PDA

View Full Version : Latest beta 6 release of Pixel...

savage
21-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Pavel has released a new beta version of Pixel (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/)

New Beta 6 builds for eComStation and BeOS/Zeta are now available for download, other platforms will follow. Notable changes are: support for RAW images, improved skinning, better stability and speed, color management fixes and CIE Lab is enabled again.

Update: Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X builds are now available also. Linux version now has also […]

jdarling
21-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Pixel is one of those applications that I really want to like. I want to like it so much that I've tried each new version, just to become more and more disappointed in it overall. First it doesn't run right on any of my 64 bit hardware (even if its in 32 bit mode) and even on 1/2 of my 32 bit systems its a bit unstable. Add to this the fact that it watermarks your photos and images while your editing (in demo mode) witch basically makes its demo useless.

Pixel is also about the slowest and featureless editor on the market, yes it supports "Plug-ins" but try and find the development kit or information on developing plug-ins for it. I know its still in beta, but my words of advice from the DNG and E-Mails stays the same; If your going to target photographers and photo-editors with a product then you better make the Demo run EXACTLY like the real thing. Don't watermark the image and place other crap needlessly (an ad to purchase comes up in the bottom left corner) on the screen. It needs to be fast and stable, and it has to support large image files (when I tried the latest with a print ready image it crashes with an out of resources or memory fault).

Don't take all of this as a negative crytisym for no good reason, I really hope that the author fixes the application and removes the garbage in Demo mode. As I've said, if he can get it to work and provides a good scripging and plug-in integration then I'll buy it, but if lightroom comes out first I'll be going with it.

PS: Where is the tablet support?