PDA

View Full Version : PS3 release possibly delayed...

savage
21-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Not really Pascal related, but I'm sure a few people out there are eagerly awaiting to buy one.

Basically there may be a delay in the predicted release of the PS3. From bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4731128.stm)...

Sony's next-generation PlayStation 3 console could miss its spring launch if industry specifications for some of its technology are not finalised soon.
They said Sony was waiting for final specifications - which are decided by industry consortiums - on some of the technology in the PS3, including that connected to the Blu-ray disc drive and to input and output video and sound.

Maybe those of you who are waiting for your PS3 dev kits can shed some light on the matter, assuming you're not breaking any NDAs.

Sly
22-02-2006, 03:11 AM
What do you mean "waiting"? :)

savage
22-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I heard there was a delay getting them out to developers.

Clootie
22-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Final version could be delayed. But why DevKits? Sony already have Cell chips - and I doubt first-gen games will even use SFU's in it, so DevKit can use plain Power-derived IBM CPU. NVIDIA RSX stated to be derivative of G70, so can be bought in any quantity.

8)

Sly
22-02-2006, 10:23 PM
There is no delay in devkits. There is not just one devkit release. They release a new version of the devkits every couple of months that has more of the final hardware in it. They have already released a few versions, and they will have a few more releases before launch. Microsoft did that as well, even after retail launch.

savage
15-03-2006, 09:56 AM
So it looks like they will be delaying after all. With a possible worldwide release in November. Though apparently there will be an official announcement tomorrow at some Playstation event.

If they miss the November/December slot that will give XB360 2 Christmases to consolidate a fan base and could hurt Sony in the US and Europe, though probably not Asia. Though I hear that the XB360 backward compatability is not very good, by this Xmas there will probably be loads more XB360 native titles. which may have been Microsoft's ploy all along. don't put in very good backward compat and that forces adopters to buy to titles.

Steve, without getting yourself into trouble, it would be interesting to hear an insiders view if possible.

Eric
15-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Given the reported US sales figures

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145806.html

According to industry sources, more than 160,000 Xbox 360s were sold in February. That compares to more than 300,000 PlayStation 2's, more than 170,000 PlayStation Portables, and over 150,000 Nintendo DS units sold during the month of February.

Sony may not feel that much pressure just yet to force them into rushing out the PS3 too early, especially if that would mean taking a greater loss on the hardware and/or if the general console market isn't too hot.