PDA

View Full Version : Rage 3D

WILL
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag now, so I can finally talk about it. :) I admit, I knew about the Rage 3D engine produced under Emperion Empire for a long time now, however I was sworn to secrecy so I couldn't tell a soul. :shhh:

But since the company went C++ only and one of it's main partners, Maarten Kronberger (aka McClaw) resigned and took the project with him to release as an open source project I can see no reason to hold my toung anymore. ;) Mind you I was given some permission in my recent article to post screenshots for it.

The Rage 3D game engine is really an entire suite of 5 seperate engines built into one standard set of dll's and focuses on providing an easy development platform. Much of it remains incompleted, but as luck would have it, it is now open source and available to you the avid game developer for improvement, completion and/or updates and later bugfixes.

Rage 3D Engines:
<ul> RageGL - Graphics Engine, and scene manager, based on OpenGL supporting the latest OpenGL 2.0 specifications RagePhysics - Physics Engine expanding on newton dynamics dll RageAI - As yet undefined Artificial intelligence engine. RageAL - Sound engine, and audio library (Still under heavy design and development) RageNT - Network engine[/list]

<center>Screenshots:
<table><tr><td width=200 align=center>files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d1.jpg ('files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d1.jpg')</td><td width=200 align=center>files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d2.jpg ('files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d2.jpg')</td></tr><tr><td width=200 align=center>files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d3.jpg ('files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d3.jpg')</td><td width=200 align=center>files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d4.jpg ('files/news/2005_12_04_rage3d4.jpg')</td></tr></table></center>

For more information or to help contribute to the Rage 3D game engine visit the Rage 3D Game Engine Page ('http://www.sulaco.co.za/rage_game_engine/') on Sulaco!

technomage
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
This looks like a nice engine, I can't wait to get my hands on teh source code :D

WILL
06-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Indeed, I've heard it's pretty fast too.

tux
06-12-2005, 06:12 PM
still has a lot of work needed to it *quickly cleans up my source code before maarten releases it*

McCLaw
06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Just applied for the source forge project, now we just wait for the approval, and then the code wil "flow" ;)

JernejL
08-12-2005, 02:39 PM
So that meany you are now unemployed but yet still giving out source code for free? cool :)

McCLaw
08-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I also have another job that pays for food and that kinda stuff (as a web developer), so I'm not without meens :)

I never really made any money out of the game engine in any case, since the engine isnt finished.

It was profit share. ;) no profit meens no share. LOL

WILL
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Well you're not going to make any money off it now. :P

Unless you decide to make a game with the completed opensource verson of the engine.

I personally would like to see Pascal make it to the commercial market more than it has. At this point there really is no excuse. FPC and/or Delphi are fully capable of doing the job.

CodeWrestler
08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi I am new on this forum, spoke to McClaw a day ago and I am looking forward to the Rage engine as well.

Go Delphi! Go bokke! Castel Lager - Laat hy val waar hy wil!

czar
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Does the Afrikaans that mean "Let him fall where he wants"?

CodeWrestler
08-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Yep that is correct! :) It's a saying we have when we open a beer. You being a Kiwi I assume you know the Castel Lager brand :) But I have been living in the USA for the last 6 years so I haven't had a Castle in a longgggggg time!

czar
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry never heard of Castel Lager - and I am Dutch which makes it fairly easy to read Afrikaans.

Also I prefer Belgian dark beer to Lagers any day ;)

Cheers

CodeWrestler
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Aaahhh that makes sense :) My last name is Venter - I guess you knwo what that means in Dutch too :wink:

Anyway good to meet ya!

Cya around - of in de kuiken, Ik moet huizen waarts keuren. :)

McCLaw
09-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi I am new on this forum, spoke to McClaw a day ago and I am looking forward to the Rage engine as well.

Go Delphi! Go bokke! Castel Lager - Laat hy val waar hy wil!

Hey Bro Welcome to PGD :)

I'm still waiting for sorceforge to approve my project, so not sure when the code will be online, but I'm hoping for the best. :)

technomage
05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I finally managed to have a look at the source for Rage 3D. I have discovered that it supports Delphi 6 and up and Kylix (which is a pain for me as I only have Delphi 5 and Free Pascal).

That said it looks good, the screen shots and demos work well on my machine (which isn't fantstic). Keep up the good work. :D

tux
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
what parts dont compile on delphi 5?

technomage
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
The DWS scripting system mainly, there are also quite a few references to Variants, Types and other units/functions which are only available in delphi 6 and up. (isnan being a prime example, I've yet to see a Delphi 5 version of this)

I did try replacing these units a functions with Delphi 5 equivelents but the getting started tutorial demo just crashed out on startup.

I don't know if Delphi 5 support is a priority for this engine :?: If so I could help out to make it compatable, same goes for Free Pascal.

tux
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
variants is only used in the scripting, and that has been "unplugged" from rage for the moment.

cant help with isnan though as i cant find my delphi 5 cd :(

also what dll did you try? Rage3D.dpr or RagePhysics.dpr?

technomage
05-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I tried Rage3D.dpr, after I made all the changes and ran one of the demos it just crashed.

Like I said , if supporting Delphi 5 and free pascal in on the cards then I will be willing to put some time into making the modifications.

McCLaw
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
I finally managed to have a look at the source for Rage 3D. I have discovered that it supports Delphi 6 and up and Kylix (which is a pain for me as I only have Delphi 5 and Free Pascal).

That said it looks good, the screen shots and demos work well on my machine (which isn't fantstic). Keep up the good work. :D

Hey dude :)

Yea, D5 compilation is hard cause I dont have a copy of it any more.

I'm glad that the demos run on your PC though. :lol: :lol:

What is the spec of your PC btw?

tux
06-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm glad that the demos run on your PC though.

dude, they dont run on his pc, they crash. i think its because his card doesnt do pixel shaders (if hes using the pc's listed on the competition pages)

technomage
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
The binary that was in cvs worked on my machine once I updated the drivers (nVidia Emulate Shaders using Stinger) so it worked at a reasonable rate even with the shaders. :D

The binary that I built after making the changes to allow it to compile under Delphi 5 crashes.

McClaw - I can make the changes to make it Delphi 5 compatable, if you don't mind me mailing you the changes (I make use of IFDEF inthe changes)

How about Free Pascal?

McCLaw
07-02-2006, 06:26 AM
The binary that was in cvs worked on my machine once I updated the drivers (nVidia Emulate Shaders using Stinger) so it worked at a reasonable rate even with the shaders. :D

The binary that I built after making the changes to allow it to compile under Delphi 5 crashes.

McClaw - I can make the changes to make it Delphi 5 compatable, if you don't mind me mailing you the changes (I make use of IFDEF inthe changes)

How about Free Pascal?

Sure dude :D

Make whatever changes you want. and mail it to me.

Perhaps we can even give you developer access to the cvs once the PGD compo is complete?

Eduarto mailed me last night about helping out on the free pascal side of things.

According to him the tutorials can be compiled and run under FP with minimal changes to the header. I have asked him to send me the code.

technomage
07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
OK, if I want to the FPC changes to be merged in then work on the delphi 5 support. Developer access would be nice, I have a sourceforge account so once the compo is out of the way I should be able to contribute a little. :D

McCLaw
08-02-2006, 06:13 AM
OK, if I want to the FPC changes to be merged in then work on the delphi 5 support. Developer access would be nice, I have a sourceforge account so once the compo is out of the way I should be able to contribute a little. :D

That would be great :) The more the merrier! :D