PDA

View Full Version : 3rd PGD Challenge Questions

WILL
16-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Hello to everyone that has taken up the challenge!

Be proud to be among the elite, they few who rouse up to charge forth and take destiny in your hands by creating your masterpiece, your legacy. However, don't be too proud to ask those daunting questions that would fester and push your project down into ruin. Post and be heard, for your questions have merit and I have an ear, so we shall converse and with hope, be enlightened.

I'll shut-up so you can ask now. :p

WILL
16-08-2013, 06:16 AM
ok first questions asked....

I got a few questions?

Yes, I conclude that you do indeed have questions! Next question! :) (sorry been up since 6am and it's now midnight and I'm a little loopy on caffeine)

Does the "protagonist" have to be visible in game? Idea of a game where you are controlling your whole kingdom from kings point of wiew. You are just isuing orders which are caried out by your units. These units aren't even rendered in the game as the king isn't able to see them when they are on the other side of the kingdom.

There must be at least "A" protagonist meaning there must be at least one conceptualized within the game. This could be the king himself... animate him standing up to make a "decree" which is your selected orders... just a thought. If selecting from a list of "dialog" and/or text options or some kind of button interface that would be somewhat indirect I believe.

Can I make a game where I as a captian controll the ship by simply isueing orders like (turn left, turn right, set heading to, hoist all sails, fire port cannons, etc.)?

Well to be clear, if you are simple making a virtual controller UI that directly controls the game, this does not fall within the spirit of the challenge and shouldn't be considered a valid means of INdirectly controlling your protagonist(s), however if you were issuing commands like a captain and then the crew were listening and then independently reacting (perhaps even with some kind of balanced delay to make sure it's known and to add a challenge to playing the game?) then that would indeed exactly fall in-line within the context of challenge theme.

How much autonomy could my "protagonists" have? Can I make a game where my characters are compleetly autonomus (I don't even need to isue any commands)?

You can use any level of autonomy you deem fit. In this challenge theme you cannot use too much autonomously "controlled" characters Protagonist or any other kind in your game. Specification of AUTOMATION is merely a suggestion to highlight one of the ways you would likely be able to achieve the goal of a functioning protagonist in lieu of it being controlled directly by the player of the game. In this theme it might also just be a great way to add more factors to this kind of enforced game mechanics.

If anyone else has any questions of the sort, I'm an open book.

WARNING: Humour may ensue over the next few hours. I've been up for a bit and working on my current project it half driving me mad. Oh and caffeine helps too. ;)

Cybermonkey
16-08-2013, 06:48 AM
So a RTS counts as an indirectly controlled game? I've never realised it as such because I can choose my units and point where they have to go (IMHO a direct control). But anyway, if a RTS counts what about a point and click adventure in the spirit of Monkey Island? It's quite the same control of the protagonist, so this should count, too?

SilverWarior
16-08-2013, 07:24 AM
There must be at least "A" protagonist meaning there must be at least one conceptualized within the game. This could be the king himself... animate him standing up to make a "decree" which is your selected orders... just a thought. If selecting from a list of "dialog" and/or text options or some kind of button interface that would be somewhat indirect I believe.

... however if you were issuing commands like a captain and then the crew were listening and then independently reacting (perhaps even with some kind of balanced delay to make sure it's known and to add a challenge to playing the game?) then that would indeed exactly fall in-line within the context of challenge theme.

My idea was that my units (messangers, soldiers, hunters, farmers, pesants, etc) would actually be protagonists and not the king itself. But I would limit the game screen to the kings view itself.

So the game mechanic would be somthing like this:
A messenger brings the message about some event that happened somewhere in your kingdom.
You as a king are offered different choices of what command would you isue.
After you iseue an order a message explaining the order needs to be caried to the unit that you are giving the order to.
Becouse sometimes messangers needs to travel long distances it takes time for your order to actually reach your units. It can even be intercepted by bandits, enemies, etc.
After the message is delivered an cofirmation message is being sent back.

All the units ingame are being simulated but not being rendered. I try to minimize the graphic assets needed for this game. Maybe I can even pull it of as a text game.

So would this fit into the rules?

WILL
16-08-2013, 09:38 AM
So a RTS counts as an indirectly controlled game? I've never realised it as such because I can choose my units and point where they have to go (IMHO a direct control). But anyway, if a RTS counts what about a point and click adventure in the spirit of Monkey Island? It's quite the same control of the protagonist, so this should count, too?

I would say that it's a little too close to direct control. Even the traditional RTS would feel a little bit like cheating. It would be too easy to "cop out" and just use only that form of control, where the spirit of the theme is to try to do something a little more than just a virtual form of abstracting the standard direct control mechanism found in most games. Surely there are more interesting ways of indirectly controlling a single character protagonist? :)

Maybe making sound causing him to want to investigate? Or scaring him/it away from somewhere by making a bang or something? Would be more interesting than simple saying "walk here" or "perform action here" which is far less creative I think.

My idea... ...So would this fit into the rules?

Yeah, that seems pretty legit. Is there perhaps another form of feedback you can get from your distant followers that show what kind of progress they do or do not do? I mean if the poor messenger gets shot how can you tell? :) Perhaps a view of buildings begin built or farms that grow or enemies on the horizon that can be see out a window from the castle or something? You may be able to come up with a low content way of doing that somehow.

SilverWarior
16-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Is there perhaps another form of feedback you can get from your distant followers that show what kind of progress they do or do not do? I mean if the poor messenger gets shot how can you tell? :)

That is the point. You have to maintain good enough security inside your kingdom so messengers can travel quite safetly.
And if you see that there was no messenger from one of your places for quite some time you have to send someone to investigate why is that.
But messangers are not the only units who needs security inside your kingdom.
For instance for your castle to get the food to feed your staff that food needs to be transported from neigboring farms, vilages, towns. Same goes to other wares.
Also pepole inside your kingdom won't be hapy if bandids would roam the streets robbing traveling merchants, pilaging vilages, etc.

BTW Your messangers won't be the only units which could bring you the status update. You could also learn of various events around your kingdom from from traveling merchants. But this information is not guaranteed to be thruth as they would only be rumors.
I also have a nice idea for rumor system where stories can get exagerated but I probably won't be able to implement it as it would take quite a lot of coding.

Like I sad the game will show off all the dificulties that kingdom/empires faced when there still was no radio cominucation available.
So don't expect playing it will be "walk in the park". :D

WILL
16-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I guess it's a concept that will have to be tested to see how it actually will feel while playing. You've got me interested already!

Be sure to play test lots and be wiling to tweak and fiddle plenty when trying new "out of the box" game ideas. Not every new idea really goes smooth in it's first outing of course. It's also a good idea to be willing to rethink stuff if you just aren't getting your player experience to where you are hoping it would. Also when you are in new territory, sometimes even the most subtle of tweaks or added features can vastly change your whole game without noticing until after play testing it enough times.

SilverWarior
16-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Not every new idea really goes smooth in it's first outing of course.

That is why you make prototypes to test such ideas. ;)

Don't worry Will I'm well aware the risks of getting into new territory. And yes I already have some "fallback" aproaches that I might use if my concept would seem as to dull.

To be honest I had this idea in my mind for quite some time now.

Sascha Willems
17-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I hope that my game idea (that I'm starting to love) qualifies for the rules :

The basic outline is that you guide a human through the different stages of life (starting with birth, over to youth, adult, elderly, death and maybe even beyond, kinda as "levels") by answering different questions, with each answer moving the character through a differnt "portal" (or corridor), making from some really though decisions that can affect the guided character, even resulting in death (and maybe suicide). Each answer will affect certain attributes of the character, and the "goal" is to make it through the end ;)

Would that be okay for the contest?

User137
17-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Another quick question, could the PGD challenge-related posts be shown on the frontpage's "latest forum topics" list?

AthenaOfDelphi
17-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Another quick question, could the PGD challenge-related posts be shown on the frontpage's "latest forum topics" list?

I think this is a great idea... I've added a recent posts box to the front page above the news. This will just show the latest posts about the challenge.

WILL
18-08-2013, 03:34 AM
I hope that my game idea (that I'm starting to love) qualifies for the rules... ...Would that be okay for the contest?

Yeah that seems pretty legit to me. It would be interesting to see if you go contemporary or if you put a twist in there like some kind of other time period or a fantasy theme to it.

paul_nicholls
20-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Would a game where you have to push/shove/blow a character around using some force count as indirect control compared to direct direction movement, etc?

cheers,
Paul

SilverWarior
20-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Would a game where you have to push/shove/blow a character around using some force count as indirect control compared to direct direction movement, etc?

On my opinion if theese forces are not fixed to the character itself but fixed to the world it would be.
For instance: Fixed fann to blow your character away, water currents, etc.

WILL
23-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Essentially yes, however as long as you are not just creating another protagonist character just to manipulate your intended protagonist. I made sure to specify that in the rules to prevent such thoughts. ;)

However, blowing (from wind?) or pushing using say gravity and/or slopes and the environement it's self or perhaps some kinda device(s) (ala The Incredible Machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(series)) style of play could work)

...but of course you do need to have at least 1 protagonist character of some kind.

User137
31-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Speaking of The Incredible Machine (TIM), they are renewing that game by name Contraption Maker in Steam as early alpha version.

And as far as my self-programmed scheduling application tells, PGD jam has 13 days 5 hours left ;)

WILL
02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
And as far as my self-programmed scheduling application tells, PGD jam has 13 days 5 hours left ;)

Nice! :D

I can see that game becoming popular on touch screens for sure!

Well this is a quiet jam for sure... I'm guessing that everyone is heads down coding huh? :)

paul_nicholls
02-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Well this is a quiet jam for sure... I'm guessing that everyone is heads down coding huh? :)

I hadn't even tried doing an entry at this point, maybe I will try on my 7 days off in 3 days time LOL

SilverWarior
02-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm having hard time finding free time to work on my entry due to work and other real life related obligations.
So I fear that story will reapeat and againg I will wind up with no entry due to running out of time. >:(

WILL
06-09-2013, 10:59 AM
FTP server is now up early for those that want to submit early or check your FTP software settings.

The FTP account information can be found in the original Rules thread: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php?377-3rd-PGD-Challenge-At-Your-Command!

WILL
12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Just 4 days left folks! Hows it coming along?

Seen some nice screenies being posted in your threads. How about a single desktop screenshot from everyone each so we can all see how your working environment is setup?

So much variety in tools and libraries these days it would be cool to put them all up beside each other.

User137
12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Sure :)

And what is the exact deadline by timezones? Is it the turning point of 15th and 16th day for each individuals own time?

WILL
15-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Well right here, right now it's the 15th, but... Lets just say, if the FTP server is up you can submit until I take it down. (I've been know to be a bit slow getting the submission FTP down, if you know what I mean. ;) ;))

I like to keep the deadlines loose. Especially in an event like this were we are just all just having fun and there are no prizes.

People work hard on their entries so I want everyone to get a chance to submit and not get snuffed because of little timing hiccups.

That said, this is the last day folks! Time for the final push for some and for others it may be time to wrap it up and upload it. Either way if you are on the fence, it might be a good idea to get something up for now and submit a new version should you find you are able to add that one last awesome feature or nailed that really fussy bug that you want out of there.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Either way if you do upload a version early, name it with a version number so that we will know which "is newest and best" from that which is older and not so nice. This'll help prevent any confusion when I got to publish them on the PGD Challenge showcase website. ;)

WILL
15-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Sure :)

Hey only User137? No one else?

Show some Pascal programming pride people! :P

WILL
17-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Well a new day is upon us and another PGD Challenge is at a close. Great work to those that managed to complete their games and get the in on time!

It seems that a lot of people have fallen a tad short due to a few small mishaps or unseen obligations. Perhaps even some bad organizational habits or simply a bit of procrastination? Well this happens to everyone.

I would ask everyone a questions however; Should I leave open the FTP server for any late arrivals. How many of you could get your game entry done and uploaded in a mere couple of weeks time?

Doing this would allow me to accept you in the event, but mark you as a "Late Arrival" instead of not being included at all. Something I'm considering...

paul_nicholls
17-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Some more time would be good :)

SilverWarior
17-09-2013, 02:07 PM
I won't have any free time till the end of the month due to some work training I'll have in next weaks so even a short extension won't do any good for me.
But if it could help others then I say go for it.

pstudio
17-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Doing this would allow me to accept you in the event, but mark you as a "Late Arrival" instead of not being included at all. Something I'm considering...

I don't really see the point in marking them as being late. It's not like there's any competition this time. We're just a bunch of guys that made a few games for fun.

I guess it's fine to keep the FTP open for extra time as usual ;) But I want guarentees that we'll see more entries then :P
We only have 3 entries and that's not really impressive :( Especially not when one of the entries is mine which hardly counts as a game :D

User137
18-09-2013, 06:12 AM
About the videos, remember that you can download the direct files from Youtube too. If normal website doesn't show interface to it, plugins will.

Sascha Willems
08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Pretty silent in here oO Any news on results, videos or when the finalization of the event will be announced?

pstudio
16-11-2013, 10:19 PM
So, are there gonna be any kind of closure on this? A presentation of the entries or anything?

Would be nice if the entries were presented with a little comment and screenshot or something like that.