PDA

View Full Version : Dream come true = Nightmare :(

cairnswm
01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
One of every indie devlopers dreas just came true for me. And believe me its an absolute nightmare come true. :oops:

3 Sites (at least) have added my Run-A-War game to their free game lists. Last month I had over 6000 downloads between the 16th and the 31st! :)

Thats a total download data amount of over 8GB of data!

My hosting allows a download of 1.2GB per month.

So it costs me about R1500 extra ~$250 :!: :!:

:(

Paulius
01-02-2006, 06:40 PM
:shock: :o Wow! how did that happen?

Robert Kosek
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
WHOA! I suggest you start selling adspace just to keep your site's cost afloat! Great news, nightmare to manage, yup ... sounds like most of life to me. ;)

savage
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Congratulations!!!! and Commiserations :((

Traveler
01-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Whoa! You're kidding right? 6000 downloads in just two weeks??

WHOA! I suggest you start selling adspace just to keep your site's cost afloat!

Adds alone are not going to cut it. I'd recommend getting a new hosting deal.
For instance mine currently allows for up to 10Gb a month for ?¢,¬¨ 59,95/year. Alternatively I could increase to ?¢,¬¨99,95/year for 20Gb. Thats's nowhere near the costs you have to pay for this month alone.

Which lists did you apply to anyway?

tux
01-02-2006, 11:05 PM
8gb for $250? is your host insane??? might be time to find a host that doesnt rip you off :( (for example: 25gb bandwidth and 1gb space for $10 a month is the norm)

LP
01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Thats a total download data amount of over 8GB of data!

My hosting allows a download of 1.2GB per month.

So it costs me about R1500 extra ~$250 :!: :!:

:(
First, 8 Gb of bandwidth usage is not that much. You are really overpaying your hosting. Even for a free hosting package, 1.2 Gb per month is very little. I think you should look for better hosting right away.

On our site we anually pay one third of what you just spent and we have 250 Gb of bandwidth (currently no more than 4 Gb is being used monthly).

savage
01-02-2006, 11:55 PM
I think what most Europeans and American forget is that it is way cheaper in those parts of the world mainly due to their high population.

In Australia and I assume South Africa due to smaller population if you want to support the local economy, it costs you loads. When my site was hosted in Australia it cost me $50 a month ( about A£25 ). And I paid that for about 5 years as I was happy with the service. Since I switched to the new ISP it cost me about A£5 ( about $10 ) a month. But now my money is lining the pockets of an American company instead of it proudly supporting an Australian company.

I did not want to make to move, even though it was costing me considerably more. I wanted to support my local economy as I am not a great fan of globalising things. But as it happens, at the time we were having hosting issues, so I jumped ship. I'm happy about it financially, but not morally.

jasonf
02-02-2006, 11:03 AM
saying as the game is free, couldn't you get it hosted by a free mirror service? Other people seem to be able to do this.. or was I dreaming again?

If not and you're stuck, if you have a paypal account, I'll donate a few quid to the cause.

Remember, don't eat cheese before you go to bed. It causes nightmares. :)

cairnswm
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Well CairnsGames.co.za is now hosted in the USA. (As from this morning) - I'm actually hosting through the same company but on servers based in the USA which have more bandwidth available.

Everything savage said above is true. I am proudly South African and would like to support other South African companies if I can.

JSoftware
02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
b-one.net
clichehosting.com

really, why not get a host who allows unlimited traffic and at the same time cheap? my mother has the latter one of those i listed and it's working brilliantly

dmantione
02-02-2006, 05:26 PM
8GB?! :twisted:

ftp.freepascal.org (that is excluding mirrors) sends 350-450 GB/month into the world. It is good that there is plenty of bandwidth available in our part of the world, otherwise it would be simply possible to do what we're doing now.

And also: Unlimited = unknown. No hoster accepts that you pull their uplink through the wall by using the full 100 mbit of your ethernet card, it is just a question what they consider unacceptable. There are hosting providers that allow "unlimited" traffic for EUR 10/month. However no way that we can host ftp.freepascal.org there.

However, I think it is good that sites are hosted locally. If everyone in South Africa hosted its site in the US, there would be no money available to improve the local internet infrastructure. Countries that had internet early have an incredible advantage, and the situation in a country far away from the big internet exchanges simply cannot be compared to what is available in countries where you can go digging at a random place to find glass fiber.