PDA

View Full Version : How to use bitmapfont to pritn text from other language?

zq_ps
12-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm Thai and I want to create a game in my language but I have a problem with some charactor that have to be on above or bottom of another charactor. Could anyone suggest me any solution? Thanks for any suggestion.

jdarling
12-04-2006, 01:08 PM
I'ver never worked with the Thai language, but if your going to do the game in DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, GDI, etc... Then you should be able to create a custom font that allows for all of the characters that you need. Then write up a simple display engine that takes care of the positioning (something like a stripped down version of Uni-Code should do).

This is what I've done for a few locialized web projects, and in the end it worked fairly well. Only downfall on the web was no copy-paste :). In a game that isn't such a problem though luckily :).

Clootie
12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
ID3DXFont from modern DirectX 9 SDK's support UNICODE text rendering.

zq_ps
17-04-2006, 09:15 AM
After messing around with OmegaBitmatFont Unit, I have modified this unit to support my language. It is just ok for me now .but I would appreciate if you have any better way to slove this problem. ID3DXFont sound very interesting.but I download sample from cooltie website and I can't complie DX3Enum unit because it missing class CArrayList from D3Util unit .:)

Clootie
17-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Seems you've downloaded pretty old sample (DirectX 8.1 one?) - you should download correct version of helper classes from DX8.1 SDK/samples page.

But better just download newest DirectX9 SDK and samples - all examples use ID3DXFont to output text and CustomUI even has a UNICODE edit control you can play with!