PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

rgrove
02-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I've never done any game programming, but I'm interested in getting into it. Just done Delphi business programming is all (since Delphi 5 whatever year that was). Very different worlds of course. :P Naturally, I'd like to keep using my beloved Pascal as I look at this new adventure! I look forward to learning from you all. 34 years old and live in Beaverton, OR with my wife and son Noah.

One of the driving reasons for my wanting to get involved in this area is to prepare for when we begin my son's education. I hated math and rebelled against my teachers etc in school and have paid for it ever since. One of the excuses I gave was that it wasn't necessary. They just told me to do it because I had to yadayadayada... I want my son to see his father actively employing these skills, even if in a pretty amatuer way, so there's no way he could say nobody uses math. His dad does! Hopefully that'll assist in making things like math and science "real" for him so to speak. Perhaps writing small games for him to play even. :D Anyhow, I'll be lurking here for some time to come and trying to learn as much as I can and get to know the community.

Thank you,
Ron

JSoftware
02-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Hello and welcome to the best pascalgamedevelopment site on the web! :D

Sure it's true that people tend to disagree wit that they need what they learn while they are in school. my school mates here ask all the time what we need a specific part of math for, only i see that clear :wink: . i first found out what i really needed it for when i started program myself at an age of 14. My father taught me how to make a calculator in delphi 4 and i've been hooked ever since! you could eventually teach him how to program himself? :roll:

Regards,
Jeppe

Traveler
02-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Welcome to PGD!

technomage
02-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Welcome Ron

I hope we can all help :D

I too dismissed my maths at school, I only started to realise it's uses when I started University. If only I'd paid attention :wink: