PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from Omega Components to...?

splattergnome
02-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Hello!

I have been working on my current game project a long time which utilizes the Omega Game Components for its graphic rendering, sprite engine, and collision engine needs. Back when I started my project, Omega was the best and easiest-to-use engine available which could fulfill my needs, but since then my project has expanded a bit - and Omega seems to be in a deep coma.

So, I am interested in the hard work of transferring my game over to another engine. This won`t be hopefully that difficult, since most of my work was in internals and AI - but it would still be great if the future components pack was similar in function and usage as Omega to save time and effort.

Features the components/engine must contain are compatibility to Delphi 6, and it must have a sprite/collision engine - one which allows detection of *rotated* sprites (this was a function that Omega didn`t have). It must be easy to use - well documentated or with good examples. GUI functionality is also a big neccessity. Other than that, it should have the basic DirectX functionality such as graphic rendering and the like.

Can any of current *supported* 2d game engines fulfill these requirements?

Thank you in advance,
splatty

Robert Kosek
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Asphyre eXtreme has all those features. :) Sprite Engine is a user-made extension and has basic support. Using FastGEO you can code your own that it probably comprable to what you're used to.

http://www.afterwarp.net/

czar
02-04-2006, 11:05 PM
If you have made it in omega why not just stick to omega? Omega uses DX 9. Asphyre is now also stopped development.

At work we use Omega, delphix and danjetx and vcl programs.

I don't see the benefit of porting to another system that will not give you any extras.

splattergnome
03-04-2006, 11:12 AM
If you have made it in omega why not just stick to omega? Omega uses DX 9. Asphyre is now also stopped development.

At work we use Omega, delphix and danjetx and vcl programs.

I don't see the benefit of porting to another system that will not give you any extras.

Sprite collision detection with rotated sprites is a major missing feature in Omega - and a function which I really need for my project. That is reason enough for me to switch (since it doesn`t look like it will ever be added to the Omega components now).

I will check out Asphyre eXtreme - but since its also stopped development, I am worried about using it... I prefer to use an engine which still has support in case of potential bugs and whatnot.

splatty

savage
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
I will check out Asphyre eXtreme - but since its also stopped development, I am worried about using it...

According to http://www.afterwarp.net/ it is still being developed, or have I missed something?

Huehnerschaender
03-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Asphyre is still in development. Afterwarp Inc. decided to stop development when the rumors came out that Borland wants to sell Delphi. But for now it is still in development and Lifepower is working on further updates. He always points out that this or that feature will hopefully be included in one of the next updates, so he's still on it.

But as far as I know Asphyre does not support collision detection anyway. Maybe the user written sprite engine supports this, but I don't know and never tested it.

Robert Kosek
03-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I think the Sprite Engine supports boudning boxes, but I'm not sure. It's not hard to implement them anyway.

Asphyre is still under development, and I've had a few talks with Yuriy on various subjects and have seen a few glimpses into the future of Asphyre. I won't say much, but let me say this: I'm going to be there for the next version! :D