PDA

View Full Version : PacAttack

Xorcist
07-11-2002, 06:41 AM
Just a little clone of Pacman I've been working on in my spare time. Shouldn't be much longer before I get a beta out. The only unfinished aspects are the ghost AI, eating the ghosts, and the sound effects.

Some extras I've already added are a nice level editor with the ability to import custom maps into the game and a non-linear mutli-tunnel system (which allows Pacman to enter a tunnel on the left and exit out a tunnel on the top, or wherever else).

I'd also like to add some special items that Pacman can eat to enhance the game, like maybe a bomb that kills all the ghosts at once, or maybe a sheet that Pacman can wear so the ghosts ignore him... but all of that can be added after the basics are more or less complete.

I was thinking about releasing the the level editor ahead of time so people could create an assortment of levels that could be released with the game, but I'm not sure if I will. Post if you'd be interested in building a couple levels. Note that I store "author" data along with the levels so when they load the author's name is listed, along with the level's name.

I'll post a sceen shot if I get a chance.

Alimonster
07-11-2002, 09:05 AM
I have some lovely programmer art (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=25) for your pacman game if you're interested :roll:

Does anyone here remember Kwik Snax for the speccy 48K? Man, that was a fun game. If your game is anywhere near as much fun, it will be great (note to self: get an emulator sometime...).

Xorcist
07-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Thanks, but I actually did a little (and in "little" I actually mean small) artwork for the game myself.
Most of the graphics are no bigger than 16x16, but I think it looks pretty good.
Let me know what you think.

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~xorcist/Images/PacAttack/ScreenShot.png
This particular level is a recreation of the original Pacman board.

iLLUNis
07-11-2002, 08:34 PM
hey this really wakes up OLD memories.....nice one...hope you put a link to the game so we can have a look at it...

Xorcist
07-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Oh I will definitely be releasing a beta to the public as soon as it's ready. But first I have to improve the ghost AI, they like to smack into the walls right now and get dizzy. :)

TheLion
07-11-2002, 10:33 PM
I will be looking forward to that beta! :)

I miss good old pacman games, they where really fun to do... Strange don't you think, those old games all made deep impressions on us all, but those new shiny ones are cool for a moment, but most of them just dissapear without ever turning legend!

balog
09-11-2002, 02:43 AM
You probably know this Xorcist, but each of the four ghosts have different Ai routines

iLLUNis
09-11-2002, 02:47 AM
I will be looking forward to that beta! :)

I miss good old pacman games, they where really fun to do... Strange don't you think, those old games all made deep impressions on us all, but those new shiny ones are cool for a moment, but most of them just dissapear without ever turning legend!
I was just playing Pac Man this very moment.....you know with the Mame thingy....i do miss these games from time to time and it is good to be able and play Golden Axe and Defender of The Crown and all these...ahhh...these were the days.... :o

Xorcist
09-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Yeah I did my research... :) Though I think I'm going to advance the AI a little such that I won't have to increase the speed of the enemies to make the game more challenging. Of course there are going to be plenty of different level designs so that should add to the challenge as well.

Xorcist
27-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Quick Update:

Looks like I have the basic AI implemented for the Red ghost (all the others should be easily extrapolated from that one). I was also able to fix a couple bugs related to the new tunneling system I implemented. Finally I added a slight pause or back step for each pellet that Pacman eats to give the ghosts a chance at actually catching up to him (though this may be removed pending the AI is strong enough to not need it).

I still need to add sound effects and music (as well as their associated sub-systems) and the ability to eat ghosts and have them return to home base to regenerate. After that we're looking at a beta release to test and enjoy.