one with the cool blue holo-graphic and electrical lettering...

Here is the post! (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=17951#17951) ;)

speed-focus
14-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Sad to say I'm still at the very beginning of things. Now that the holidays are over, and my hearing is back on track (I had a cold and couldn't hear properly for a week) things might get moving tho...

Cyber-punk Ambient and Cyber-punk Industrial eh? I have to say I have no idea what that the Cyber-punk parts are but I'm sure that'll work itself out. I like the look of the menu screen, very clean and stylish.

WILL
22-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Well I'm glad you are feeling better. Being sick sucks. :?

Well if you want to learn more about the cyber-punk culture/genre, I can recommend some games to look at. 'Beneith A Steel Sky', 'Dream Web', 'Syndicate', 'Shadowrunner'(with a bit of Fantasy/RPG mixed into it), 'Neruomancer' and 'Deus Ex' both 1 and 2.

For movies and TV series; 'Total Recall' the movie, 'Total Recall 2070' the TV series, 'Blade Runner', 'The Matrix' all 3, and of course 'Johnny Mnemonic' (bad movie, but taken right from William Gibson's stories).

For books; Anything by William Gibson(considered father of the Cyber-Punk genre) and Phillip P. Dick.

There are many other references, but those stand out themost in my mind. There was a pen & paper RPG game (like TSR's Dungeons & Dragons games) created called 'Cyber Punk' that seemd to take directly from Mr. Gibson and the Shadowrunner worlds and personified the genre accurately.