PDA

View Full Version : OpenDelphi

Stoney
20-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Just noticed this OpenDelphi project: www.opendelphi.org
My english is too bad to explain all details correctly, so for short: This openDelphi project wants to animate the delphi community to donate some money to be a potential buyer for Borlands Delphi IDE.

What are your opinions to this plan? Feel free to post.

tux
20-03-2006, 09:47 PM
lol, i can see the asking price up into the millions of $

technomage
20-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I think this could be a good thing.

Think about it, Delphi has the fastest Object Pascal compilers out there. It also has a fairly good IDE. If made open source this can only help other pascal compilers such as free pascal, the community could move delphi to a true cross platform RAD tool rather than a hacked one.

I wouldn't put this idea down too much. I think some fo the broland guys would probably support this as well.

I for one would contribue to this if it means that Delphi doesn't disappear as a development tool.

At the end of the day variety and choice is good. We already know M$ will not develop a pascal compiler, if they were going to they would have by now. And is this about keeping Free Pascal alive to keeping the Pascal community as a whole free's and moving forward :?:

Sly
20-03-2006, 10:07 PM
As mentioned in the thread on the FreePascal mailing list about this topic, it is not just the IDE up for sale, but the whole IDE business. It cannot be compared to the Blender purchase that went for a mere hundred thousand dollars or so for the source code. This will be in the millions and will require a group of people to run it as a business.

marmin
29-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I think we're 'stuck' with the free pascal and lazarus thing..
it's a beautiful incentive that opendelphi but the forum is dead. it won't work. and, who says delphi is dead? i want to see it, mabe it will go to Adobe and .. (fill in). :D

Sly
30-03-2006, 11:42 AM
i want to see it, mabe it will go to Adobe and .. (fill in). :D
Go to Adobe and do what? Get all bloated? Oh wait. It already is.

savage
30-03-2006, 12:05 PM
It has to be a more focused company. Maybe Metrowerks or even Apple who might want to get into the dev arena. Maybe even Novell who might want some existing Linux dev support ( though it's not great ) to go with Mono and improve on it.

It just a waiting game for now.