PDA

View Full Version : ATI GPUs will process physics

Sascha Willems
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
It's again slow on the news front, but I recently discovered this interesting news ('http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20051005202331.html') item over at X-bit labs :

If you're into realtime physics (may it for games or for applications) you may have heard of Ageia ('http://www.ageia.com'), the company that created the worlds first PPU (Physics Processing Unit) which is an add-in card that sports own memory and the afore-mentioned PPU. It was meant to accelerate physics by a large amount since it's a special purpose processing unit for only physics calculations. And though Ageia seemed to be rather successfull, with raising much funding and even lining-up strong partners like ASUS and BFG it was only a matter of time until one of the big graphics companies (or even chipmakers, but both even AMD and Intel are somewhat slow in terms of innovations) would ''intervent'' by doing it's own stuff on that field.

And so short after announcing it's new line-up, Raja Kodouri (a senior architect at ATI) spread word that ATI is researching on doing physics calculations on it's GPUs. So this would (in the long-run) make the PPU add-in card obsolte and give all users (as soon as the first GPUs with physics-capabilities are wide-spread) physics acceleration, without having to spend an additional 250$ for the PPU card. And one more good thing is that, depending on how it'll be implemented, it would make physics acceleration accessible for ALL physics engines (Newton, ODE, etc.) and not just one (Novodex, in case of Ageia's PPU).

So this shure was an interesting statement from ATI and one thing you can count on too is, that NVidia is also silently working on such additions to their GPU. So this means a bright future for hardware-accelerated physics.

savage
06-10-2005, 06:32 PM
It was just a matter of time really. I hope ATI make it so!

Robert Kosek
06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
That's pretty cool. That'd take a bit of a load off the CPU and make things even faster. Now if they can just increase the bus speeds...

tux
06-10-2005, 08:01 PM
i thought this was possible with the current graphics cards that support shaders

Paulius
06-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Sure it?¢_Ts possible tux, but it?¢_Ts like using DirectDraw to mix sound. Anyone know how those physics cards perform? it?¢_Ts natural to use a GPU, you pass it some data and it goes on to do its work, but with a physics card all objects need to be passed along back and forth.

HopeDagger
07-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I've been hearing about that PPU for a while, and was interested to learn where it would all go.

And now I know! Wow, this is really cool stuff. Hardware-accelerated physics is just downright funky. :D