PDA

View Full Version : Why can't ActionScript be more like PHP and Delphi?

WILL
11-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Ok I have been looking for ages into trying to find out where on earth I can find a listing of all the available class objects that Flash's ActionScript has.

Now I know that Flash is not a too for programmers, rather it's geared for the artists out there. But damnit, why do I have to pull out my teeth and finger-nails just to find out how to do the smallest things using this darn object model? :?

Anyone know where I can find my 'holy grail' of a reference? Really, it should have nice Help files like Delphi has... or at least online documentation like PHP.net provides...

mcory1
11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Have you looked at Macromedia's LiveDocs on their site? That's about the closest thing to documentation I ever found; always worked for me. If you're using MX 2004, it'd be at http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm.

HTH

What version are you using?

K4Z
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
LOL, I'm the opposite. Why can't PHP and Delphi be more like action script :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.

What version of of Flash are you using? Flash MX's help (and reference list) is pretty extensive, all the info you really need.

WILL
13-01-2006, 01:23 AM
:o I can't believe you just went there! :lol:

I am using MX 2004, but either I'm picky and I just don't like the documentation. I'm a programmer, not an artist I guess you could say... :?

LP
13-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Anything web-related is usually a major pain for me, so I try to avoid ActionScript at any cost. :mrgreen:
I use Flash for icons and 2D art though.

WILL
13-01-2006, 01:32 AM
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15683

This is something that really turned my head around on Flash. I always did like it and wanted to start learning it again. (It's been ages since I made anything with it. I can't count the number of versions have passed since I used to play with it regularly)

But I find that it's very powerful these days, but the documentation sucks and from a programmer's point of view it's practically a gaggle.

mcory1
13-01-2006, 01:54 AM
About the only other tip I can add is to check out http://flashkit.com. They've got a lot of samples there; one project I was working on was a dynamic catalog with menus and a scrolling thumbnail set. Between FlashKit and LiveDocs, I only had to guess at a little less than half of what I was doing.

K4Z
13-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Lol, you'll probably hate me saying this but, I learned a lot about programming with Objects and programming in general back in the days of pre Flash 5. I actually started programming in Flash before making animations :P.
It really helped me to get my head around the Java and C syntax. After a while with Actionscript and Java, it was hard to return to Delphi :mrgreen:.

Although Actionscript has gotten a lot more advanced, it's actually even easier to program with, a lot more freedom.

Is there anything in particular that you're having trouble with?

WILL
14-01-2006, 06:14 AM
You know how you can look up all the objects available like with the VCL and the Object Model? --I have this huge book here in Toronto that's called the Delphi 3 Super Bible. It list every single little aspect of the VCL visual and non-visual components, methods, events... everything... Then they improved the help files of Delphi and I stopped needing the book with all my apps. (That and I stopped using Delphi and I use Lazarus now :roll: )

Basically I want to know the entire object model. Everything about the webcam object microphone object... the lmnop object, etc.... I want a full list of all it's available objects shown in one place, not having to guess what I can fully do with Flash and ActionScript. It's a guessing game that way now. :?

K4Z
14-01-2006, 06:44 AM
You mean stuff like this; showing all methods and properties?
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flash_MX_2004&file=00000981.html#222118
(Follow the links)

Flash's Help has all this stuff for just about every class and object. I guess it is geared more towards programmers - just like Delphi's help, it'll just give you a quick meaning, with no real explaination or example. Will still need to experiment.

Note: If you haven't already, switch to Advanced mode in the actionscript window, much much easier to work with.