PDA

View Full Version : How to (up/down)load ?

lepidosteus
16-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Hello peeps, I just wanted to know what i should do to be able to download my game done with midletpascal to my mobile phone ?

Do I just need to put the fileso nline and enter them in the url field of my phone, or do i need to setup something on my hosting ?

Thanks !

savage
16-02-2006, 05:33 PM
That's all I did ( uploaded to my website and then used my mobile to access the URL ) and it worked for me.

lepidosteus
16-02-2006, 05:38 PM
That may be a stupid question, but do you need both .jad an .jar files, and which one do you point your phone to ? (I don't have my phone right now, and want to sure of what to do)
Never coded in java so I don't know what these files are about.

Thanks

savage
16-02-2006, 10:25 PM
My understanding is that the .jad file is like a description file that gives basic information about what the users are about to download. It basically prompts the user to ask if they want to download the game. At which point the jar file is downloaded.
The .jar file is where the game and it's resources actually exist. For testing I usually just upload the .jar file and get my mobile phone to download that, but if you plan to sell your game I think you have to provide a .jad file as well as a .jar file.

Ahem disclaimer :) These are mainly my assumptions of how these things work as I have yet to try and sell any sort of mobile content, though I know that my MIDletPascal game works on Motorola V525 and the new V3 phones.

cairnswm
17-02-2006, 07:45 AM
To the best of my understanding the .jad file is used to move to the phone. When opened it automatically downloads the file linked inside it. The path must be the full path to the web server where the file is present.

savage
17-02-2006, 10:13 AM
[quote="cairnswm"]To the best of my understanding the .jad file is used to move to the phone. When opened it automatically downloads the file ]

I don't know for sure, but I have never edited a .jad file ( can you?? ) and as long as I upload both .jad and .jar file to the same location on my webserver I can use either to download the MIDlet to my phone. When I use the .jad file it shows details about the game I am about to download like Game Name, Author, file size etc before asking you whether you want to install it. While if I just download the .jar file it just says "file size unknown, do you want to download it?"

cairnswm
17-02-2006, 10:25 AM
My website doesn;t allow downloading of JADs for some reason. What I do for your games is load the jad file to my phone (through a cable) and open it. This then downloads the JAR file from your web site.

I did have to edit the JAD (notpad) to fix the location of the JAR file first.

My phone doesn;t allow me to execute a JAR loaded directly to the phone.

FNX
17-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello,
as far as i know you should always address the .jad file that is the
descriptor of the midlet. Inside the .jad file there should be the path to
the midlet itself (.jar) which will be downloaded.

I've tried it both online and by cable with my Motorola V3 and a couple
of my friend's Nokia and it all worked the same way.