PDA

View Full Version : Competition Scores: Minor Revision

WILL
10-03-2006, 07:16 AM
First off, I'd like to appoligise for the crazy mess of the 2nd Stage scores. We have had to iron out some tricky factors in the scoring scheme that were not accounted for in the beginning and only resolved until now.

This shall be our final revision so you can breath easy from here on.

Originally, we were going to have the Time Management points represented as a single sheet where your goals would be checked off and a single end score would be given for the lot. Then at the end we would simply multiply the single score by the amount of judges to match the equal ratio of the other end competition categories. Basically you'd end up with 5 categories each having 300 points.

Time Management being a total of the 100 points from the goals multiplied by the 3 judges to make a value of 300. Follow me so far? :)

Now that you understand the old rules, I'll explain the change.

Now in the revision, we will have a set of goal points awarded by each judge, rather than just the one set that all the judges would originally agree upon. Reason, it just complicates things when one goal feature would run for one judge and not another.

So now instead of having to just multiply the goal points by 3 to get the Time Management category score, we will simply take goal points from each judge and add them up to make a MAX score total of 100 x the number of judges.

One more thing I should mention. Originally, we were going to have 3 judges, well we are going to stick with just the 2 now.

SO all that means is instead of 100 x 3, we'll have 100 x 2 instead for each category.

<center>Time Management (goal points added up from both judges) 100 x 2 judges = 200 max score

+

Graphics (last submission judged) 100 x 2 judges = 200 max score

+

Sound & Music (last submission judged) 100 x 2 judges = 200 max score

+

Game Stability (last submission judged) 100 x 2 judges = 200 max score

+

Innovation & Fun (last submission judged) 100 x 2 judges = 200 max score

Total Score = ____ / 1000</center>

And that is the new revision. Questions, comments, rude remarks? :)

Traveler
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Sounds good to me

cairnswm
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I dont like rules changeing during a contest. But this one is a very possitive change :)

tux
10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
so are the stages still scored 5 points or nothing per goal?

savage
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Yes, but it is now 5 points or nothing per judge. This then gives a clearer picture of how each entry ran on each judge's machine.

I dont like rules changeing during a contest. But this one is a very possitive change Smile

Be certain in knowing that this change did not come about lightly, we argued the pros and cons at leangth before making the decision. In the end we think this is much clearer and of course fairer to all concerned.

WILL
10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Only for the 2nd and 3rd stages. Keep in mind that stages 4, 5 and 6 these point values per goal change due to the amount of goals there are.

As the stages go on you'll see more and more tie-breakers happening, which should add some bit of excitement as the competitions goes on. Something that I was hoping for when I came up with I called at the time 'the competition race' :)

michalis
14-03-2006, 03:50 AM
(Sorry for not responding earlier, I was on short vacation this weekend.)

I have a serious problem with scores for my entry: I got 10 / 40 points right now. Which is strange, because

1. Earlier I saw that I have 20 / 20 points. So I guess that both judges agreed to give me 20 points... So I should get 40 / 40 points right now ? Or at least 20 / 40 points --- since I guess that at least in the opinion of one judge I deserved 20 points ?

2. If this is not some mistake, and something simply didn't work on judges machines, I would obviously like to know what... I made all goals for stage 2, and the things were tested on various systems (both Windows and Linux). Although I don't have access to machines that are exactly like given in the judges specs, so I guess that some terrible accident was possible.

So, what's wrong ?

savage
14-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi Michalis,
It appears that Dean Ellis' score was not entered. I or WILL wil update the DB appropriatelty.

You can click on the scores link and find out how each judge scored you now.

michalis
14-03-2006, 04:58 PM
[quote="savage"]Hi Michalis,
It appears that Dean Ellis' score was not entered. I or WILL wil update the DB appropriatelty.

You can click on the scores ]

Thanks, I have 30 / 40 now. Much better :)

It appears that judges have different ideas whether using Blender to create VRML files should be considered as having a level editor...