PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

BlueCat
07-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi there

A chance for us to get to know each other. Who are you, where are you, how old are you, what do you like/dislike, what's your shoe size, favourite drink, whatever :wink:

OK my turn:

I'm 29, live in Cornwall UK, I like cats, I don't like mushrooms, my shoe size is 11, my favourite drink is ummmm Absinthe (but not every day!).

Let's hear about you now :D

TheLion
07-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Let's see... My name is Armand Postma, I'm 19 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I like computers (of course), music, watching television, reading, cooking and everything that is related to Ireland (or Celtic).

My favourite music band is the Corrs, but I like a lot of different styles of music and therefore a lot of different bands, groups and artists.

My shoe size is 43/44 (we have a different system in the Netherlands, have no idea how to convert it, but I believe it is a 10 or something).

For more information about me, visit my website: http://www.lionprod.myweb.nl and click the "About Me" button! 8)

iLLUNis
07-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Hello....I am Stefanos Brilakis and i am an IT Consultant...I love programming and network security. Since consultancy can become really boring i create small applications to kill the time and enjoy myself. Last but not least i play games, mainly RPG.....thats all folks... :?

Alimonster
07-11-2002, 01:45 PM
My name's Alistair Keys and I'm a 22 year old Scottish guy. I live in Arbroath, which is a town about 20 miles north of Dundee.

I like listening to loud music (such as Foo Fighters or S Club 7) and programming. I (try to) write games in my spare time, perhaps breaking into the industry properly one day (or maybe not, depending on my mood).

My favourite drink is not absinthe (bluecat, are you crazy?!). I am partial to Guinness, however.

I am very whimsical. I tend to have lots of tasks on the go at any one time and will switch between them the moment one gets boring.

Oh yeah. Cats rock, too.

Useless Hacker
07-11-2002, 02:29 PM
My name is Michael Trim, I am 17 years old and I am half English, half Scottish. I live in the South-East of London, which is a small town in England (!).

I am currently doing my A-levels and am hoping to study Computer Science or Computer Systems Engineering at University next year.

I like programming (obviously), and my favourite computer game is Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

My favourite drink is H2O. :)

(BTW: Why can't I use HTML tags in posts? I wanted to use the <sub> tag on the H2O above)

BlueCat
07-11-2002, 06:24 PM
(BTW: Why can't I use HTML tags in posts? I wanted to use the <sub> tag on the H2O above)

When you write your post, there's an option to switch HTML on and off. I think that's what you're looking for.

Zanthos
07-11-2002, 07:00 PM
My name is Dale Reidy and I'm a full time college student in Blackpool, Lancashire, England. I started programming when I was 7 on the Commodore 64, then onto the Amiga 600, then the PC, progressed from QBasic, to Visual Basic, to Delphi 3, 4 and finally where i am now, Delphi 6 :) Favourite drink.. depends on the situation really :wink: Infront of my desk: black coffee, 2 sugars, out with my mates: Guiness or Heineken :) Applied to do Computer Science either Batchelors or Masters at Bristol, Leeds, UMIST, Nottingham, Sheffield, or York, depending on how bad my A-Level results are :)

Bobby
07-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Hi, my name is Bobby Baker, im 19, live in the USA. Illinois to be exact. I've been programming since i was 15 or something like that, I've tried lots of languages, but I like delphi the best. I'm currently working on a set of delphi components similar to delphiX or dgc but it uses directX8. My favorite drink would have to be Dr. Pepper ;)

Snape
07-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi, my name is Christoph Lupprich, I'm a 17 year old student from Austria.

In my spare time I like reading books about political and astronomical topics, listening to music (mainly radiohead, nick cave, etc.), of course programming and Australia.

My favourite drink is tonic water.

Useless Hacker
07-11-2002, 09:16 PM
When you write your post, there's an option to switch HTML on and off. I think that's what you're looking for.
Oh no there ain't. There's a thing telling me that HTML is off, BBCode is on and Smiles are on, and check boxes to disable BBCode and Smilies, but there's no way to turn HTML on. In my profile I have selected Use HTML or whatever, but it still doesn't work.

lnpneil
07-11-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm Neil, I'm a Welsh guy living in Canada...
I miss good Guinness... :roll:
I've just discovered Delphi recently and am in the process of being amazed at how easy things seem to be compared to C.

What more can I say?

Neil

BlueCat
07-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Oh no there ain't. There's a thing telling me that HTML is off, BBCode is on and Smiles are on, and check boxes to disable BBCode and Smilies, but there's no way to turn HTML on. In my profile I have selected Use HTML or whatever, but it still doesn't work.

Big sorry, you're right, my bad :oops:

Could you try again? I've enabled HTML now. The tags available are <b>,<u>,<i>,<pre> and <sub>. I can add more if needed.

Useless Hacker
07-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Yes it works!!:D You could also add the <sup> tag.

BTW: nice to see that this forum handles nested quotes properly

Big sorry, you're right, my bad :oops:

Could you try again? I've enabled HTML now. The tags available are [b],<u>,[i],<pre> and <sub>. I can add more if needed.

BlueCat
07-11-2002, 10:23 PM
You can use <sup> now

balog
08-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Brock Logan, 26, Australia

Shoe size is 15, and favorite drink is coffee

Been programming for 4 years, using mainly Delphi, C++ and ASM.

Spare time has been kind of limited recently, but game programming is high on the agenda when I do find some time. Been dabbling in a bit of xbox development the last few months. Interesting stuff.

Alimonster
08-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Spare time has been kind of limited recently, but game programming is high on the agenda when I do find some time. Been dabbling in a bit of xbox development the last few months. Interesting stuff.
Sounds fun! Any interesting info you can tell us about x-box dev? How different is it from PCs?

P.S. Sorry about mangling some of your post - I clicked the wrong button. The only info missing, I think, is your shoe size (15) ;).

balog
08-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Developing for the xbox is exactly the same as developing for pc's in some ways, and completely different in others. Vauge enough for you. Sorry it's kinda late here.

MarkyD
08-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Yoooo.

I'm Mark Douglas, 15 and live down in London, England. I like footy, dance and trance, Delphi programming (of course), a lil bit o beer here and there, and just hanging around with my mates. :)

I've been programming in pascal/Delphi for 4 or 5 years. I tried C++ about a year ago, but I hate it. :P Delphi all the way! :)

I've had little to no time to do anything recently; up to my neck in GCSE coursework (damn art), but if I do find time I'm just messing about working on an MSN Messenger client.

Shoe size: 9
Favourate drink: Always Coca~Cola.

FusionWolf
10-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Hi! I'm 25 year old guy from Finland and I'm just begining at game programming. I have been programming Delphi about couple years and a Little bit with DirectX 8.1 too just to mention.

My current project is called Meteors and it's in design state at now!

{MSX}
10-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Hi! I'm Nicola, i'm from Venice (Italy).
I'm 22 now and i've started programming very early. My first computer was an MSX on which i spent an increbile amount of hours..
I'm so in love with that computer that i use it's name as my nickname :D
What else? My favourite game is UFO: enemy unknown, my drinks are beer, coke, tea, i listen to whatever kind of music but disco, i like girls very much

About game programming i think the most important thing is: complete a game! I've seen thousands of unfinished game, and very few people who completed one.

My last game was an adventure like Monkey Island called "Nardo and the broken astronav" that was quite a success (relatively to home made projects, of course :D ) here in Italy.

Im currently waiting an inspiration for my next game. :wink:

TheLion
10-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi MSX,

I downloaded and played you point-and-click adventure (Nardo) and I liked it very much, I only understood about 10% of what the characters where saying, but that probably was because I don't speak Italian! :)

I'm still planning to write a point-and-click adventure someday, however I don't have the time and still missing out on a good story! :)

{MSX}
10-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi MSX,

I downloaded and played you point-and-click adventure (Nardo) and I liked it very much, I only understood about 10% of what the characters where saying, but that probably was because I don't speak Italian! :)

I'm still planning to write a point-and-click adventure someday, however I don't have the time and still missing out on a good story! :)

Hi
Thank you! I'm quite proud of it :D
I've still the idea of translating it in english, but it is a very hard work (you don't know how many lines of text you must write on an adventure until you actually program one). Also my english is not good enougth..

If any of you english men speaks some italian and want to help just tell :)

If you have to write an adventure, remember to implement a good script becouse i've started coding the game events in the program and it was really bad :P don't do it! :wink:

TheLion
10-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind if I'll get around to writing one someday! :wink:

mrevil
12-11-2002, 11:10 PM
I am Mr Evil

I am everywhere

I am programmer art :mrevil:

FEAR ME!

Useless Hacker
13-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Have we been hacked?

BlueCat
13-11-2002, 12:11 PM
No it's OK, myself and Alimonster are well aware of mr evil. Don't let him intimidate you, remember he's not real, he's just programmer art :twisted:

Useless Hacker
13-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Ok, I feel a right idiot now :oops:

TheLion
13-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Isn't it the new handle of mrAdmin ?

Viro
14-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Name : Wee-Jin Goh

I started programming at 10 with BASIC, and I hated it. That put me off programming for 4 years till I tried it again, this time with C. I fell in love with programming, and I've done C++ (and all those stupid libraries), Java, and I'm now trying out Delphi.

In my spare time... wait, I don't have spare time :wink: . I'm going to apply to do a masters in some of the Unis when the application date opens in January. Buf for the life of me, I don't know which one.

McCLaw
14-11-2002, 02:32 PM
Hi ! :D

My name is Maarten Kronberger.
I see a lot of you are part of the quake c to Delphi project on my site.
I am 25.

And jobless :shock: at the moment. hehehe. The wonders of the IT world...
I started coding in gw basic and progressed from there.
My favorite drinks are Southern comfort + coke and archers.

I wouldn’t say that I hate c++ but given the choice I would rather work in Delphi :D

My favorite pastime is coding OpenGL apps (in Delphi of course), Cage fighting and Playing guitar and drums.

*For some reason it feels like I’m in a singles bar at the moment :wink: *

Oh yes!
My shoe size is 13.

McCLaw
14-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Oh and i live in South Africa...

QuazzeMan
14-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Ok heres some basic info about me.

My name is Tommy Jonsson and i live in Sweden, 22 years old.
Been programming for about hmm cant remember but first program i wrote
was on a 16mhz 386 (it was modern then) in qbasic.
Then i discovered Pascal and fell in love. Then windows 95 came and saw the
beauty of Object Pascal and crushed Turbo Pascals heart when i left it for Delphi.
I have been testing some other languages also on the side like asm/c/c++
but noone suited my taste.

Nowadays i work at a small programming company here in sweden developing
administration/database programs all day long in delphi. Have also written some
rater large programs on varius handheld computers like psion and minec.
At home im currently testing development for the xbox but unfortunally its all
VC++ there :\

Oh favourite drink ? must be Absolut Vodka :-P

// QuazzeMan

Andreaz
05-12-2002, 08:11 AM
I'm a 21 year old guy from the south of sweden, started programming in QBasic when i was 12, at 15 i started with delphi. Have also programmed a bit in Java and Hardwareclose Ansi C on a ARM platforrm (samsung microprocessor). But delphi is the language i like the most =)
I'm currently working on GLXtreem and a bunch of other projects =).

I'm a student at "Halmstad University" where i studying for Bachelor and maybe Master later in Computer Systems Engineering.

Sly
05-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Well, after reading all these responses I feel like the old guy here. Left my twenties behind several months ago.

Stuff about me and other things...<blockquote>I work for Krome Studios in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. There are currently three released games with my name in the credits: programmer on Championship Surfer (PC), senior programmer on Disney's Extremely Goofy Skateboarding (PC) and most recently lead programmer on Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (PS2, GC, Xbox) that has just been released worldwide. I am currently lead programmer on another PS2, GC, Xbox title. I went to university to do an IT degree thirteen years ago, but failed after three and a half years because I was playing too many games on the C64 and Amiga. I now consider that time spent playing games as research into my future career. I stumbled onto Delphi in 1996 while working for an electronics engineering company and haven't stopped using it since. Except for when I am work where I use C++. Shoe size is 9 1/2 - 10 (depends on the shoe). I am the current maintainer of turbo, a site dedicated to game development with Borland products. I met Michael Wilson (previous owner of turbo) when I was in LA last May for E3. Very cool guy! I do dance classes including jazz, classical, tap, contemporary and irish. My favourite is pax de deux (picking girls up and sitting them on your shoulder or holding them over your head). I help teach little kids dance classes ages 2 to 8. I love kids. My very first Delphi project remained on the production floor at the engineering company for almost four years testing energy meters 24 hours a day. I have a wonderful and beautiful girlfriend (she's a dancer too). Xbox is sooo easy to develop for. PS2 is a bitch. I won't even go into GC. I wear very loud hawaiian shirts to work every day. Krome Studios rocks! I drive a white 1999 Holden Commodore VT Series II with full body kit, alloy wheels and dark tinted windows. Number plate is '30 SLY'. I have a very short haircut. The PS2 rules the market with a tight stranglehold. I cannot sing.</blockquote>

Kim Friis
05-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi Sly, don't fell old. Then I also have to fell old, and thats not good :-)

Name: Kim Friis (And thats a male name in Denmark)

Started with a Commodore Vic20 and tried a litle peeking and pooking with that. Got into Turbo Pascal 7 when I got my degree, that was followed by Delphi 1 when I got to work, and have been thru all 7 versions of Delphi, used professionally to do alot of DB work.

Tried to do some game project in my spare time, but they never seem to lift off. I have tried alot of game lib's for Delphi (DGC, DelphiX, G4D to name a few) Now I am trying to make a small webbased cardgame for me and my friends with Delphi 7 and Intraweb. (Perhaps idea for a new forum?)
Favorite drink: Hm Used to be "SmA¥ GrA¥" (vodka with some strong candy in), now I'm older and enjoy a good glass of red wine.
Shoesize: 11 (or 45)

Oh and I got a 3 year old son that can now beet my ass in Need for Speed 5. Perhaps I should by him a PS2/X-Box so he can play Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, instead of stealing my PC?

Armand
27-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Name : Andrew.
Handle : Armand. ;=
Dream Job : Games Programing. {Isn't it always}
Likes : Music (eclectic but heavy and german is always good)
Clubbing (alternitive a preferance)
Writting Good, Fast code. (any lang, any OS).
Dislikes : Anything first thing in the morning (one or 2 exceptions).
Biggotry.
Being told I'm wrong with out a logical or rational expliantion.

Other Hobbys (other than writting games) :
Music composition, Martial Arts, Electrionics, Dressing oddly, Stage Performance.. other stuff that I cant think of at the moment.

P.s Blue Cat. Absinth is nice isn't it.

TheLion
27-12-2002, 09:10 AM
I think it's funny that your handle is Armand! :)
May I ask where it came from???

The reason I'm asking (before you think I'm some sort of geek) is that my real name is Armand, so I'm kinda curious where your handle came from! ;)

Armand
28-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Lion : Yeah, I noticed your name. Cool.
As for the Handle... err... Anne Rice.

I thought he was one of the more interesting Vamps in the books.

I've been told I look like Antonio Banderas :oops: , But I think they were delusional. :roll:

My other nick is Yassim and I get called that more then my real name. Even at work...

Armand..

yawbird
28-12-2002, 06:24 PM
Hmmm allot of experienced delphi ppl here, i mus say!!

right im a newbie to programming and at the mo im bein taught delphi in my programming lectures. Im doin cybernetics at reading and programmin is a core essential of it! I was completely new to it a few months ago but gettin the knack of it.... well i little :)

expect allot of newbie questions from me!!

Derek

TheLion
28-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Newbie questions are my favorite! :) Well ehm ... They are they only questions I feel confident when I answer them ! ;)

Have a lot of fun on this forum and I hope you enjoy programming as much as I do! :)

Eriken
03-01-2003, 01:56 PM
My name is Erik, I'm 27 and I live abit outside Oslo in Norway.

I work fulltime with something that hasn't got anything to do with programming :roll:

Interests: computers, sports, animals.

Started out with Basic on a Spectrum 16K long time ago, been playing with the Commodore 64K, Amiga 500 and now ended up with PC. Have programmed most with Turbo Pascal, and have now been looking at Delphi for a while. Basically I'm a newbie who needs to get going with this programming soon, so I'm looking into a few ideas for a game.

-------
Eriken

Diragor
03-01-2003, 11:04 PM
My name's Ryan, I'll be 30 on Monday. Been a pro Delphi developer (commercial niche product, then internal business apps) for almost 4 years, did it nearly full-time unofficially for the Air Force for a couple years before that. I taught myself programming (VB then Delphi and C++) during my first two years in the AF. I've been kind of a student of game development for a long time but have very little to show for it so far. I'm much more interested in music so I'll probably never accomplish much in game development, unless it's as an audio guy.

Sly
13-01-2003, 08:21 AM
My other nick is Yassim and I get called that more then my real name. Even at work...I get called Sly by everyone at work even though my real name is Steve. They originally started calling me by my 'net nick to avoid confusion with another Steve here. I'd been here for several months and some colleagues still did not know what my real name was. I'm also the only person in the credits of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger to have their nickname included, due to the reason that I am commonly known as 'Sly' around the office and at the publisher. Outside of work and off the 'net however, everyone knows me as Steve.

Kim Friis
13-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Arh so the Wife does not cry out Sly when..... Sorry, couldn't resist it. :lol:

Sly
13-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Umm... err... no. :)

BojZ
26-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Bojan Arah, 23, "studying" economics, will take informatics classes here in Ljubljana next year.

Been programming for a while now, but don't consider myself a "pro programmer", started with Pascal 7 coding games from the beginning. There were times when games didn't work because I didn't use the repeat until, but those times have passed and I've learned a bit on game development/programming since then.

I've been working as a tester and in the infocenter of big local company that kinda went down. Quit my job to get my lazy ass back into the crowded classrooms at the univ. Feels WAY better than working my ass off for really small money with no real future in sight.

Now, I've gathered a team last September, realizing that I can't make "good" games alone. Current project is a space shooter called SpacePirates
(http://redpoint.no-ip.com/bojzgames/spacepirates/files/spacepirates0.zip) , that we've started with the help of Traveller's tutorial and are looking forward to the day when we finish working on it, so we can move on to the next project.

Not really picky about the favorite drink, shoe size 42.

When I'm not programming games and studying I spend time with my girlfriend. She's the one boosing my morale and elan to make games. She even unglues me from the computer when I can't do it myself,... heheheh =) I also love to play games, RTS, FRP, Action games, UFO : whatever, Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance 2, I like the tactical games a lot.

More? Naaah,... :wink:

Bylkki
04-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Hi, my name is Joel Pitkanen I'm 14 years old and I live in Finland and I just registered to these forums.

I first started programming when I was 7 years old with delphi4 but I stopped it cos I thought it's too hard. I started programming again when I turned 10. Now I'm making an FPS-game called Lunatic but I think it will never get finished.

Other hobbies besides programming: skateboarding, snowboarding, playing the guitar, football, 3Dmodelling...

BTW Am I the youngest one here?

Karaman
06-05-2003, 08:00 AM
The Name is Ivo and the nick is Karaman.

I am 23 year old Bulgarian Fat Programmer (75 kg / 1.66 m)

I have been programming since I was 12, but my first serious
programming for CASH was at the age of 15. Now I am writing
Web Portals in PHP. I dont have time for something better,
cause now I am a student of Authomatics and Information Technology
at the Technical University of Sofia. Now I am developing a game
called Karaman's Fantasy, but the project goes Open Source cause
I dont have much free time.

I like gaming, pizzas, excursions, walks, discos, parties, basketball
playing, programming, drawing, chatting with NOT mindless girls :)

here is my web-site:
http://www.plovdivart.com/karaman/

Crisp_N_Dry
06-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Hello all,
I'm Dave. From Norfolk, England.

I like programming games, playing games (Animal Crossing import, yay!).
I hate working as a delivery guy for Curry's (No worries. Pfft).
My favourite drink is wee wee.
I also like being childish on a variety of forums and building SUPER gaming PC's as a sideline.

Harry Hunt
06-05-2003, 08:38 PM
My name is Kai and my nickname is "Harry Hunt" which is actually my middle- and lastname translated into English.

I'm doing alternate service in a hospital at the moment (until August 2003). I also work as a freelance/contract programmer and web designer.

Type this into Delphi and hit F9 to get my age:
ShowMessage(IntTostr(Round(SizeOf(Integer) * Pi + VK_END / SW_SHOW)));

If I'm right, this may return an incorrect value for users of an older version of Delphi (didn't they change the size of Integer?)

I was born and live in Germany.

I like Delphi, game development, classical music, industrial, metal (very strange combination, I know), lasagna....

I dislike creative burnout, green peppers, tomatos, zucchinis and eggplant.

My shoe size is 11 (US).

My favorite drink: I drink sparkling water most of the time. I also like Mountain Dew a lot - too bad you can't buy that in Germany.

Sander
14-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Alrightie then, this is me(please, please, please don't judge me on an age basis, age has little to do with maturity)

My name is Sander Philipse, I'm from a small place called Moergestel in the Netherlands.
My nickname comes from all of the games I've played, and when I wanted to have an evil-sounding nickname to be considered uber-1337. Luckily, I've left that behind me, but I'm still using the same nick.

I'm 15 years old, and still in high school, hoping to go to a university in about one and a quarter of a year, and I'm very annoyed by the complete incompetence of my informatics teacher(Just today, I had to explain what a timer does...).

I like programming, I've been doing it for about 7 or 8 years now, started out with Qbasic, and switched to Delphi after I heard that Delphi was the best language to use(seriously, I heard this from a professional programmer)
I also like playing Neverwinter Nights on-line(for those of you who know the RP scene there, I'm one of the Roleplay purists), the tabletop war-game Warhammer, reading fantasy books, playing games, and having intellectual discussions on forums.....
Basically, I'm almost a stereotypical nerd. :shock:

Well, that's about all.......

AuslandeR
30-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Hello my name is Bax[something more goes here] Nick and I am 23 years old. I know nothing but I am willing to learn.
I am from thessaloniki, greece. I studied computer enginear in my country (not a big deal believe me) And I am trying to learn more stuff for my self. I like the idea of making my own games and ofcourse I want to make something real cool because here in Greece no one realy bother for making something like a GAME :) Anyway
Nice meeting you all

Για σας απο την Θεσσαλονίκη.
Thats in greek Hello from Thessaloniki :pp
Anyway have a nice time

fitzbean
08-06-2003, 12:03 AM
28, programming on and off since 6 (went from BASIC/A to QBASIC to PASCAL to DELPHI, and now am learning C++ (and it sucks compared to delphi BTW! - at least the borland IDE makes it somewhat tollerable) for work)

for more info bout me and all the things i do/like, my personal projects homepage is:
http://www.elitefxgames.com/

Gadget
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi, didn't see this thread until now :P

My name is Chris, and I am 28 years old. I work for a large blue chip company in the UK, and I hate it :P I have used Delphi for around 4 years and love it :) I prefer the RAD elements of Delphi over C++ any day, besides C++ is only a little faster for some things.

I have written alsorts of bits of crap over the years, a NES emulator written in Delphi using DirectX, and several graphical tools used to edit and modify image and data files for other games. I spent quite a bit of time over the last few years studying microprocessor architecture and software security, understanding how people hack software and systems. I also gave up trying to go for my degree, as real world tasks took presidence.

I am completely sick of my job, the Delphi market in the UK is pants! I want to be part of, or form a game software development house. For the last 6 months I have been developing my own MMORPG, using Delphi and DirectX. My dedicated team is about 6 strong (with about 15 testers and advisors), but only myself working on the code...

I hope to be able to make some kind of financial return from the product within 2 years, but there is still lots to do.

Here is a WIP:- http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.r.millward/client009.JPG

Married, no kids, beautiful wife who is a Linguist. (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, little Russian, Norwegian, Dutch ....)

There are things I can do expertly in Delphi, and there are things that confuse the crap out of me, like 'Abstract'.

Oh, and my nick is Gadget, because I used to be an electronics engineer and tend to be quite technie.

tux
19-06-2003, 01:07 PM
im tux :D

NoPanik
23-06-2003, 07:13 PM
NoPanik!
I'm 36 years old but don't panic... I'm Dutch you see, so nothing to worrie about. After doing a lot of programming in the late 80's and early 90's in asm and C, I lost my interest in it because I didn't want to make the steps to oop and windows-orientated stuph. Just until about 6 months ago when I discovered the comforts of Delphi. I really like comfort so I started to combine learning Delphi and DirectX (totally new for me :) ) and soon I found myself searching the internet for help on both topics. And now I'm here because I read some quite informative postings here and I think this could be a nice forum for me, but still... no reason to get upset!

NoPanik

Greets to you all

Maja
06-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi everyone.. Glad to have found this fine forum of goodness..

My name is Mike, I'm 23 (24 on 15th of July) and I currently live in Toronto, Canada..

You mean to tell me there are other things in life besides Delphi? I missed that boat!

My sig says it all..

Eriken
06-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Yes, there is: Computer ... without it, you can't do much Delphi-programming :twisted:

Welcome :)
_____
Eriken

Maja
06-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Yes, there is: Computer ... without it, you can't do much Delphi-programming :twisted:

hehe, that and my Dr. Pepper!

Welcome :)

Thanks!

0x00000017
08-08-2003, 11:52 AM
:D , wow, lots of people :D, i'm yuri, 15 years old, trying to learn c++, i currently know how to program with delphi (not aqn expert though), i'm learning directx and opengl, and directx9 with c++ :D...and i just started a Games Development Forum, please visit and support me:) http://gamefiles.ath.cx/~gamefile/GDF/

Useless Hacker
08-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Welcome!

Shouldn't that be: "$00000017" ? :)

08-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Lol, didn't see this thread :)

So my name if Maxime Delorme, I'm french 17 years old.

I learned the basis of programmation at the age of 6 when I wondered how were made the games I was playing with :)

I begun to write some Basic(GWBasic for the precision) lines, learning from an old book (don't remember the name).

From here to now, I've always been programming, I've learned since, other langages but the real trip into programmation begun at the age of 12(I think it's 12 or 13 but I'm not really sure) when I bought my first copy of Delphi :) Delphi 3 personal Edition.

But since the beginning I never had make a game ... When I got internet, I searched almost everywhere how to create games with Delphi (and fall into the little disappointment that games were made under C or C++).

Finally after some times of research I found a tool called DGC(Delphi Game Creator). But I was disappointed seeing that DGc was only for Delphi 1 and 2 and not really for Delphi 3.

After some other time of research I finally found DelphiX ! And then I begun gathering more and more documents about the creation of video games.

I'm now making a small game in 3D with Direct3D with a friend of mine.

Later ... I'd like to work on AI systems if I can.

So that's all about me :P

Septimus
08-08-2003, 10:53 PM
I saw this thread, but for some reason it just never clicked to actually post in it. I guess that's my anti-social behaviour showing even on the net.

My name is Brett, I'm 24 and I'm an alchoholic.
(crowd): "Hi Brett"

nah just kidding :roll:
I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigs or take any drugs more potent than panadol (no wonder I'm so bored all the time :wink: ).

My first experience in programming (not counting some funky osbourne keyboard thing a mate owned, you plug it into a TV and type stuff in and try to catch boxes with other, bigger boxes) was in high school PCM (practical computer methods: actually a word processing class). Messing around with the computer I found it had QBasic and subsiquently added a third snake to nibbles and made the gorillas do the mexican wave. I couldn't do much more than cut & paste and change variables tho.

Then we were taught Pascal in IPT (information processing & technology) and that opened up a whole new world. I managed to talk my teacher into lending me a copy of TP7 (don't tell borland) so I could experiment at home (classes were pretty limited and the techer spent most of his time attending to the less interested).

The first (not 'hello world') program I ever made was a computer ATM (electronic bank) that would read a PIN and balance from a floppy disk. You could withdraw & deposit and all kinds of stuff. I was pretty impressed with it. The first game I ever finished was a turn based text flight sim. Sounds strange I guess, but it worked. I even made a nice crashing scene when you got shot down (a stick plane moving 45A¬? into the ground and exploding into red & yellow pixels). I was pretty proud of that too.

After a short while I found my lack of knowledge too limiting & the help too unhelpful (it explained things like you should already know it). The town I was in hadn't even heard of the internet yet & I couldn't afford books so I more or less shelved the programming until about 4 or 5 months ago when I first discovered Delphi existed. I got version 7 and haven't stopped since then.

Wow, wasn't expecting this to be that long. If you've made it this far you have my sympathy.

I was born in Queensland but moved to Perth in Oct last year. My shoe size is 12, my slipper size isn't. I prefer turn-based strategy games (because I can eat & play, or just go do something halfway through a game and not worry about saving it or dying), so Age of Wonders is awesome for more than just the Delphi connection. The most common mistakes I make in pascal are typing 'endl' instead of 'end;' and 'being' instead of 'begin'. It's phenominal the amount of times I do that, I would say at least 60-70% of the time.

That'll do I think.

0x00000017
09-08-2003, 07:16 PM
er..in delphi, its C$0000017 right? but in c++ the C is replaced with a 0 and the $ is replaced with an x, please correct me if i'm wrong

tux
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
no in delphi its just $ :P

0x00000017
09-08-2003, 10:02 PM
oh :D , i'll remember that :D :wink:

FlyingFish
20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
mh, just saw this thread. I'm new here so I think I should tell you some things about me.

I'm a 16 years old guy from hannover, germany. I'm programming for, .... 4 or 5 years I think, don't really know. 1 and a half year ago I started game programming, my first one you can download at my website www.nonsensgamez.de (sorry, only German at the moment, English version will be available in some weeks). At the moment I'm working on the third game for Nonsensgamez and a 3d-strategy game. But I'm doing this nearly alone, so it will take a lot of time to finish that project.

I like programming of course, playing games, watching tv and so on. And I hate school!

my favourite drink.. not easy to say.. it's sometimes beer, sometimes vodka-cola, sometimes just water, that changes with the situation.

my shoe size is 42, don't know wats that in english size.

yeah, that's it for now. I think you know the most important things about me now.

BlueCat
20-08-2003, 05:47 PM
my shoe size is 42

42 is the answer to all questions.
But what is the question to all answers?

Hmmmmm.... :scratch: What is your shoe size? :wink:

FlyingFish
21-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Hm, :D ok sounds crazy in British size..
It should be 10 or so.

FlyingFish
21-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Oh :shock: Well I didn't see this relation, that's not wanted..
but funny :)
You see: 42 is the ultimative answer, even to the question of my shoe size :wink:

madscientist2064
24-10-2003, 05:30 PM
My name is Robert Reed, and I live in St. Louis. I am 21 years old, and currently attend University of Missouri - St. Louis, where I am switching my major from Comp Sci to Engineering. I like computers. Politically, I lean towards libertarian socialism. I am also a huge reader, with a private book collection worth at least 10 Grand. I like 1970s soul music (and also Squaresoft soundtracks). I am an African American (any more on this board?). I am in the process of designing a shooting game. In November, I shall have a level demo out. Being that I am a libertarian socialist, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Linux is my OS of choice. My games will be released for both Windows and Linux. I am also a space enthusiast, which is why I am into engineering (well that, and the fact that the computer industry is in depression). I would like to mine asteroids, and build an asteroidal colony. With that, I am interested in sustainable food production such as hydroponics and aquaponics, as well as sustainable waste management, water desalination, and ending the fossil fuel era. I like to watch the Discovery Channels, The Learning Channel, National Geographic, The History Channel, TechTV, and yes, The Weather Channel. I also have interests in political and economic systems. I used to program in VB until I discovered Delphi. I also program in C and C++.

The game I play the most is Enemy Territory. I am freaking addicted to that game. If you see the handles "Shaka Zulu" or "Heru Shemsu" in blue letters, then that is me. I am also addicted to RPGs such as the Final Fantasy series.

Lord_ZealoN
04-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Hi

My name is Giuseppe Luigi. I'm from Murcia (Spain). I'm 21 years old (in December). I likes dogs, I hate Visual Basic, my shoe size is 45 (spain) and my favourite drink is......umm.........J&B XDDDD

See you later

Yin
02-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Anton Nilsson, 18 years old and from Sweden. I use DelphiX to make games, and I am also a pixel-artist.
I know enough programming to make a game, but I think I have lots to learn still.
I like insane indie visual kei music, and I dislike evil. I have no idea what my shoesize is though.

Mrwb
02-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Just realized I never introduced myself! :O
Well, here it goes...
My name is Christer Vasseng, I'm 18 years old, (19 soon though ;)) and I live in Stavanger, Norway. Currently, I'm a senior at upper high school, an will be graduating in three months. :) After that, I'm off to take a bachelor degree in game and multimedia programming if I'm accepted.
Been programming for about 4-5 years, started out in Java. I discovered Delphi three years ago, and have stuck with that since. (Im still a novice though, I learn new things everyday) Last year, I graduated from a technical school with the title "Electronics technican", there I learned C, some assembly (almost nothing, been studying on my own though) and Visual Basic. Im quite new to 3d programming, currently, I'm in the process of learning OpenGL which I've been doing for 3-4 months. Im also partly active on the demoscene, I'm a part of a local demo group. (haven't released anything yet though ;)) I could write a lot more, but I guess the post is long enough allready ;)

Canderel
21-04-2004, 02:25 PM
My name is Reenen Laurie, and I am from South Africa. I am 24 years old, and doing programming in the mining industry (gold mining at present). (Male... :?: how many Females are around these parts :?: :shock: :shock: :shock: (my gf knocking me at the back of the head... (see my eyes pop out?))) (notice that I close all parenthesis I open ... 8) )

I love games, and I am looking to get some experience in programming the different API's (a daunting task, I might add).

My life long dream would be to be developing games, but I don't know if there is much of a future in South Africa for that. Maybe when I'm grown up... errrhhh... that'd be when I'm 40 I guess. :)

cairnswm
22-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi Reenan

Nice to see another Delphi Game Developer from South Africa - there do not seem to be many of us around :)

Where in SA are you?

Cheers

Child Of Bodom
11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
:twisted: hey, I'm Tony, I'm currently representing delinquentstudios.com going to gaming and programming sites in search of people that would like to be involved in the production of our first game. If you're interested by this check out my post in Off Topic Delinquentstudios.com Game Design.

Paizo
13-06-2004, 05:02 PM
hi all :)

I'm Francesco from italy, I'm 24 years old. i'm study information technology and I like to programming in C or delphi for fun. Currently i'm trying to use delphiX for make a card game (mutant chronicles-doomtrooper)

hannes
18-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi all!

I'm Johannes from Germany, a 21 years old student of English and IT (Teaching).

In my free time I'm designing websites and I've recently returned to Delphi programming.

At the moment I'm working on a little Worms Clone ( http://www.siedla-design.de/worms.rar )
And a "Building Simulation" ( http://www.siedla-design.de/bauspiel.zip )
Both with DelphiX.

xGTx
18-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Hello, im Brandon, and im an alcoholic.... Hey wait this isnt rehab!

J/k, bad joke :P

Im Brandon, im currently 17 years old... Started coding when I was 11. I race motorcycles and thats the one real thing i love to do. But as i live in a city, its more of a weekend thing, so when im not riding im playing games or programming :P. Currently working on GTRPG. Its going well. Im fluent with: PHP, Java, C, C++, Delphi, ASSEMBLY(z80, and x86) Ummmmm I like ice cream.

I made an operating system for the TI-83+ graphing calculater in pure ASM. It's fast and graphical.

BenBE
12-11-2004, 10:58 PM
A chance for us to get to know each other. Who are you, where are you, how old are you, what do you like/dislike, what's your shoe size, favourite drink, whatever :wink:

Who: German pupil trying to do his A-Levels
Where: Germany, Saxony, Chemnitz\Stollberg
Like: Computers, Programming, nebs
Dislike: School, Parents (sometimes), n00bs
Shoes: 42 (German Size)
Drink: Coca Cola
Whatever: ???

jasonf
11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Didn't see this here, Been on here a couple of weeks.

I'm Jason Farmer, a full time software engineer in a large IT company in the UK (who I won't name), Generally writing VB.net amongst other languages (not games though) during the day... But at night time, I put my C++ or Pascal hat on...
and fight crime... well, Write games anyway.

Done some work with the Torque engine, which is nice but the game I was developing for that needs a lot of work.. It will be finished!!!

So I'm back to Pascal, writing an update to my old DelphiX Guns game, which I wrote Years ago. This new version has been stalled once, the dreaded feature creep took hold and it seemed like I'd never finish it. Got some more energy for it now though so I'm hoping I'll finish it soon... Before the winters end anyway, 'cos then the weather will be better and I'll be out on my bike.

technomage
12-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I didn't see this either.,

I'm Dean, 32, wife , kids, boring job etc.. :wink:

Been programming in Delphi since well forever. I started with Delphi 1 back at Uni and that was it after that.

I spend my days writing T-SQL and C#, with a bit of Delphi thrown in. Evenings I work with my partners in crime (jasonf) on various projects, and with savage on the JEDI-SDL stuff.

It's great to see you all here and seeing that the new site is going so well (nice work WILL and savage :D )

maverick
12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi there!

David Brun?Ö¬°ek, almost 14, no wifes, no kids, no boring job... :)
I mean - nothing! =]

At the moment, I'm a member of BojZGames (http://www.bojzgames.net) group as a GFX designer.

I'm a newbi-programmer. <--- That's a popular statement, ha? :D
I'm using the Borland's Delphi.

Currently I am writing a Breakout 4D (3d breakout clone).

That is. =]

Huehnerschaender
12-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi there,

I'm Dirk from germany.
32 years old, 2 kids (one is only 4 weeks old).

I'm using Delphi since Delphi 2.0 came out, don't really know how many years went over since then. Before that I have studied systems analysis and got my diploma.
Nowadays I'm working for the biggest telecommunication company in germany (started there in 1999).
At work I develop utilities and network-systems regarding to voice phone applications and SMS/MMS for fixed network.

At the moment I spend my freetime with my childs, my girlfriend and with the dogfight compo (and I will win :lol: )

So far from me...

Greetings,
Dirk

{MSX}
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow another dad :)
i'm surprised about ages of people here.. it's higher than i would have said
:idea:

Huehnerschaender
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Wow another dad :)
i'm surprised about ages of people here.. it's higher than i would have said
:idea:

Do I count as 2 dads, because of 2 kids? :lol:

Maybe the "granddads" can learn something from the younger ones... that's why I am here *hehe*

Or maybe vice versa of course...

Incubii
14-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey im incubii, im 23 i work for a large trading company as the systems administrator.

Ive worked with perl and pascal for years. Use perl mainly for whacking UI's onto CLI tools. Its so boring trying to remember switches?!

Stumbled across Quake II Delphi and GLScene and noticed others with likewise goals and ambitions. So i started converting and modifying existing C tutorials out there to Pascal/Delphi for others to enjoy :).

WILL found me on the site and has asked me to write for this site, and id love the oppurtunity, specially if people appreciate what im doing :).

So thats me...

Traveler
14-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Welcome 2 all!

K4Z
25-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi, my name's Kierren. I'm 19 and live in Australia, Queensland. I've been programming forever, the first language I started with would of been python.
I'm currently studying 2 Java programming courses, and next semester C, though I love Delphi(Kylix) and pascal. I do just about everything on a computer,
Programming: delphi,pascal,python,java,c,c++,asm.
Graphics: 2d paintshop, photoshop, flash - 3d lightwave, milkshape.
Websites: html,php,cgi,asp,javascript.
and just about everything else you can do with a computer.

When i'm not on a computer i'm mostly drawing, writing story scripts, playing with lego :P , and being an Australian - getting tanked :lol: .

My (main) current projects i'm working on are:
A hude flash animation, mostly in 3d.
A scripting engine for delphi.
A win32 compiler, with my own simple language. (in pascal)
and A multiplayer RPG (yes we've all been sucked into making an rpg at some point, I originally started it over 5 years ago in python, then remade in java, then c, and now it's been in delphi for 3 years, slowly adding to it bit by bit to create the perferct RPG ever mwhahaha. Well at least the main engine is 60% complete)
Well that's me...

Traveler
25-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Good to see a fellow Lightwaver :)

A hude flash animation, mostly in 3d
Sounds interesting, can we see some of it ?

Welcome aboard!

K4Z
25-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't have much on this computer but I've just started this model an hour ago. Hope it's ok to it post in this thread.

I've already started an animation loop with it, even though its nowhere near complete. (I can never wait till a model is finished till i start some renderings) I don't know where to host mpegs, so here's some still renders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/donuts/Cam1Frame1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/donuts/Cam1Frame60.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/donuts/Cam2Frame1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/donuts/Cam2Frame60.jpg

Just ignore the lack of feet, head and detail for now :) , btw it's ment to be a robot 8) .
Those big glowing barrels are guns, that transform into arms :) .

JernejL
25-02-2005, 10:45 PM
hi, i am Jernej L. also know as "Delfi"

i run gta modding tools site called gtatools.com

when i don't make editors from other games i use knowledge
from editing other games to make my own game called Top Down City
which is a clone of top-down arcade gta game, see more about it here:
http://www.pgd.netstarweb.com/viewtopic.php?p=11718

here is a small screenshoot:
http://www.gtatools.com/temp/realcubeintdc.jpg

JSoftware
25-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Hello my name is Jeppe Johansen

i'm a 17 year old student from denmark, i usually go under the nicknames: Alfen_Rasp, JSoftware, Alfen_Rasp-Real(my irc disconnects from freenode pretty often..) and svend_Svin

i like to program alot of halfdone and often useless programs in delphi featuring opengl and openal. i like spamming the irc channel with my weirdo comments, statements and opinions which are most likely false or outa place

i've been here a pair of weeks.. just felt like spamming a little more.. :D

Regards Jeppe

marmin
27-03-2005, 02:57 AM
:D

marmin
04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
But now a real intro:
Iam Marcel, approx. 30 ys old.

Studied at conservatory, Electronic Music and Composition.

Started with the Beloved MSX system and programmed BASIC games when I was VERY young (MSX rules).

Picked up programming with Delphi 5 in 1999

Was very bad at it, so I switched to MSX Z-80 assember language.
Fun to program directly to the CPU, nothing can beat that imho :) :)

Now I'm developing some games in DirectX 8, with Lazarus and Free Pascal. Maybe I'll join a Team someday, but right now I will gain experience in DirectX and later maybe OpenGL.

Best regards,

Marmin.

greent
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
my name is igor, i was born 26 years ago and live here in serbia (formerly known as yugoslavia :-) in city of novi sad.
anyway, unlike most of you guys, i'm not programmer, even though i'm familiar with c/c++/php programming languages, i'm freelance modeler, having with my friends digital development and art company mindnever.org.
i'm spending time modelling in lightwave3d and wings3d (started this back in 1996 on best computer ever - amiga :-), having beautyfull time with my girlfriend, drinking beer with my friends and listening to (nu)metal/hc music, mostly korn, mudvayne, slipknot, soulfly, fear factory and so on :-).
admiring heavenly to h.r. giger!

HopeDagger
16-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey there, my name is Steve, and I be your not-so-typical hobbyist game developer. I've been at it for 7 years now, and chances are I'll be at it for many many more. :)

Pascal is pretty much my strongest language, and I'm an avid Delphi-user. I'm 18 years old and will be attending Seneca College this year for Computer Programming and Analysis. I'm also the co-owner over at onGameDev (http://www.ongamedev.com/).

Go PGD! :)

Traveler
16-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Welcome HopeDagger!

MikeS
16-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Welcome HopeDagger!!

:D

madcrow
05-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey every1. My name is Mike and I'm interested in learning games programing in Freepascal. I'm working my way throgh Tao Yue's excellet beginner's Pascal tutorial and will soon be doing actual text based coding...

Of course, I'm not planning on stopping there, I'm planning on learning SDL and using Jedi-SDL to write some crossplatform space shooters or something and maybe when there's a drop-in 3D engine available I'll try some of that.

My main interests are gaming, movies and anime, so expect some anime-styled games from me some day.

WILL
05-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Welcome to PGD madcrow. I'm sure you'll find Free Pascal and JEDI-SDL to be a powerful combination.

I have found that starting with the classics is usually best when starting out. Your first few projects won't be huge mega hits making you the next Blizzard, but you do learn some very prime and foundational stuff from them. Eventually you'll get to mastery and maybe after, the mega hit. ;)

MystikShadows
18-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

My name Stephane Richard (2 things to notice, they're both first names, and they're both french) so don't be fooled by then name, I AM french ;-).

I've been programming since 1975 when I first picked up my first computer books and started exploring what that was all about (A TV with way too many buttons I thought, when you're 7...sheesh...lol).

I've pretty much programmed in Pascal since I first saw it a few years after I started computers. I've also done most BASIC dialects C/C++, Ada, Modula, Smalltalk, Fortran, COBOL, Assembler (for the 6502 processor), as well as most database systems DBase, FoxPro, Paradox, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, Ingres, DB2, 1+1=3 Integrated, and a couple others I can't think off the top of my head. I've never been into high game development as you can see from my background, but I have been developing all kinds of things since then. I've done a few text based games in my past and I'm working on 1 now, a highly advanced ASCII based Startrek like game, but much more evolved. And I am planning a 3d Game project (not exactly sure all it will have yet).

As a "i can do that too" project, I'm working on a spreadsheet application greatly inspired by QuattroPro for DOS. ASCII Based and I want it to do atleast everything QuattroPro can :-). As well, I am working on a Professional Quality Music Studio software.

I've always loved programming since the start, that's all I can say I do it at home, and I am a software developer by profession.

Thanks for your time,

Traveler
18-09-2005, 02:16 PM
That sure is a very impressive resume!

Smotsholle
28-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I allready posted here a couple of times and I forgot to introduce myself, so here goes:

The name is Willem. My nick is Smotsholle (hard to translate, but roughly it means misshapen head :P). I am 24 years "young" at the moment ;)

I'm from the Netherlands, I'm frisian (that's the provence at the northwest edge of our country).

I started out my programming when I started IT school. We started out with Delphi there. That's the only programming language which really appealed to me. We went on to Java and C++ later on, and all sorts of languages. Delphi clung to me because the help is the most elaborate you'll ever find. Debugging is better than any other programming language, and you'll find the best plugins on delphi (of course there are exceptions).
I allways wanted to make my own game GBA style on the PC, and via another forum (braingames) I found they made the type of games which I wanted to make all along. This way I stumbled on JEDI-SDL and via a google search I found this forum.

My programming style is mostly coding and writing algorithms. Graphics are my weak point.
My greatest weakness is being happy when a piece of code works. This often results in sloppy coding :P

Anyways... Most of my time is spent on playing guitar and leading children's activities. Strange as it may sound... If I find the time I'd rather put the PC aside and do something else.

WILL
02-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Welcome to PGD! :D I'll never get tired of saying that.

I see you've become an active member right out of the gates. Thats excellent! I wish there were more members coming like you. 8)

I hope you enjoy this community. We are all very proud of it.

fauvem
22-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Kia Ora!

As far as introductions go, here is my generic one:

I'm a full time student living in Aotearoa who is often dubbed a monster by my past & quietness, a saint by my dedication & loyalty, Insane by my actions & the affect caffine has on me & honest by not denying the other 3.

cairnswm
22-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Welcome to PGD.

Where is Aotearoa?

WILL
22-08-2006, 06:14 AM
New Zealand! I'm Google-nosey. :P

Welcome to PGD! I hope you have fun here, or at least learn something. There is much going on here daily so don't be shy and feel free to strike up a geeky or cool game related conversation. ;)

fauvem
24-08-2006, 12:01 AM
New Zealand! I'm Google-nosey.
At least your correct, last time someone used google to find out they accused of lying & started an argument about dungeon seige.

WILL
24-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Dungeon Seige is much more violent than I remember it. :lol:

marmin
24-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Welkom op 't forum !

(Dutch inside talk) :D

NecroDOME
26-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I never introduced myself... so here it goes:

Still a student in computer science.
I learned pascal programming about 7 years ago at school.... so the second year we learned Delphi.... well... to be exact that was a HELL... I didn't understand anything of it, so I went back to the goo' old Turbo Pascal within dos...

After a while I realized everything was windows, so I started to pickup Delphi. By the time I learned to use Delphi, we switched to C++ (DOS again), after a half year we made again a switch from dos to windows: C++ Builder.... It was a lot easier cause by now I knew the IDE of Borland.

The only thing I was doing was program games.... I made some very stupid ASCII games including my first 3D engine (Necro3D ASCII :P ), a very slooooooow ray tracing engine.

I also got my hands on a copy of DIV Games studio. A simple to use program language to program games. Looks like an OS on itself, but less function.

So me and MadWoody have build a few games from almost the first day we knew each other:
- Pong with network support (delphi 5), crappy but it worked.
- Boter, kaas en eieren (aka Tic Tac Toe, C++ DOS) had some nice visual ASCII effects
- Fire engine (only my work) simulates a ASCII fire
- NecroTANK (C++ Builder 4) icludes network also, worms clone
- Revenge of the Vegetables (C++ Builder 4) Platform game
- Insanity (Delphi 7 + UnDelphiX) First D3D game
These were all school projects. So next we started to build off our own engine. And we me made NecroSPACE 2 as game.
After realizing it was DirectX 7, we wanted to port the engine to DX9. But we started to make a whole new, faster engine (cause the first one was almost crap).
With the new engine we made .S.C.A.G. (and a pong game to test PascalScript)

So that was basically it...

Greetingzz Michiel (NecroDOME)

Damn I love Firefox 2.0 spell check :P [/quote]

jasonf
26-10-2006, 04:19 PM

I'm a full time professional Analyst Programmer. who by day writes .net stuff for a large company. But by night, it's a different story. ;)

I've been coding for as long as I can remember, in all manner of languages.
I started on a ZX Spectrum 128, learnt Speccy Basic.. soon found it to be underpowered so I taught myself Z80 Assembler.
After that, I did a college course in C and started to write DOS games.. I felt a little annoyed by the amount of control C took away after having to control every aspect of the machine in Z80.
Things took a little turn for the worst when I started learning Database languages.. although I did try to write a game in Foxpro, it never really took off.
VB5 and VB6 came along, I started writing games in those.. Never wrote a game in .net though.. It's a business language.

Then I discovered DELPHI!!! (cue Angelic AAAhhhhhh ) Actually, Technomage introduced me to it. Then after a few failed attempts at getting something written in Delphi, I decided to do some DelphiX tutorials and started the Cerebral Bicycle Company.

Later I began writing my own Game Engine foundation classes for a 2D platform game which got WHAAAAY Too complicated too soon, but left me with a fairly comprehensive set of classes.. which I left on my hard disk for the next 4 years getting code rot.

I did some C++ with the Torque engine, learned a lot and attempted another couple of grossly over specced projects and nearly gave up on the whole shebang.

Then Borland released TurboExplorer which rekindled my spirits, I resurrected the CBCFoundation code and began again on a game which I WILL FINISH!!!!!

I consider myself a good all rounder, I'm a fairly good coder, OK at graphics and dabble in music.

There.. That's the quick & Ugly story.. there is more, but this thread is long enough and I've come close to saying "And I remember when all this was fields" :D

Legolas
26-10-2006, 07:24 PM
*Ouch* Never introduced myself too... Well...

I started on a ZX Spectrum+ (yeah! commodore sucks!) several years ago. My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:
After a bunch of years I discovered Delphi and delphix (yeah! vb/vc sucks!) and I started to make some very simple games: an Arkanoid clone, a pacman clone with Homer Simpson (pacman), donuts (pills), Duff beer (special pills) and Monty Burns (ghosts) :lol:
My last work with delphix was a 2D Tank battle (unfinished, but who knows...).

Sadly my work is not PC related at all... I'm working on accountancy in a little factory that produces marble slabs and, when I find some spare time, I'm trying to terminate my degree in Economics (I know, I'm a bit old, but I have started late...).
I waste my spare time teaching php to a couple of friends of mine and playing the bass.

What I like: sleeping
What I don't like at all: fishes

JernejL
26-10-2006, 08:35 PM
My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:

lol, the whole concept of that sounds hilarious :lol:

NecroDOME
26-10-2006, 09:14 PM
The guys from Introversion Software created a "Global Thermonuclear War" game recently:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/

Legolas
26-10-2006, 10:15 PM
My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:

lol, the whole concept of that sounds hilarious :lol:

I was inspired by WarGames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames) :mrgreen:

Well, indeed the graphics was very similar to the movie's one and the gameplay was minimalist (read: boring)...
1: select your team (USA or URSS)
2: select a town where is your headquarter
3: fire a missile against an enemy town
4: if you have destroyed the enemy headquarter, then you win, else wait for a counter attack

...and so on :doh:

Traveler
27-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Nice to read your backgrounds :)

Superb avatar btw, NecroDome :D

NecroDOME
27-10-2006, 08:03 AM
yeah, thats me, a bit drunk in a pub....

jdarling
27-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm another guilty party of never introducing myself, so here goes:

Profession: BSA (Business Systems Analyst)

I started out with a TRS80 and a Z80 micro with a hex programming pad. Later upgraded through th C64 age and the x86 worlds.

Went to school to become a digital engineer, just to find that once I completed the first two years of real schooling (not that first two that you take what they tell you to) that no one used component level and below design (damn).

Started software development in machine code on the Z80 (see above) and basic (or was it qbasic) on the TRS80 (loved that machine). First game was a space invaders clone on the TRS80.

In the mid-80s ran a local BBS called Taz Online witch ran on custom (pascal) BBS Software and had the idea of presenting a world to the users before it was truely popular. Basically to check your fido-mail you went to the post office (3 north, 2 west from login), you were more then just an account it was a game world wraped around common (at that time) tasks.

Started with Delphi in `94 as a Beta tester (oh the good old days). Worked with Delphi all the way to v7 when I decided that Borland and their dev team were out of their minds. So now I back FPC and Lazarus.

Started Eon Clash in `97 with a common goal to develop an online game. Well that part hasn't happend, but we have put out LOTS of components and applications over the years.

Noteable items: ECXML Parser, ECXML Browser Lite, actually tons of comps that EC has put out, Core member of Project Indy, many other projects and activities.

Fun fact: My wife and I used to own a photography company, Darling Photography, we don't own it any more as when we moved back to Missouri we found it illegal for her to do hair and makeup on shoot locations (that sucked). We still have a studio in our home and do pictures for family, friends, and our best clients.

I could go on for a few pages, but it would just be more and more of the same. I'm a driven person and I've worked all over the US, worked for many comanies, won many awards.

Oh yeah, currently I work for a company called VML. We are an online marketing firm that has clients such as MicroSoft, Burger King, Leap Frog, and many more. Held as one of the best Digital Relam Marketing firms and a top 50 company to work for in the US. I must say that I love my job, the hours can be rough at times, but most of the time its the best job in the world.

fire.tiger
31-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi, I'm 20 years old,and I'm from Czech Republic, working as a programmer under delphi 2005 and Oracle.I've been programming since 13..in my free time I work on my personal projects.I like body building and martial arts,
however, I almost have no free time...
I love computer graphics, and I also have worked in Maya,3d studio max and XSI...I also have done own 3d animation editor connected to POV-Ray renderer.
And my favorite drink ? :) Water.

savage
31-10-2006, 09:01 AM
What sort of martial arts are you into?

fire.tiger
31-10-2006, 09:04 AM
What sort of martial arts are you into?
muay thai . But I don't have time...so I do bodybuilding for fun.
and you?

savage
31-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I used to do Karate ( San Chi Kai ) in Oz, when I was about 15, and about 2 years ago I did Gracie ( Brazilian Jui Jitsu - http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/anaconda.html ), but I kept getting my ribs cracked during training, so I've had to give up for now. I only weigh 65kg, so when I was grappling guys who weigh 80-100Kgs and they had me pinned down, usually my ribs is what gave way :(.

I'm hoping to go back one day, as it was the most exhaustive training I have ever done. Really great work-out.

fire.tiger
31-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I know...Brazilian Jui Jitsu , I never did it, but know it, my friend do this..
and really interesting :) So keep training if you can.It is important to do also something else than only programming.:)
I gives 3 or 4 hours per week for training, and it's enough.
I had to stop training,half a year ago, because of work (I'm full time
programmer) but I start again with training 8)

savage
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Now I go for a half hour run every morning, followed by 250 crunchies( sets of 50 ), and 100 pushups ( 40, 30, 30 ). On Fridays I do indoor climbing/bouldering with my son and on Saturdays, I swim and Sundays I try and run for an hour. I have been trying to train for a half-marathon with the aim of one day doing an Ironman or maybe joining cairnswm in the Comrades a few years down the line. It's good to get away from the keyboard, also give the mind an opportunity to solve problems :).

fire.tiger
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
yes exactly, that's the reason why I train-to get out of the keyboard for couple of hours per week.So, keep training:) 8)

pladams9
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Hello! I just signed up last night, and so here I am introducing myself! I hail from Sunny USA, and have dabbled in programming on and off for several years. I don't actually know any Pascal at the moment, but plan to learn.

It's interesting that martial arts and bouldering came into the topic just above me, because I am interested in both. I take Tae Kwon Do classes, and I love indoor bouldering, though I don't get to do much of it.

Sort of a noob question to start me off: Do you guys frown upon newcomers trying to recruit for a project? I'm sort of the cliche, "I've got a great idea, but need help," kind of person. :D

JSoftware
02-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Sort of a noob question to start me off: Do you guys frown upon newcomers trying to recruit for a project? I'm sort of the cliche, "I've got a great idea, but need help," kind of person. :D

Welcome to PGD!

This is an interesting question as we don't really have much of such requests here. For myself I would say that depends entirely on the idea, the complexity of the game and amount of your own contribution to the project

pladams9
02-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Yes, generally this kind of request involves one paragraph describing a game that would take years to make. Those people get shot down pretty quick.

I like to think that in my case it would be different. I have carefully thought out much of this project's basics, and have written down a 2 and a half page description of the game play gimmicks (meaning, what makes it different from other games).

It is inspired by the old SNES RPGs. I know that it could take a long time to make the entire thing, but you see, it's not the entire game that I would need help with. Once the game engine is pretty well underway, I could keep going for a very long time. However, I generally lose momentum trying to get the basics of a game running smoothly. No extremely complicated programming is going to need to be done, I believe. It is simply that first hump that I need help getting over, and then my own contributions of level design, writing, testing, and adjusting could begin.

I don't know if I'm driving my case into the ground or not, but I would just like to say that I would be as involved as possible. I plan to begin learning as much Pascal as possible so that I can help eliminate bugs, make adjustments, and eventually start adding the various features that would be needed. I just don't want to see another one of my ideas go to waste, when IMO it is just out of MY reach.

Huehnerschaender
02-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi and welcome pladams9.

Concerning your project, I would like to point you in the direction of http://www.afterwarp.net

You will find the directx framework asphyre there, which is the best and fastest framework I know when it comes to 2D game programming. The community over there is very active and many many people made demos on how to create RPG engines like those old NES-style RPGs.

So just take a look there and see if you find something useful. The community there is partially part of this community, so you don't get divorced from here. This community is for pascal game development in common with all kind of frameworks and on afterwarp.net you will find the community for a special framework which (in my opinion) fits exactly to your needs.

So far,
Dirk

3_of_8
02-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Alright, I'm 3_of_8, real name... wait a second... there it is: Manuel Eberl. I'm 16 years old and, you might already have thought so, male.

I live in Dingolfing, small 18000 inhabitants town down in Bavaria, Germany. I'm Top 25 Poster in the biggest German Delphi forum, DelphiPRAXiS, and I'd carefully call myself an "advancer", so I'm no noob anymore. (At least not in many categories)

I'm kinda good at school and, again said carefully, think my English is... not bad. Additionally to school I'm studying computer science at the FernUniversit?§t Hagen (some kind of university which send the material to you). Therefore my knowledge of math is slightly higher than average and also computer science in theory is one thing I know a little about.

I don't try to get better in a specific category, I just try what I like to do. I had some easier projects such as small 2D-games, a very, very simple script parser (one of my very first projects, I learned much with that) and, something which is a little more difficult, a program which can convert text to short sinus tones and output them as WAVs. Well, not that hard, but I also implemented a FFT along with a DFT to decode the WAV-File to text again, and it worked even when being sent through 3 speakers and microphones and transferred with Skype one after another. This requires knowledge of Divide-And-Conquer, matrices, vectors, complex numbers and much coffee.

Anyway, I'd call this project (MechaChess, PGD-entry in progress) the most... challenging one. I still don't know how to do many of these things, such as terrain texture blending for the surfaces, physics, model loading and, the most difficult of all, AI. Writing a mech AI is hard. Writing a chess AI is very hard. Writing good ones of each is extremely hard. Writing both is insane.

However, if it will ever be finished, it will KICK ASS.

EDIT: Alright, I'm a noob in OpenGL. I can write Delphi, Java, PHP, JavaScript. I can also do HTML, XHTML and LaTeX. And of "real" languages I can speak German as native language and English. I'm trying to learn some Swedish, too.

I love watching Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis and other science fiction series and I do Ju Jutsu, some kind of martial art.

Bijo
31-05-2007, 01:08 PM
23 years old. From Netherlands. I'm actually more into the direction of videogame music and filmmusic, though I'm studying Music Production (which I've been hating for some time). Music has been generally becoming less and less interesting to me, but I still have a place for it.

Main artistic interests are composing and playing music (guitar / piano), other big interests are philosophy and language, and for the rest some big interests are (military) history, warfare (strategy and tactics), debating, politics, spirituality, etc.

Started programming when I was about 12 I think. First language was Pascal with Turbo Pascal, but never really kept going at it steadily. I started and stopped learning programming every now and then so I never really got good at it but I'm usually familiar with language syntaxes and basic procedural programming, heh, though even that troubles me sometimes). (Had been switching a lot between languages (Pascal (and Delphi), C, C++, Java, C#, Python, Perl, Ruby, Boo.)

If I had kept going at it from then on perhaps I would've been a lot better now, but then I bet I wouldn't be so artistic and such as well, heh :)

I wish I had more time to program, so whenever I have time I have a go at it, but I've been progressing only slowly. Add to that what I've been doing all these years didn't REALLY require any serious math calculations and such, so it's even harder to learn programming and come up with solutions, even if I used to be good at math.

This year, or next year, I will be joining the army due to my interest in the military. So until that time I hope I'll enjoy this forum with all of you :)

pstudio
31-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Hmm. It seems that I've never introduced myself so I'll better do it now :)

The name is Peter and I'm from the year of 1986 (That means that I'm twenty right now). I started programming when I was 13 and the first program I used was Delphi 3.

I live in Denmark, Hvidovre where I study at DIKU (Datalogisk Institut K??benhavns Universitet = Coputer science Departmen Copenhagen University). I'm only at my first year, but already it's taking a lot of my time.

I'm the type who gets to many good ideas and therefor never realizes more than a few of them :roll:
For me it's always been about computer games. Other kind of developments doesn't interest me a lot.

I supposed I could tell you about Peter the normal person (instead of Peter the programmer), but I'm not :P

See ya.

Zhooibaal
19-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

My name is Jens aka. Zhooibaal. My date of construction is june 22nd 1984. I'm not really a programmer myself, honestly, I suck at it, but I help Necrosoft with concept creation and quality insurance. Which means that I come up with ideas for new games and that I give them a lot of feedback on what they have created so that they can improve it.

I thought that now was a good time to join this community, because it is now that we are going to create a game within 48 hours.

--Zhooibaal

WILL
19-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Jens, welcome to PGD! :)

Huehnerschaender
19-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi Jens :) You can be proud, because I welcome you with my thousandths post! :)

Welcome to PGD!

Traveler
19-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Welcome to PGD!

(and gratz to you Dirk :))

pjpdev
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi people, I'm Peter-John Pretorius. I'm a young developer from South Africa. My development "label" is PJP Dev...

Brainer
04-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Hello to the community! :D

I hope you'll enjoy your time spent here and contribute with your questions/projects/articles.

Wizard
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes welcome, nice to have you ;D I'm also from SA ;)

paul_nicholls
05-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi all ya ;-)

My name is Paul Nicholls, and I was hatched in 1972 :D

I am a Pascal/Delphi programmer, and I have a lovely wife + 2 daughters (7months old and 3 years old) :)

You may already be aware, but I hail from 'down under' in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia :-)

Live long and optimize ;-)

cheers,
Paul

awilum
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
My name is Sergey. I am 20 years old. I live in Ukraine.
Successfully graduated from Cooperative College of Economics and Law.
Now I study in the National Technical University
Specialty: System Programmer
I am a Delphi programmer, the author of site Pascal Games. And own game studio Rawilum Games (http://rawilumgames.dax.ru/).
I create a site Pascal Games (http://pascalgames.net/) in Ukraine. In order to combine a programmers using Delphi, Freepascal, MidletPascal to create a Pascal Gamedev in Russia and Ukraine ...

I like sport, movies, music all kind.
I have finished 3 games. one is under development.

Wizard
12-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Sergey, welcome to PGD 8) Hope your stay will be productive ;)

pjpdev
12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Welcome Sergey, enjoy your stay man...

Darkhog
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello, I am young person and I like Linux, Penguins, Open source and Blender. I dislike Microsoft, Windows and Bill Gates himself.

NecroDOME
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Young Person. Why do you like linux and why do you dislike Windows?

Darkhog
04-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Because this is cheaper than windows, more useful, simplier and nobody have "intellect-less rights" for it. But we must go back to topic.

pjpdev
04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Another Penguin freak here Darkhog... Welcome

Wizard
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I dislike Microsoft, Windows and Bill Gates himself.???

:o) :o) :o)

Welcome Darkhog :)

lordblue
23-04-2010, 01:30 PM
My name's Scott Brown aka: Lord Blue and I just started learning pascal. I've been a FilePro database programmer since 1997. The reason I am learning pascal now is because I started running a BBS again and would like to code some utilities for it. The BBS software (Renegade) is written in pascal, so I figured I would need to learn it. In my spare time when I'm not working I am either updating something on my BBS or trying to plan my next scuba dive.

Scott....

Mario Donick
20-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I am Mario Donick, living in Rostock, Germany. Currently 28 years old. Here's a short history of my Pascal experiences:

I started programming in 1991 or 1992 with the BASIC dialect used on the East German home computer KC85/3. Later, in 1998 or so, I used the acquired basic knowledge to better understand Turbo Pascal, which was taught in computer classes at school.

We used Turbo Pascal for Windows in these days, but never dived into object oriented Windows programming; we simply used the WinCrt unit to create simple programs. My teacher luckily borrowed me all the TPW manuals, so I could learn it on my own. When I think back, it was really complicated, but I managed to get some decent things running.

Once school was over, I programmed less, and when I did, I used some obscure BASIC-like language called "Profan". It was very easy to create Windows programs with it, but after a while, I abandoned it, experimented with another strange dialect called wxBASIC (because it was capable of creating both Windows and Linux binaries from the same source), then came to Visual Studio 2005 (using BASIC again, not C#), and finally, in 2006, I found FreePascal.

Since then I'm working on my roguelike role playing game, called "LambdaRogue: The Book of Stars" (http://lambdarogue.net) It has grown to a rather mature game, its current version is 1.5.3, but as in many hobby projects, still with some bugs, and as in many roguelike projects, never really finished. The source of that game is a mess, too, and still only procedural, without objects (in 2008 I decided to create a 2.x rewrite of that game, but I never got very far with this, 'cause, well, it works.)

I never programmed for a living, though -- that would destroy the fun for me. In professional life, I'm working as a linguist/communication scientist at a university.

So, that's it -- long story, sorry. ;)

WILL
21-05-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm so glad that this thread is still going. Welcome to PGD Mario and Scott! :)

I know it's said before many times elsewhere on this site and in the old threads, but PGD is a community, like all other communities, that relies heavily on it's vistors and members alike to pitch in and take part. Start conversations, pick others' brains, pick your own brain, post your good stuff and your crap. It's all good here. PGD is and always will be what YOU make of it. And that's the way we like it.

So that said, welcome and I hope to read more of your posts on code, your latest game, your half started entry into the next PGD Annual competition and even all your questions on who-knows-what. :)

DarkBow
21-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Err... didn't know about this thread. :P

Well, my name is Guillem Vicens. I am 34 years old and live in Majorca, Spain. I have 2 Technical Computer Engineering degrees and 1 Superior Computer Engineering degree (not sure about the translation to english, in spanish it is called "Ingenier??a Inform?°tica").

I have been working in non-programming-related jobs in the tourism branch (specifically airlines, airport ground assistance, touroperators and hotels) for quite some years, but now I am working as analyst and programmer on ERPs and other apps for tourism enterprises.

I love to play videogames and hope to be able to work on them professionally in the near future. :)

Mario Donick
21-05-2010, 11:11 AM
@WILL:

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

I stumbled upon this forum, 'cause currently I'm investigating ways of compiling my game (SDL and console, no native MacOS functions used, thus frameworks shouldn't be necessary) on MacOS (compiling works, but linking is a bit tricky). As I don't have a Mac, testing this is a bit complicated ;)

Anyway, looking forward to taking part in this forum!

mikade
07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh. This section DOES exist. ::)

Daygreet. I'm mikade.

I get offended by lurkers and people who don't introduce themselves, so I lurked here for three years and then made a random post in the PGD 2010 thread.

My hobbies include talking to myself, pretending that I'm Irish, talking to myself WHILE pretending that I'm Irish. And games development. And a million other things I won't bother listing.

I have no formal programming experience, but (like most people here it seems) got into programming when I was fairly young. I came here because I like pascal more than the supposedly "real" languages. I like lurking the "Your Projects" section. Currently, I'm working on one or two of my abandoned projects from when I was 16.

NecroDOME
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome!!

Now you can share your "pretending-I'm-Irish-talks-to-yourself" with us :).

What are you working on atm?

Darthman
16-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I think one small wideo with couple of works says more then words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDyHHvDuj8Y

Wizard
16-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Wow Darthman, very impressive! All games made with Pascal?

Darthman
16-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Delphi 5-2007 :D

Traveler
16-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Very nice Darthman! Great idea, too, putting all of your work in a video.

sfhdweb3
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey i am newbie here my name is James how are you all

21o6
10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi, again ! :)

It's been YEARS ! :D Glad my account is still up ! :D

None of you will probably remember me, (hi legolas ! *waves*)
i was a guy asking stupid questions about FPC4NDS and helping out a bit with the code,
for noticing on which processor (ARM7/ARM9) code was running,
but noticed it got changed ... good work guys ! :D (*crys because he's not mentioned anymore* ^^)

So ... i'm back for a bit ... left pretty fast ... because that's what i do when my work is done. :)

I've implemented a pretty fast mandelbrot zoom using dynamic code generation on the NDS
and a basic c64 emulator which ran until the cursor prompted ... and then i dropped it because
i acchieved what i wanted. Yeah, that's my way ... there's no profit from that, i'm just doing stuff for fun. :)

And now i'm back ... looking again for coding pascal on ARM ... but this time, for Android / Archos Generation 8 !

I'll start a thread about this soon because ... i am overwhelmed and don't have a clue ...
and maybe can even contribute some useless stuff about multitouch on resistive touchscreens.

:)
(:

(answers are appreciated, i really need to get into this :)

Edit: How do i turn off graphical smiles ? i hate them, i'm oldschool ! xD

WILL
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Hello and welcome to PGD! :)

Any welcome back 21o6! :)

I do remember you, but it has been a long time.

Please feel free to post about your Android exploits using Pascal. There has been a few new technologies that have popped up that'll allow you to create things for it since. Cooper from RemObjects for example is designed with the Android in mind and then there is good old Free Pascal which is growing in Android native support I believe. Can't remember how well FPC supports Android at this point.

If you want to change your settings for smilies and such, you have to click on the Go Advanced option. You don't like our smilies? :(

21o6
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Hello and welcome to PGD! :)

Any welcome back 21o6! :)

I do remember you, but it has been a long time.

Please feel free to post about your Android exploits using Pascal. There has been a few new technologies that have popped up that'll allow you to create things for it since. Cooper from RemObjects for example is designed with the Android in mind and then there is good old Free Pascal which is growing in Android native support I believe. Can't remember how well FPC supports Android at this point.

If you want to change your settings for smilies and such, you have to click on the Go Advanced option. You don't like our smilies? :(

I still have to learn about Android and FPC, especially if i can apply ARM-assembler ! :)
I've read about it, but i can't really grasp the information that's available.
I'm totally overwhelmed about all the information that can be gathered, tbh ...

I'm still trying to grasp all the information about how to get linux running on the
ARCHOS 43 IT, if i really should buy one, how to use FPC for Android, etc. etc.

At least i got my development-platform ready ...
... 12.1" resistive touchscreen notebook. ^^

I feel a bit like being hit by the Chewbacca defense (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense).
(Fast Forward to 1:00, if you want)

It's way too much and i'm looking into it for over a week already ...
... but i hope i'll make it soon, else i'll post a thread about ...
... What's new?/Where to start/etc. :)

Feels great to be remembered, btw ... thx ! :D
(I recall your name too ! hahahaha ... it's your forum ! :)

Oh and ... i really don't dislike your work ...
I just dislike graphical smileys in general, probably because i've grown up with the ascii ones
and the graphical ones just don't fit my emotions. :)

Okay ... i went to "Go advanced" ... looked through ... didn't find anything ...
... changed settings for the texteditor to enhanced/WYSIWYG...

... and now i get "Disable smilies in text" ...

thx ! :)

Legolas
10-07-2011, 10:27 PM

It's been YEARS ! :D Glad my account is still up ! :D

None of you will probably remember me, (hi legolas ! *waves*)
i was a guy asking stupid questions about FPC4NDS and helping out a bit with the code,
for noticing on which processor (ARM7/ARM9) code was running,
but noticed it got changed ... good work guys ! :D (*crys because he's not mentioned anymore* ^^)

Hello there! Of course I remember you and your clever questions ;)
I had to remove your hack because it generated some errors. I replaced it with a routine that returned the cpu type by checking for some labels in the prt0. IIRC that function is not required anymore (but don't cry: your name is carved in the stone of the svn repository ;D) :)

I've implemented a pretty fast mandelbrot zoom using dynamic code generation on the NDS
and a basic c64 emulator which ran until the cursor prompted ... and then i dropped it because
i acchieved what i wanted. Yeah, that's my way ... there's no profit from that, i'm just doing stuff for fun. :)

That's amazing! Maybe you could try to rebuild with a newer fpc version (in the meanwhile the nds compiler and rtl have made a big jump ahead) or even to release the sources... ::)

Ñuño Martínez
11-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Hello James!

It's been YEARS ! :D Glad my account is still up ! :D Welcome back!

21o6
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Hello there! Of course I remember you and your clever questions ;)
I had to remove your hack because it generated some errors. I replaced it with a routine that returned the cpu type by checking for some labels in the prt0. IIRC that function is not required anymore (but don't cry: your name is carved in the stone of the svn repository ;D) :)

That's amazing! Maybe you could try to rebuild with a newer fpc version (in the meanwhile the nds compiler and rtl have made a big jump ahead) or even to release the sources... ::)

We can talk about the source of the emulator. Tbh, the mandelzoom was quick enough, but highly unprecise. Couldn't zoom in very far,
but didn't want to put the time into raising precision, because first, it wasn't that easy to implement and second ...
... i had to implement it in the code generator too ... no thx. ^^

I'll have to see where my NDS is', though ................. *lol*

Recompiling the source ... well, i hope it still works. xD I barely used the RTL though, so i believe there won't be issues.

Wow, i just tried to check for prt0 (can't remember) ... NDS homebrew scene grew a bit since then ... :D

Btw ... dynamic code generation doesn't seem to be used very often ?
Why ? It's rather easy to implement, once one gets the hang out of it.

code_glitch
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Super thread revival ftw! Can't help ask, since you mention mandlebrots sets etc... Did you leave and work on that, look at the pretty colours and go into coma only to wake up now or was it more normal :D Sorry, I really cant help it...

So back to android speak. Hmm. Quite popular these days isn't it :) I know its not the best place, but anyone have any good tuts for setting up a development environment by any chance?

Funny to think you left before I signed up, and in that time I became a mod :o

21o6
13-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Super thread revival ftw! Can't help ask, since you mention mandlebrots sets etc... Did you leave and work on that, look at the pretty colours and go into coma only to wake up now or was it more normal :D Sorry, I really cant help it...

So back to android speak. Hmm. Quite popular these days isn't it :) I know its not the best place, but anyone have any good tuts for setting up a development environment by any chance?

Funny to think you left before I signed up, and in that time I became a mod :o

Hahahahahaha. :b

To insult my injury even more, i believe my ex-girlfriend has my NDS. Can't find it anywhere. :(

Android seems interesting, but when FPC gives the opportunity to ignore all of Java (or at least most of it),
it would be even better. Don't have a clue about it yet, though ... and no Android-Device yet i could test anything on, anyway.

Wanted to buy me this http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_43it/index.html?country=dk&lang=en,
but amazon says i need to pay via CreditCard first ... and i don't have one and will definitly not buy one, just for this.

Congrats for becoming a mod, btw. :D

code_glitch
13-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Ooh, shiny... I believe on certain spec computers theres an android x86 project; and I've heard from VM rumours although never tried it. The incentive for android would definitely be the speed of baremetal code rather than this Java emulation yadida (I mean, when did anyone code anything intensive in Java. Eg. COD) plus it'd be super nice to get a standardised set of libs that could work on linux, windows, mac and android as well as iOS. ZenGl perhaps?

JSoftware
13-07-2011, 04:33 PM
code_glitch, this example worked last I tried it. It uses the Android 2.something feature NativeActivity where a program can be started without any Java code at all. Needs a correctly configured arm-fpc crosscompiler and Ant

21o6
13-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah it's shiny. ^^ It slices, it dices and isn't there a dosbox for ARM ? ^^

"The incentive for android" ... what do you mean ?
Typo ? "pascal" ?

I know, for Android one has to use Java ... i didn't even know fpc was able to compile for Android before i looked at it again.

Well, native code is a HUGE plus for fpc.
Besides, this also means we can even code in assembler, and on ARM, that's awesome.
Gotta love the instructionset ! :D

Wonders me if they accept fpc-compiled programs for the Market ... but i guess not.

Never heard of ZenGL before i started looking at the forum again. I'm normally using dglOpenGL ... i'll have a look into it.

tyrone
23-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey to you all..
Name is Tyrone Rothwell.. I`m PHP programmer, but I got interesed in pascal and C++, so I end up here :)..
look like a great place to start ( and stay :) )..

anonimnystefy
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
hi guys

my name is Stefan.i am a 14-year-old guy from Serbia.

glad to be a part of the forum!