PDA

View Full Version : DelphiX & UnDelphiX History 101

WILL
06-01-2006, 08:30 PM
The original DelphiX was never fully completed by Hori. He had left a few portions of the original library with absolutely no functionality whatsoever. It is only the work of others creating and updating UnDelphiX that these features and overall performance has been added and improved.

Hori kick-started it, but the others carried it on. UnDelphiX is a nice project to see after all these years still. :)

wodzu
07-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes indeed:)

However, I thought that DelphiX is my only choice in case of doing 2D games, but after browsing this forum for a while I see that there is a lot of other engines! :D

WILL
07-01-2006, 08:49 PM
There are countless! ;) Not to get into any graphics handling libraries here, but once the DelphiX project became inactive and Hori went silent people started making their own solutions. There at one time was Omega, XCESS, UnDelphiX, PowerDraw (add-on for DelphiX and independ and library) which is now Asphyre, SX Media components for DelphiX, WDirectX, the DirectX headers got more popular and of course many others...

But it all started with DelphiX. Thats why it's so popular even today.

LP
08-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Few additions to Will's history review:

1) WDirectX and DirectX headers existed for quite some time, but they don't go in the same category with DelphiX (they're low-level).
2) SX Media components were add-on components for DelphiX.
3) DelphiX add-on was PowerGraph (not PowerDraw), ZIP package had wrong name. :? (this was 6 years ago)

By the way, saying that I realized that we've missed Asphyre's 5-year anniversary... :oops:

WILL
08-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Ah yes, Lifepower knows the DirectX/UnDelphiX histories well.

I think the only ones that might have a chance at knowing it just as well or any better would be maybe Steven Wilson, Dean Ellis and Hori himself. :p

Am I missing anyone? I was a lurker at one time. ;) Me and my primed copy of Delphi 3 Professional. But look at me now, they can't get me to shut-up! :lol:

I learned something about the history of PowerDraw now. :) But I'm right in that it was born from your DelphiX add-on/assisting library, right?

technomage
08-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Ah yes DelphiX , good memories.

You are of course correct SX Media was a bolt on for DelphiX, I never go round to updating it for UnDelphiX.. does it even work with it :?: :?: Believe it or not SX Media is still being downloaded!! It's been years since I did any work on that package.

Just out of interest anyone use the DGC (Delphi Games Creator) components back then :)

WILL
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Well I updated your MPP API header ages ago, when you were still traveling around the world as Jason (Farmer) told me then. I remember I was looking for some way to contact you about SX Media, because I wanted to get a MOD playback engine working for one of my oldest projects(still yet to be completed) and ran into the Cerebral Bicycle site out of pure happenstance (I was not the always in the know about all things Pascal kinda guy as I am now. ;)) So like all others I was a DelphiX junkie too. :D

I think I still have the package I made up on my drive somewhere... still want it? :) It supports the latest version of the DLL which you didn't have, it was an older one I think. :think: But I got it working 100% due to your existing header. ;)

LP
08-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I learned something about the history of PowerDraw now. :) But I'm right in that it was born from your DelphiX add-on/assisting library, right?
Yes and the component was called TPowerGraph. The package was wrong named "PowerDraw". In fact, I just downloaded it from Turbo - it occupies only 260 Kb! :) By the end of 2000 I worked on PowerDraw to be an independent project.

Just out of interest anyone use the DGC (Delphi Games Creator) components back then
Actually, I tested DGC but it was slightly more outdated than DelphiX back then, so I never really used it. :?

WILL
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the only ones that might have a chance at knowing it just as well or any better would be maybe Steven Wilson, Dean Ellis and Hori himself. :p

:oops: It seems that I must correct myself. It's Michael Wilson NOT Steven Wilson, who is not a merging of both Sly's first name and Michael's first. :lol:

Mind you I think he'd be equally in the know aswell.

BTW, I think that this went WAY off topic, partially thanks to me. ;) So I shall split and move this portion to a new thread.

seiferalmasy
17-02-2007, 03:55 PM
where is this hori anyway?

nzo2
10-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Dunno. Although his long dead page (which appears in all the old links) seems to have come alive again?

I am curious to find out why he never completed / maintained the excellent work he started....

seiferalmasy
17-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I guess this mystery continues?

WILL
17-06-2007, 06:05 AM
I was sure that this was answered in a post somewhere in the forums here, but oh well here it goes again. ;)

Hori had stopped working on DelphiX for whatever reasons (I'll have to assume like most projects, lack of interest.) and moved onto a commercial project involving a library called TMpegEnc. It is assumed by most that followed DelphiX when it was still being developed that he had finally gotten a full time job in the industry and kept busy enough that he just didn't have time for it anymore. Add to the fact that his English isn't (or at least wasn't then) that great, so whatever non-Japanese speaking/reading audience he had sort of fell off the radar.

That is the story of Mr. Hori as I know it.

seiferalmasy
17-06-2007, 02:12 PM
cool I know TMpegEnc, didn't know he had anything to do with it though.

Such a pity he chose to leave without small polishing and finishing of delphix but oh well...

klanpaia
04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Question...

Is there a version that supports 24-bit?

Micronix-TRSI
15-01-2013, 10:07 PM
if you search for a GDK for Delphi (Direct-X) try http://code.google.com/p/gen2gdk/