PDA

View Full Version : Outer Reaches: The Second Beginning - Season 2

WILL
13-12-2005, 08:03 AM
<table width=100%><tr><td valign=middle align=center width=308>files/news/2005_12_13_outerreaches2.jpg</td><td valign=top class=newsContent>Our very own Christina Louise(aka AthenaOfDelphi) and her partner in crime Spirit, has just completed creating the second season of Outer Reaches: The Second Beginning Season 2.

They are now accepting registration for new players of this season.

The servers that host the web-based game it's self were created and designed with Delphi.</td></tr></table>

To check out Outer Reaches: The Second Beginning Season 2 go to www.outer-reaches.com ('http://www.outer-reaches.com/').

savage
13-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Athena, if you are out there, who did the 3D modelling? I quite like the look of the models and their textures.

AthenaOfDelphi
13-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Luckily, I have a very talented brother who donated his services free of charge. He produced all the 3D artwork used in the game, with the exception of the planets which were produced by one of our admins.

I'm just waiting on getting some web space enabled to host an AVI my brother put together which gives the story leading up to the game (If someone has lots of bandwidth and could host a mirror of a 29MB AVI drop a mail to 'athena at outer hyphen reaches dot com' and I'll make it available somewhere).

The textures were part of a texture collection he was working on, but he never quite got around to marketting. If peeps are interested in such things, let me know and I'll give him a good kick when I see him at Christmas and suggest that he may like to put his store back online.

If you want to have a look at some of his other work, his main website is at www.ascendant-design.com.

czar
14-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I had a look at your website, what I miss is:

What is this website all about?
What does season 2 mean? I thought it was a game?
What can I expect if I sign up? There are no screenies no examples of play.

You have obviously put in much effort into your project but, a person like me going to your website it is all very confusing.

Please do not take this critique the wrong way.

technomage
14-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Luckily, I have a very talented brother who donated his services free of charge. He produced all the 3D artwork used in the game

Looked at his other work, that is quite impressive :!: :!: . How would he feel about doing other "free" work :wink:

AthenaOfDelphi
14-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I had a look at your website, what I miss is:

What is this website all about?
What does season 2 mean? I thought it was a game?
What can I expect if I sign up? There are no screenies no examples of play.

You have obviously put in much effort into your project but, a person like me going to your website it is all very confusing.

Please do not take this critique the wrong way.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

What is the website all about?
The Outer Reaches - The Second Beginning is a multiplayer space strategy game that is played entirely with an HTML interface. Sinces theres no fancy 3D stuff (apart from the static images), its not to everyones liking.

You essentially take control of a planet in a distant part of the universe. Your aim is to be the most powerful player. You research stuff (weapons, ground units, ships, buildings, special projects and probes) which you then build to achieve your goal. You can colonise uninhabited planets or you can invade other peoples.

The game itself takes place in real time, although the ticker (a process which advances time in the gaming universe) runs every hour. Its not a quick game. Some things take over 4 days to complete.

What does season 2 mean? I thought it was a game
This is the second major version that has been released publicly. We launched our original season 1 early last year, but for various reasons, it got pulled and was replaced by a free, fast running version with one or two minor changes. We originally anticipated releasing a new season every 6 months, but due to my work commitments that simply hasn't been possible.

What can I expect if I sign up? There are no screenies , no examples of play
Screen shots don't really tell you much about play, but they do give you an idea of what to expect. I did post a ]here[/url].

This style of game is very much one of facts and figures. Theres no swanky graphics, no fancy sound track, just strategy, decisions and of course battles and their outcomes.

Its not everyones cup of tea. If you've never played a browser based space strategy game before, sign up and give it a go. You've got nothing to lose as its free and you never know, you might like it. For the story behind the game, check out our promo video (29MB DivX) (www.asut54.dsl.pipex.com/OuterReaches-Seas1-Story.avi).

Hope this helps.

AthenaOfDelphi
14-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Looked at his other work, that is quite impressive :!: :!: . How would he feel about doing other "free" work :wink:

Hehee

I think money is probably the best lubricant as far as the creative machine that is my brother is concerned. I find threats of physical violence don't carry much weight (he's bigger than me and he waives the 'you shouldn't hit women' rule on the grounds I'm his sister) :-D