View Full Version : Do you have a 3DS animation solution?

26-02-2003, 02:52 PM
I've tried Deep Ex, Panda and a number of other things to try to get 3DS meshes & animations to port to .X format. But, I've run into problems with just about everything I've tried. Now, I have been working on directing supporting the 3DS format but it's been slow going for me and another programmer. If somebody's already invented this wheel, I would sure appreciate some pointers.

Thanks mucho.


26-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I have a 3ds-unit which only supports meshes but not the animation. you can find the unit on my website http://www.minfos.de when you click on DirectX below the SelfDXD section.

26-02-2003, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked out your code but it coughed at

pdevice.SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, matrix );
complaining that it was incompatible types: TD3DMatrix and _D3DMATRIX. I guess you're using a different version than me?

I also should have made it clearer that I can view the basic mesh but that the problem is with the use of keyframe information for animation.

27-02-2003, 09:04 AM
which DX units do you use? this unit refers to dx8 and you should only use directxgraphics and d3d8. then it should work.

at the moment I only know that Mike Lischke offers a 3ds unit with full support - but for OpenGL.


maybe you are able to convert it.

and a friend of mine is working on a DX-3DS-unit on its own. his website is


he has a 3ds-unit without keyframe-support but he is working on it.

27-02-2003, 11:41 AM
complaining that it was incompatible types: TD3DMatrix and _D3DMATRIX. I guess you're using a different version than me? This is definetly (different) headers issue.
Have you tried using DirectX SDK utility?
conv3ds -A file.3ds

27-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I have tried conv3ds with limited success: mesh but no animations. The most successful attempts have been with using the plugin for Max, but that also falls apart on certain models.

Mike Lischke's Opener program is the basis for the work I'm currently doing. I've stripped out quite a bit and added the framework for the 'film' and the 'frames'. I've verified some of the data that it strips out of the 3DS files, and I'm currently analyzing it. The other programmer is tackling it from another angle: the lib3ds project on sourcefourge. But, he tells me he's starting to have hard drive problems.

Mike has a section where he tries to build a keyframe scene but it just doesn't work for the models I'm using. So, I'm thinking he's somehow stacking the operations incorrectly. Or, there are more op branches that he has not anticipated.

Thanks to everybody for their replies and insights.