PDA

View Full Version : Two nights till bye bye!

WILL
04-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Well boys. And gal? :scratch: Athena never posts in the forums though. :?

I will be leaving on the Wed. for my 7 week long trip. During that time I'll be off-line. Some projects will be on hold. Others I can work on while I'm at sea on my laptop.

My biggest concern is this site. PGD had been born with a bang. We had over 40 registered members logged in a day. During the competition it was pretty high aswell. You notice how when staff of the site make a conserted effort the numbers go up? We add content, we interact more, we get more involved, more people come to see whats going on. PGD goes on...

I don't see a lot of that these days. Only a select few actually push to keep PGD running. And that sorely disapoints me, as I have put a lot of effort into it over the past couple of years. But thats not what bugs me the most. What really really bothers me is that if I were to stop trying so hard it would probably all just fall apart and be yet another fad, come and gone.

Sascha and savage are doing a lot now to keep the news going, as I made clear mention of as a problem before, but will that be enough? I know that if there were two of me, it would be easier to keep things running, but it wouldn't solve the issue.

We need a fully proactive staff who will Report News, write articles(I'm not talking HUGE novels)not just about the technical stuff, but the business and other sized of the whole game creation/development side of things.

There are small bugs and little perks to the site, but if noone is around to be modivated enough to run at any capacity, the site as it is, then who will honestly be there to do it when the site is 100% bug free?

Besides this I do have several other things that I'd like to do besides co-manage PGD. I have a new game that I am considering options for commercial production and I also have my upcoming studies at university next year. The latter leaving me no room to be at a management level for the site. I'll either reduce myself to being a Staff member or a simple Member of PGD then.

I hope that you guys use the time that I'm away to focus yourselves. Because after less than a years time there is going to be a whole lot less of me than a small 7 week period.

On a brighter note though. I will before I leave as management finish those remainning sections of the site I originally intended to create since launch. And I will be working out a small 'PGD Challenge' contest for the month of November. Come Feb/Mar we will also see the next Annual PGD Competition for 2006, that both savage and I will be organizing --and have been planning for some time now.

If I don't speak with you before I leave, I wish all my good friends here a safe few of weeks and great luck and fortune with their endevours.

Balaras
04-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi Will,

Although my timing has been know to be somewhat off before, this is propably a new high (low?) for me. I was about to PM you with an offer of help. Not with finding news or writing articles but with development.

I am currently between sparetime projects. Lasting, hopefully, a good while.

What I had in mind was creating a section devoted to the competitions. That is to manage entries, handle the scores, files, screens and such. But from the sound of it you need help in generel, right ?

Anyway, with you beeing a couple of days from absence, hence the timing issue, I guess it would be unwise to take on new help. I just thought the offer should be made anyway.

Regards,
Balaras

Paulius
04-10-2005, 03:52 PM
WILL, you?¢_~re enthusiasm is definitely a good thing, but not all people here like or want to go in the same direction as you. You want PGD to be too much of a general game making site, there are plenty of those, and even they struggle to stay alive. Doesn?¢_Tt everyone here go to gamedev.net to get their non pascal news fix? All those music, graphics creation forums will never be half active, artist definitely have different places to hang out and show off their work. Pascal programming is a niche, game developing in it is even more so, it?¢_Ts ok to let PGD be a small pascal game developers forum with news and other enhancements. If someone has pascal news to post, let them, but there?¢_Ts no need to dedicate lots of you?¢_Tre time to hunting for news and feel like it would fall apart without you if other people don?¢_Tt do the same. Maybe not much interesting is happening with pascal at the moment and there?¢_Ts no need to make dozens of news posts? I think you?¢_Td better serve the community by spending you?¢_Tre time with you?¢_Tre game project.

JSoftware
04-10-2005, 05:24 PM
i'll second paulius. i think this community is a really nice one! not too big, not too small. i wouldn't mind if there is missing news sometimes. i visit here at least twice a day. i even nearly stopped visiting gamedev. i only visit there to look for new articles

please, good lords, do not close this site!
do it for the sake of the only other great pascal game community :P (who, if you close pgd, would have to listen to my great german speaking skills) :wink:

LP
05-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I agree with Paulius and you probably remember my giant post that was somewhat against the "multi-discipline-forum" thingy.

What I would really suggest is to change the site/forum design colors completely. The current design is... how to call it... blind? colorless? I've start to notice this right after we've got new skin for Afterwarp.com (dark gray), which also appears a little bit lifeless :(

cairnswm
05-10-2005, 05:22 AM
My project is winding down. In the next week or so I should be getting back into my Game Dev stuff and will try to post tings again.

WILL
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Well thats it for me for the rest of this month. I'll see you all in mid-Nov when I get back! ;)