PDA

View Full Version : Borland to sell off IDE product lines...

savage
09-02-2006, 05:34 AM
In an open letter to the developer community, David Intersimone, from Borland writes...
<blockquote>

Today, Wednesday February 8, 2006 at 1am Pacific Time, Borland announced plans to seek a buyer for our IDE product lines that include Delphi, C++Builder, C#Builder, JBuilder (and Peloton), InterBase, JDataStore, nDataStore, Kylix, and our older Borland and Turbo language products and tools. The goal is to create a standalone business focused on advancing individual developer productivity using the people inside Borland who are focused on the success of these award winning products.

</blockquote>
You can read more about it here ('http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33439,00.html').

tux
09-02-2006, 08:15 AM
is borland in financial trouble again???

LP
09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
No, they just lost all (?) their key developers and have nobody to work on IDEs anymore. :?

FNX
09-02-2006, 10:20 PM
No, they just lost all (?) their key developers and have nobody to work on IDEs anymore. :?

Sad but true...

WILL
10-02-2006, 02:43 AM
I think it was either discust or lost of interest in a possible train wreck.

WILL
02-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Has anyone heard any related rumors or official talk about this sp far? It's been almost a good 3 months since they made their announcement to sell off their IDE software and it's IDE development teams.

savage
02-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I will be attending a Borland presentation on the 9th of April so will be asking David Intersimone and crew what the hell is going on.

Eric
02-05-2006, 09:50 AM
News around this have been coming through

http://blogs.borland.com/abauer

though these are "news-lite"... Good luck on getting more info!

WILL
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
I will be attending a Borland presentation on the 9th of April so will be asking David Intersimone and crew what the hell is going on.
Be sure to plug us game developers in there somewhere too. ;)

A key statement that I know many of the loyal Delphi/BDS community will like is; "We won't be speaking to CTOs except in rare instances," Brown said. What he's saying is that "DevCo" will be about developers, for developers, and by developers. Most of the marketing will likely be squarely focused on the developers. Not some high-level CTO/CIO/VP mish-mash of confusing MBA buzzwords.
What the hell is a MBA? :eh:

I'd seriously like to know what they have in mid for use game developer types... maybe you can squeeze some information from David on that Dom? (if you can, of course)

Eric
03-05-2006, 05:28 AM
What the hell is a MBA? :eh:
One of the most evolved forms of the bean counter :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Business_Administration

WILL
04-05-2006, 12:27 AM
You know... I think one of the worst things ever done in the computer world is to treat software development like a business. :)

Now that might seem like a sort of funny statement, but if you think about it... look at what is taking over all of these BIG company products? Open Source! :lol:

Open Source is not very business-like. It is not developed on a business frame of scope either. You don't worry about profits, quotas and expenses, etc... and look at all the successful things that are out there. Some are even better than the comercial equivelents. And I'm not talking about the fact that it's free. It is just a BETTER program and more capable of what you want. Not some office weenie that pushes virtual pencils and counts all the beans that the programmers, project managers and other team members get to play with.

Thats not every case, but it's sort of a pattern that you can see i many cases AND anyone can point to at least one commercial program and say the same about it.

It would be nice to see this "DevCo", as they call it become more in touch with the software side and less about the business fluff that Borland has gotten wrapped up in.