PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard pauses when player hits too many keys at once

aidave
25-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I've had this problem forever with Delphi,
but not until recently tried to fix it.

If the player hits five or six keys at the same time, the app pauses.

Any way around this?

Robert Kosek
25-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Hard to say other than this is a physical design flaw of keyboards. Depending on what paths the key's take they can "meld" or merge signals when too many are pressed, usually above 3 keys for current models and about 5 for high quality, older models.

savage
25-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Any way around this?

Yes, tell the player not to do that ;).

aidave
25-03-2006, 08:46 PM
hmm

1 - Move Forward
2 - Strafe
3 - Jump
4 - Walk (shift)
5 - Fire weapon 1
6 - Fire weapon 2

in the heat of battle all these keys are often pressed at the same time

jdarling
25-03-2006, 10:14 PM
What does your process code look like? This can make all of the difference in the world. Also what are you using to process keyboard commands?

Chebmaster
21-05-2006, 02:13 PM
It's sure not the "acessibility" option of WinXP kicks in?.. It could've thought your player had a finger disability and helpfully tried to "aid" him. :evil:

Robert Kosek
21-05-2006, 02:17 PM
It's sure not the "acessibility" option of WinXP kicks in?.. It could've thought your player had a finger disability and helpfully tried to "aid" him. :evil:This is often deactivated. It's the hardware design of the Keyboard preventing additional signals along the wires inside to prevent loss of a certain signal.

Chebmaster
21-05-2006, 02:23 PM
But why then when I tried to press a dozen keys testing my app it didn't pause anything, just omitted the extra key press messages?

Maybe this is the reason: when keyboard is "overloads", the number of press/release messages sometimes doen't match each other.

Robert Kosek
21-05-2006, 02:50 PM
No. There are certain keys on the same wire pair, and the keycodes get scrambled if you press too many. Try pressing keys in the same 'column' such as '2WSX'. To prevent the overcrowding of signals, the keyboard limits them to roughly 3 per wiring set. Thus the omission.