PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's questions

rgrove
03-12-2005, 01:11 AM
I've been downloading some of the free 3D tools I've seen on the site to begin the learining process (Blender3D, DeleD Lite, Wings 3D so far). My wife has her degree in art, but hasn't done any computer type stuff before. Does she have to understand much in programming to do graphics for me? Or will she be able to design what I need without having to understand the programming side? She has no desire to learn programming. I'm willing to learn graphics stuff, but I have no imagination whatsoever. :) I'm therefore utterly incapable of producing anything on my own. I'm really hoping this might work out. Also, are there other ones that I should download and look at? We just had our first child this a few months ago and I can't afford the expensive packages right now... Maybe one of these days, but not right now, so it has to be free or pretty low cost at this point (I looked at Lightwave and the price scared me off immediately at this point).

Thank you,
Ron

K4Z
03-12-2005, 04:04 AM
It's not entirely required to know anything about programming to create 3d models for games. But I'd recommend for your wife to understand the basics of how your game will work (Mostly how it renders the models, etc).

There is a difference with creating game specific models, mostly from file format, polygon count, Triangles vs Quads, Textures, etc.

I'm an avid Lightwave user myself, and I highly recommend it, but the price can deter many people.

I have used Wings 3D and it's a nice package; a good tool when first starting out with 3d modeling. Blender is very powerfull but has a steep learning curve.

I'd recommend checking out MilkShape 3d, and Gmax. Both are designed specifically for game modeling, they are easy to use as well as powerfull, and are widely used in commercial games.

There are many more free 3d packages avaliable, and I'm sure you will find one that you like.

rgrove
03-12-2005, 05:39 AM
There is a difference with creating game specific models, mostly from file format, polygon count, Triangles vs Quads, Textures, etc.
Could you please expound on this just a little bit? Is there a comparison sheet around someplace that might point out these sorts of differences and why they're imortant?

I'm an avid Lightwave user myself, and I highly recommend it, but the price can deter many people.
Deterred for the time being at least. If things work out, then I'd prefer she have the best tool we can afford.

I'd recommend checking out MilkShape 3d, and Gmax. Both are designed specifically for game modeling, they are easy to use as well as powerfull, and are widely used in commercial games.

There are many more free 3d packages avaliable, and I'm sure you will find one that you like.
Thank you for the recommendations. Downloading them now as well.

Thank you,
Ron