PDA

View Full Version : Video textures not returned

czar
02-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I have noticed that on ATI video cards that some of our programs do not free texture memory. We have programs written using clooties directx headers.

The problem is that texture memoryt is taken but never released. And obviously we are trying to release it.

We have found that setting the "texture preference" of the video card to the highest available seems to cure the problem.

This has been seen on ATI 9250 and ATI 9700 Pro.

Has any one else seen this and know of a cure?

chronozphere
03-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I've also an ATI GFX card, and i just checked the texture preference setting, wich was already 'high'.

I have noticed that on ATI video cards that some of our programs do not free texture memory....

How did you noticed that the memory wasn't freed??

p.s I think clooties headers are an 'almost exact' translation of the original C++ headers form M$.
Correct me if am wrong. ;)
Because M$ made directx, this looks more like a videodriver-bug.

czar
03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Initial symptom was that certain programs would "go white" after being run quite a few times. All shading and stuff was still there but the textures were gone.

So I ran Memstatus and could see as programs ran and exited the video memory would not free itself.

After chaning texture preferences the program worked normally again.

I have only seen this on two ATI cards and never with a NVIDIA card.

It is very annoying.

Clootie
03-04-2006, 09:12 PM
You should really install DirectX SDK - and allow debug runtime to be activated (you can always deactivate it later with DX ControlPanel). With Debug runtime - you can see (in event log) how correctly your application behaves to Direct3D.

For your case:
1) Debug runtime should say "MemFini" at the end of app execution (when D3D object is freed).
2) Moving texture slider in ATI ControlPanel / ControlCenter - shouldn't have any iunfluence on DX tuntime behaviour. If you are sure on contrary - it's driver bug -> try installing latests video drivers.

czar
04-04-2006, 01:12 AM
HI Clootie thanks for the tip.

It shows up with different ATI drivers and even the Omega driver (not to be confused with Omega delphi stuff).

i will get Dan to take a look at the issue.