PDA

View Full Version : Building engine

cronodragon
13-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Hello!!

I feel really glad to find this community! :D I have been programming games in different languages, my favourite Pascal, since the DOS era. Actually I have worked with Turbo Pascal and Delphi, and those are the best IDEs I have known. If someone is interested in checking a little of what I have done please visit my old home pages:

http://www.geocities.com/todo_simple.geo
http://www.geocities.com/marcalvaprojects

The last large project I made in Delphi was the RoleWorld Engine that is completely open-source. Then I started working with BlitzBasic and had a lot of fun with it for about 2 years. Now that Blitz is rather old (it works under DX 7) I'm building a new 3D engine. Right now it has enough to make most of the work Blitz does. I'm adding new features like multiplayer connection with a system I made in PHP, that is a game server which works on web-hosting sites (not dedicated servers).

My new engine won't be possible without Clootie. Thanks to the guy who created those units and keeps them updated for the latest DX.

Regards!
-Marco

Sly
13-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Clootie has been doing a fantastic job, and is now the only source of DirectX headers (that I know of) since JEDI Graphics disappeared. Clootie's work is always of a consistent high quality, and he's quick too. :)

cronodragon
13-10-2005, 04:11 AM
By the way, I will place my first questions her: what does d3dx9_27.dll do? Do I have to release a copy of this dll with my games, or I can get rid of it? And what is DXErr9ab.dll for... can I get rid of it too?

Sly
13-10-2005, 04:17 AM
I'm not up-to-date with the distribution requirements since they made D3DX into a DLL. I think Clootie understands all those issues.

savage
13-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Clootie has been doing a fantastic job, and is now the only source of DirectX headers (that I know of) since JEDI Graphics disappeared. Clootie's work is always of a consistent high quality, and he's quick too. :)

HEAR, HEAR!!!

Clootie
13-10-2005, 07:34 PM
:D
Thanks to all! 8)

---

Now about questions:
1) d3dx9_27.dll should be distributed with DirectX redist. It's included in it, but watch for the _right_ redistr release. This is at least according to MS supplied license. But in real life too many patches to commertial games released recently requires this or other version of d3dx9_xx.dll and this DLL is either included just in patch (without DX redistr), or even developers totally forget about it :? .

2) DXErr9ab.dll is custom made (by myself) DLL needed only if you use dxerr9.pas functions in you code (these are text description of DirectX return codes). And all functions in dxerr9 are dynamically loaded, so even if you forget to include above mentioned DLL - nothing bad should happen (if you handle "nil" pointers or never got an error).

cronodragon
13-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks to you! It's a great work! :D

Now I understand. Regards!

-Marco