PDA

View Full Version : Quake 2 Freepascal Total Conversion

L505
30-12-2005, 05:21 AM
I started a Quake2Freepascal port.

http://z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=Quake2FreePascal

Basically the menu works, the options, and settings - but as for gameplay? none! Something must be wrong with either FPC windows units or graphics units, if the source code works fine on Delphi.

In the DOOM conversion project, the problem was molasses keyboard in the menu system.. this is not an issue in the quake 2 freepascal port.

savage
30-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Are you aware that a Quake 2 and Quake 3 ports to Delphi already exists on Source Forge? Maybe you could use that Pascal code and make it FreePascal compliant, rather than start a totally new conversion.

WILL
30-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Hmm... it's true that you could very well be using the Quake2Delphi source instead, however since I have found that source to be quite buggy(crashes like mad on my system), I can't fault him for wanting to start fresh.

Though, it may be of great aid, if you are stuck rather than trying to reinvent the wheel as it were to reuse some of that code.

Either way it is nice to see that Quake2's source is being made FPC compatable! ;) Keep at it, whatever way you do decide to go. :thumbup:

MikeS
30-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Out of curiosity, have any speed tests been done to compare the Delphi source with the original C source of Quake II?

8)

L505
02-01-2006, 02:47 AM
It's not freepascal specific code from scratch. I'm doing them side by side here with simple ifdef's. There are no changes that are huge enough to require an include file - most are just ifdefs and extra compatibility units.

I'm doing them side by side like you guys say - this is delphi/freepascal together, just like the doom fpc/delphi code.

Problem is the code DOES work on delphi. The delphi exe works great. FPC one doesn't.

I just remember a long time ago Marco saying on the freepascal mailing lists "when freepascal can run Quake.." and that seemed like a dream at the time for some people. You know, and me not being an expert in gaming and all.. if I can get this to compile, anyone can.

What I'm really interested in, is not so much shooting monsters and blowing the doors off scary dark rooms - but rather finding glitches in the FPC compiler that need to be repaired. These huge projects can surely trigger bugs and get them repaired in the compiler.

marmin
02-01-2006, 04:24 AM
hey,

i'm just reading this topic out of interest-

>> will compile with Freepascal 2.0.2 and Delphi 6.

Ok, but you know that if you use any of the Lazarus or FreePascal graphics that is just >Extremely< buggy (because they want it to run on win, linux, freebsd, whatever, you know). avoiding it is the answer!

If you use DirectX you will not see any difference on any source code in Delphi 6 , or Lazarus (except for some small things that are obvious). What runs in D.6 will run in L. It's not the FP compiler.

coverting it to pure directx8, 9 or opengl is my advice..

technomage
02-01-2006, 11:15 AM
It's not freepascal specific code from scratch. I'm doing them side by side here with simple ifdef's. There are no changes that are huge enough to require an include file - most are just ifdefs and extra compatibility units.

A sound approach, I did the same with the rem Objects Pascal Script.

Problem is the code DOES work on delphi. The delphi exe works great. FPC one doesn't.

What I'm really interested in, is not so much shooting monsters and blowing the doors off scary dark rooms - but rather finding glitches in the FPC compiler that need to be repaired. These huge projects can surely trigger bugs and get them repaired in the compiler.

What Kind of errors are you getting? Can you make your version of the conversion available so others can test/debug it? Can you also provide details on the optimizations you are using in the compiler. Although I would recommend not using any optimizations to start off with, that way you can narrow any problems with the compiler down to specific areas.

Dean

L505
13-01-2006, 05:59 AM
What Kind of errors are you getting? Can you make your version of the conversion available so others can test/debug it? Can you also provide details on the optimizations you are using in the compiler. Although I would recommend not using any optimizations to start off with, that way you can narrow any problems with the compiler down to specific areas.
Dean

The version is available at the link above. All the details are there too..

L505
13-01-2006, 06:06 AM
hey,

i'm just reading this topic out of interest-

>> will compile with Freepascal 2.0.2 and Delphi 6.

Ok, but you know that if you use any of the Lazarus or FreePascal graphics that is just >Extremely< buggy (because they want it to run on win, linux, freebsd, whatever, you know). avoiding it is the answer!

If you use DirectX you will not see any difference on any source code in Delphi 6 , or Lazarus (except for some small things that are obvious). What runs in D.6 will run in L. It's not the FP compiler.

coverting it to pure directx8, 9 or opengl is my advice..

It is the same source code base. Side by side. Almost exactly alike. Almost like you were looking in the mirror.