PDA

View Full Version : Video footage of my 10Km finish...

savage
17-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I took part in a 10km race around Victoria Park yesterday ( Sunday 16th of Oct ). In total there were 32,000 runners spread across 3 parks, namely Hyde Park, Victoria Park and Battersea Park.

Here is the video of me crossing the finished line.
When watching the video, I'm the guy who you see sprinting across the line around the 9-10 second mark of the video. I just passed 4 people ( 3 men and one women who is directly behind me when I cross the line ) to cross the line in a time of 52 minutes and 28 seconds.

really long url (http://www.runlondon.com/tenkresults/Video.aspx?VideoUrl=mms%3a%2f%2fms.groovygecko.net %2fgroovyg%2fclients%2fakqa%2fvictoriapark%2fvicto ria001_hb.wmv&VideoStart=01%3a38%3a03)

Out of the 32,000 people that took part, I came 7198, which makes it the first quarter. My plan was to finish in under an hour, so I am very pleased with the result. There is still room for improvement so I will be working on that over the coming months.

Tomorrow I am sending off the entry form for the London Marathon, which will be held on April 23rd 2006, but plan to run in at least 1 half marathon in Jan/Feb in preparation for the London Marathon.

Just so you know what I have been doing with most of my spare time recently.

savage
17-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Btw, if you need inspiration have alook at the video below...

Julis Moss had just completed a 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and was leading the womens race in the closing stages of the Marathon ( 42.2Km ) when her body basically told her to stop. Obviously her mind had other ideas.

She was beaten withing only meters from the finish line. She had to finish the race crawling across the finish line.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/ironman/video/ironman25/juliemossABCtag.wvx

I remember watching this back in 1982 when it happened and vowed to one day complete an Ironman.

Traveler
17-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Good job! And good luck with your training.

Clootie
17-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Great!
Are you really ready finish marathon!?

savage
17-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm not ready right now, but I have 6 months to prepare, so assuming I don't get sick or injured it should be doable.

tux
17-10-2005, 08:45 PM
well done! unfortunatly my exercise is running from my computer to the kitchen to get something to eat ;)

JSoftware
18-10-2005, 08:09 AM
hehe nice job that was indeed a nice time! i did run a 6,4 km race 2 months ago. i made it to finish it in 36 minutes. that was kind of a silly bad time but i've never been able to run and at the finish of this run i was on the egde of dieing or coughing my lungs up :P

technomage
20-10-2005, 05:19 PM
well done dom :D

MikeS
20-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Awesome to see some other runners around here Savage. I run Cross Country(5K) at my school and absolutely love it. One of these days I'd love to do a big 5K or 10K, or even marathon like that.

Keep at it, and let us know your times.

Personal bests:
5K Cross Country: 20:01
5K Road Race: 19:35

Hoping to break 19 in a race this Saturday.

8)

savage
21-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Wow Mike, that's a very very respectable 5K time! I used to do cross country many years ago. I only started training for this 10K about 2 months ago and messed up my training a little as I did not do any 10k training run. The most I managed was 7K and that was 3 days before the race. I think I can get my 10K time down to 40mins if I put in some quality training.

Actually this is my first 10km in about 13 years. Last race I did before this one was a Man Vs Horse race in the english country side back in 1992 and that was over 10 miles ( 16km ). Scariest thing was hearing the horse bearing down on you.

Anyway keep up the running, seems you are quite close to representing your country.

MikeS
27-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Ended up running a 19:26, which isn't too bad for me. Might have to drop another 3 or 4 minutes before I start running for my country, but there's plenty of time to do that ;).

Yet another road race this week, but it's not a real competitive one(we're allowed to dress up for Halloween. :)) Guess we'll just wait and see though.

:D

MikeS
30-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Ran a 19:12 this weekend, and that was while wearing a crown.

:)

savage
31-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Wow very nice. why the crown?

savage
21-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Did a 5K today. I thought I could do it in 20 minutes but only managed a 23:05. My Next 5K is in July so I hope to improve on that time then, but I have a Half Marathon on the 11th of June in between.

btw, I never got a place in the London Marathon so could not compete. Hopefully next year, and at least I'll have a half marathon under my belt before then :).

MikeS
21-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Awesome Savage. I'm starting my training this month to run a few 5K's. I ran track for my school this year, and had a 11:54 2-mile, so I'm hoping that'll bring my 5K times down a bit.

WILL
22-05-2006, 03:01 AM
You know, I never got to see that footage. :)

In fact all these years that I've known you and we worked together on this site, we've never met in real like nor have I ever seen you. :) Isn't that just odd net-culture for ya?

You could be some old 100 year old dude living off a machine and have a shopping cart wheel for a foot. :lol: I'd be totally unaware if it. :P

cairnswm
26-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Hold thumbs for me Sunday morning (7am GMT+2) as I am running my first Half Marathon (21.1km).

cairnswm
29-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I completed my half marathon in 1:57:01 - almost 9 minutes better than my goal of 2:06 :)

savage
30-05-2006, 08:57 AM
As already mentioned "You are the MAN"! Well Done!

I have my half marathon on the 11th of June and am hoping for a 2 hour time. I tried to go for a long run yesterday and managed 15km ( 10Km in the morning and 5 km in the evening ). Got some serious chaffing for my troubles.

tanffn
30-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Might sound like a silly question, but how do you stay motivated?
I tried, several times, to start training but always from one reason or another I stopped. The longest I’ve been able to persist was about 1-2 weeks..
Actually I (tried) to start a routine only 3 weeks ago, thing is that routine lasted for less then a day (gave up while running the 2k :roll: )

JSoftware
30-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Might sound like a silly question, but how do you stay motivated?
I tried, several times, to start training but always from one reason or another I stopped. The longest I’ve been able to persist was about 1-2 weeks..
Actually I (tried) to start a routine only 3 weeks ago, thing is that routine lasted for less then a day (gave up while running the 2k :roll: )
I seem to have exactly the same problem! :)

savage
30-05-2006, 05:37 PM
The only way I stay motivated is to book myself into a race, so I therefore have a goal. I've noticed that if I don't have a race coming up, that my motivation drops off and I start missing traning sessions.

Even if it's a short race it then gives me a goal. My first goal is finishing, then my second goal is to try and beat a previous/anticipated time.

I also found that having some kind of training scheduled helps me. I have been using the ones from Nike ( http://www.nike.com/bowerman/ then click on "Train" ) where they have schedules for Beginner and Advanced for 5K, 10K and half marathon. Make sure you build up your distances. I've been to the try too much to soon school and have suffered for it with shin splits and hip pain. You don't want to go there.

The key is to get into some kind of daily/every second day routine and to run when you are least likely to get interrupted. I have found that I need to do my traning first thing in the morning, so I tend to wake up at 6:00am and go for a run then ( during the week ). If I miss the 6:00am run it is virtually impossible to find the time to get that run in. Everything else just takes precedence. So I do it first thing in the morning and get it out of the way before either family or work can interrupt it. The other reason for doing it first thing is that I think that is when the air is least polluted in London, from all the car fumes, which I hate.

Also I've found that if I don't get my endorphin kick, I get grumpy both from lack of the endorphin and also from that fact that I don't feel I've achived anything, which then means I'm tense around the house. What a vicious cycle :).

In the end no matter how you choose to do it, it takes disciple. Once you've got the disciple side sorted, everything else almost takes care of itself.

tanffn
30-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok a few more (silly :oops: ) follow-up questions:
1. How should I update the schedule if my only option is running up hill (back down hill).
2. I know the definition of run, but how should I "jog", even looked it up in wikipedia and that’s what it says:

Jogging is a poorly-defined term which generally refers to a type of slow running
3. week 6, steady/easy what do they mean by that.

JSoftware
30-05-2006, 08:19 PM
3. Run(or jog?) all the way for 20 minutes

cairnswm
31-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Many years ago (about 18 ) I was one of the top runners in my School. In the army (2 years conscription) I did a lot of running as well. Once I went to university and started work and got married I stopped running completely. In fact for about the last 5 years I have done practically no physical activity at all.

At the beginning of the year my wife and I joined Run/Walk for Life (http://www.runwalkforlife.co.za) which is basically a weight loss through exercide program. We go three times per week (Monday and Wednesday at 5pm and Saturday at 7am). My wife and I have committed to attending as many RWFL sessions as we can.

I run about 10km at each session.

By joining a group like Run/Walk for Life and commiting to be there as much as possible, I have been able to keep the motivation.

Ever since I was a small kid I have had a dream to run the Comrades Marathon (http://www.comrades.co.za) I now have the opportunity to do so. Its a lot of hard work and needs complete dedication to get to that level.

Finally. I have changed the priorities in my life. Usually I work really hard, put in many hours of overtime etc. This year I have placed work as a low priority, putting my family, hobbies and running ahead of work in my priority list.

savage
31-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok a few more (silly :oops: ) follow-up questions:
1. How should I update the schedule if my only option is running up hill (back down hill).
2. I know the definition of run, but how should I "jog", even looked it up in wikipedia and that’s what it says:

Jogging is a poorly-defined term which generally refers to a type of slow running
3. week 6, steady/easy what do they mean by that.

1. Hill runs are good but should be done infrequently, as you probably saw in the schedules. Are there no flat areas in you neighbourhood, maybe a running track ( though that can be boring for some )?

2. Jog is an easy run in my book, where you are able to hold a conversation without straining yourself while jogging. Run also varies in intensity but my criteria is not being able to speak more than a few words at a time to not being to speak at all when sprinting.

3. Steady means at an even pace. And easy should be very relaxed. As your fitness improves you might see that certain shedules talk about Farleks which basically involves sprinting followed by jogging repeatedly over a particular distance. For example I have a small lake near by that is about 500m all the way round. So sometimes I sprint 1 lap then jog the next lap to recover and repeat the sprint/job combination until I've covered about 6Kms. Though I probably won't do any of that in preparation for the half marathon as that is more for trying to improve your speed and right now I just want to be able to finish it.

cairnswm
01-06-2006, 05:43 AM
I've been told to always start a training run by running uphill - it slows you down for the rest of your run :)

Have a look at this link:
http://www.runnersworld.co.za/calculator/training.php

It allows you to put in a distance and a goal time. Based on these values it shows you the various different paces you should be running in training.

So my 21.1km done in 1:57:01 leads to the following values:
Your easy run training pace is: 6:25/km
Your tempo run training pace is: 5:21/km
Your maximum oxygen training pace is: 4:50/km
Your speed form training pace is: 4:28/km
Your long run training pace is: 6:25-7:14/km

It includes an explanantion of each category as well.

My training pace (I consider as my easy run) is usually about 5:50/km which gives me about a 1:45 21kmwhich I dont think I'll get to in the near future :)

tanffn
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the link! made things much clearer.

Dom there are a few semi-flat areas but they are very short.. I can ride my bicycle to the valley.. I'll figure something out :)

:idea: Maybe we can open an online-motivation-group, define a goal and if one of the members don’t report back the entire community sends that person all of their spam mail! (or any other evil act :twisted: )

savage
01-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Have a look at this ]http://www.runnersworld.co.za/calculator/training.php[/url]

That is indeed a great link.

cairnswm
09-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I broke the 5min a km barrier over 10kms this morning. I finished my 10km race in 49:31!!!! Yay!

savage
09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
YOU are the DUDE!!!!

tanffn
10-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Wow, well done!!! :toocool:

WILL
10-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Good job! ;)

Next step is the '5 minute mile'. :P

cairnswm
10-08-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm not actually training speed - I'm training for the Comrades Marathon next year - 18th June - Pietermaritzburg to Durdan (~87km)

So actually the 5 minute mile isn't going to happen :) The 4hour Marathon might.

WILL
10-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Ah...

So basically William Cairns the Timex vice William Cairns the human bullet train, huh? ;)[/pascal]

cairnswm
18-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Last weekend (13th/14th) I went down into the Southern Free State to do the Sterling Light Lager 35km Adventure race.

I enjoyed it so much that I've written a whole report on the event. You can find the PDF version of the report (approx 700kb) here:

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/files/TheGreatAdventure.pdf

MikeS
15-10-2006, 03:53 PM
That's great news Cairnswm keep at it. My Cross Country(5K) season just ended over here, so I'm taking some time off running, and getting back to coding for a bit.

cairnswm
16-10-2006, 05:48 AM
I havn't updated here for a while :)

I started running on January 9th. So far I have done
3 10km races: 53:26; 66:01; and 49:31 (The middle one was with friends)
2 21.1km races: 1:57; 1:43
2 16km races: ?; 1:22
and 4 adventure races. (Time here is meaningless) - the longest was 60kms and took 5:35.

I was going to do a 21 on the coming weekend but its been cancelled. I'll probably do a 27 or 30km training run instead. (This weekend I did 25km in 2:16).

I'm running about 60kms per week at the moment. And need to incrase that by about 20kms each month until January. Where I'll get the time to run 120kms a week I dont know but thats the goal at the moment.

My first 32km run (current goal) will be on November 26. I'm hoping to do it in 2:40 but under 2:50 I'll be happy.
My first 42.2km Marathon will be late January early February.

cairnswm
27-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Yesterday I ran my first 32km race :) - finished in a better time than expected but not as fast as I would have liked :)

3 10km races: 53:26; 66:01; and 49:31 (The middle one was with friends)
3 21.1km races: 1:57; 1:43 ; 1:46
2 16km races: ?; 1:22
1 32km race: 2:49:28

savage
27-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Well done William! Excellent stuff.

XTRiZ
27-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Im getting tired only to read about it! :lol:
U guys are nuts.

Anyway, it's great stuff. Keep on running...

rgds,
Peter

cairnswm
18-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Hopefully I'll be back into the world of game development again. This weekend's race has been a long term effort to get through. From the planning and preperation, to meeting the team and getting the gear I've probably spent last 6 weeks free time getting ready. Game dev has just had to take a back seat.

I completed a 150km adventure race in 31hours and 9 minutes! We hiked, cycled, paddled and body boarded our way through the mountains near Loskop dam (Near Middleburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa). In 3 days I had 5 hours sleep.

I completed in a really awesome team, even when we were all really tired everyone was smiling and joking. Even when getting lost added 2 hours to our race time, we smiled and did the extra, joking and laughing all the way. The last 12 hours were really tough and became more a mental challenge than physical.

What an experience :)

WILL
18-12-2006, 04:16 PM
:) Well let it be said... they build you south african boys tough. ;)

Nice job man. :thumbup:

savage
20-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Great stuff again William!!!!! I'm getting jealous :).

Vincent
20-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Reading this thread makes me looking for my running shoes, so I can start running again. :-)

I used to run in the evenings (twice or three times a week), but since I got involved in Lazarus/fpc, the computer is much more tempting and sitting on a chair is more comfortable than running outside.

tanffn
20-12-2006, 11:18 AM
As I found out having running shoes and running have nothing to do with each other.. my current excuse is the cold.. I have nothing to do about that :)

cairnswm
21-12-2006, 09:00 AM
My race report is online: http://www.ar.co.za/reports/uge1501.html

savage
22-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Great team name, but shows you are a fan of Red Dwarf :).

And a great post-mortem as well.

cairnswm
29-01-2007, 06:25 AM
On saturday evening I ran my first ever marathon. I ran the Ottosdal nite marathon (www.ottosdaldrafentrap.co.za) the only full marathon ran at night in South Africa. :)

I ran the first half marathon in exactly 2 hours, I reached the 32km mark in exactly 3 hours and then a cramp in my right calf really slowed me down. The last 10kms took me 1 hour 21 minutes.

My time was 4:21:01 - that puts me in the F group for the comrades start - and I wanted the C group. :( I'll be running a 50km ultra marathon on March 17 and maybe two more marathons on Apr 7/8 and Apr 14/15. I'm going to do my best to get under the 4:20 mark.

In two weeks time I'll be doing my next adventure race, and again at the end of April.

savage
29-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Great stuff William! Congratulations on finishing. I know you are not happy with your time, but it's a start and I'm sure you will improve on it in the next few races. I'm envious of your dedication :).

cairnswm
12-02-2007, 09:17 AM
This weekend I did my second long adventure race. Advertised as a 150km race, but planned as 127kms through very mountainouts terrain.

In 31hours and 25 minutes, we ran 6 kms, paddles 12 kms, rode bike for about 70km, pushed bikes for about 20kms, walked through 3 different caves and hiked close on 25kms.

It was really really tough, I came very close to giving up but just carried on and on. Pushing bikes up endless hills is very tiring and frustrating.

About half way through the race I nearly quit. I'm glad I didn't and finished the race. We were the last team to finish officially. We ended 10th out of 18 teams that started the race.

savage
12-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Well done for not quitting, as long as your have not put your health at risk.

cairnswm
19-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Race report from the latest race: http://www.ar.co.za/reports/redants_4.html

cairnswm
05-03-2007, 06:54 AM
I did my second marathon yesterday - finished in a time of 3:58:51 just beating 4 hours and improving my comrades marathon seeding by two groups :)

savage
05-03-2007, 07:01 AM
I knew you'd break that 4 hour barrier. Well Done!

cairnswm
09-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Last saturday (31st March) I ran my first Ultra Marathon (The Long Tom marathon - said to be "the Toughest Ultra in Africa") - see www.longtom.info for more info.

I finished it in 7 hours 8 minutes and a few seconds. It was really hard - especially the last 21 kms which is downhill - the first 35 uphill kms were ok.

I've had a ligament replacement in my left knee after a bad rugby tackle, and going downhill sometimes hurts like %#%#@!

savage
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Impressive and inspirational as always!

cairnswm
05-05-2007, 05:17 AM
My team "Lickety Split" suffered an accident in the kloofing section on the Swzi X Sport event this last weekend (a nice 5 day long weekend in South Africa). Between falls 8 and 9 there was a small rock ledge that had to be climbed down, I slipped down and hurt my ankle. Thanks to some quick work by the teams right behind us my ankle was quickly strapped up in a brace.

It took Lickety Split 9 hours to walk the 8kms to the next Transition. While we had tried to send a message out with various teams it seems these messages got a bit garbled and fortunatly we didn't sit and wait for help but walked out instead. Once out we tried to get hold of the race Medics. After driving around and phoning for a few hours we gave up trying to find the medics and headed for Waterford College to sleep and returned to South Africa on monday allowing me to see my own doctor.

Xrays showed a broken ankle, On wednesday it was operated to put the bones back in place, and I'll be stuck in bed for a few weeks.

So I lose out on Comrades this year. I am not sure when I can start training again. But it does mean more time for making games :)

savage
05-05-2007, 10:38 AM
William I'm really sorry to hear about the accident. I know how much the Comrades meant to you. I wish you a speedy recovery and maybe I will be fit enough next year to try and join you in the Comrades.

WILL
05-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey man, that sucks. :? I think we all know that you worked really (, REALLY) hard for this race. Sorry to hear that it ended up in your getting hurt.

But at least you seem to be taking it well. I'm glad to hear that. :) There is always next year too right? ;)

cairnswm
06-05-2007, 04:47 AM
There is always next year :)

I am mostly a pretty optimistic type of person so I dont take these things badly. I knew that doing an adventure race could result in an injury, just a pity it happened on this one.

cairnswm
28-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Well its been almost 9 months since I broke my Ankle on an Adventure Race. And over this weekend I have just finished another Adventure race.

We started with a 21km paddling leg, followed by 25km Hiking into the Drakensberg mountains, a 42km cycle, a 12 KM hike around a mountain peak that included some rock climbing and abseiling (rappeling), 25km cycle, 4km orienteering, 20km cycle and a last 5km hike that included some rock climbing and abseiling (rappeling). (Total distance about 154kms)

My team (Lickety Split) started as a three man team, unfortunatly one of our team members had to drop out with very sore ITB in both knees after about 100kms, the other two of us finished the race in 37 hours and 50 minutes - about 9 hours behind the first team to finish the race.

As some of you know I have started my own business doing multimedia development for local companies. Part of the company's business is video production. For the whole race I carried a head mounted video camera. I've looked at some of the footage, and I think I have enough to do a 10minute video of the race.

Here is an example of a video I put together for my Adventure Racing Clubs canoe race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqK7wbP-d8

Wizard
28-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Well done!! The vid looks nice 8)

savage
28-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Well its been almost 9 months since I broke my Ankle on an Adventure Race. And over this weekend I have just finished another Adventure race.

We started with a 21km paddling leg, followed by 25km Hiking into the Drakensberg mountains, a 42km cycle, a 12 KM hike around a mountain peak that included some rock climbing and abseiling (rappeling), 25km cycle, 4km orienteering, 20km cycle and a last 5km hike that included some rock climbing and abseiling (rappeling). (Total distance about 154kms)

My team (Lickety Split) started as a three man team, unfortunatly one of our team members had to drop out with very sore ITB in both knees after about 100kms, the other two of us finished the race in 37 hours and 50 minutes - about 9 hours behind the first team to finish the race.

As some of you know I have started my own business doing multimedia development for local companies. Part of the company's business is video production. For the whole race I carried a head mounted video camera. I've looked at some of the footage, and I think I have enough to do a 10minute video of the race.

Here is an example of a video I put together for my Adventure Racing Clubs canoe race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqK7wbP-d8

CONGRATULATIONS William! I love the team name. You guys sound like Red Dwarf fans. I like the canoe vid as well. I might have used slightly different music, but I like the way it's edited.