PDA

View Full Version : New user looking for cross-platform Pascal solutions

Ingemar
25-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi! I just found this forum and it looks like a forum for me.

Pascal is my favourite language. Most of my programming has been for MacOS, MacOSX and Windows XP, using Think Pascal (MacOS only) and CodeWarrior (all three platforms).

Now, my old compilers are all discontinued, and my future seems to be with FPC or GPC, since they are cross-platform, and I intend to work with OSX, Windows and Linux in the future. Among other things, I am looking for a good IDE. I know about Lazarus but I didn't like it when I tried it, quite some time ago. Kdevelop seems pretty nice but is only for Linux. Eclipse doesn't have too good Pascal suport, has it?

My specialities are graphics and games. I've been working on a Pascal-based game engine using OpenGL, but of course it takes lots of time to complete. Are there any such efforts, preferrably with cross-platform potential? Are there any people here with cross-platform experience or at least ambitions?

savage
25-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I think you'll find quite a few people here have developed for Windows and at least Linux, but not much else. I have used FPC, Delphi and Kylix and am the current maintainer of JEDI-SDL ( Pascal bindings for SDL which currently support FPC, Delphi, Kylix, FreePascal, GnuPascal and should also support TMT Pascal and have been tested on Win32, Linux, MacOS X ).

I think most developers here realise that the Windows software market is getting saturated and that they need to diversify if they want to get a foothold. Cross-platform development is one option.

Everyone here are Pascal lovers first and formost, so hopefull you have come to right place. So Welcome to our little enclave.

Ingemar
25-05-2006, 09:32 PM
JEDI-SDL is indeed a package that I noted as promising for my interests, and downloaded at first sight. I know I should learn SDL, and with Pascal interfaces it is likely to be so much nicer.

savage
25-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Make sure you download the v1.0 beta as that has all the cross-platform enhancements.

WILL
25-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Indeed, welcome to PGD! :D

I was hoping to see some Mac users come to the site eventually. There are (or at least used to be) a small numbr of Mac users here. At the very least many of the tools that users here use support Mac quite readily. (Both PowerPC and new Intel!)

( Pascal bindings for SDL which currently support FPC, Delphi, Kylix, FreePascal, GnuPascal and should also support TMT Pascal and have been tested on Win32, Linux, MacOS X ).

JEDI-SDL also works under Lazarus quite cleanly.

{MSX}
26-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Are there any such efforts, preferrably with cross-platform potential? Are there any people here with cross-platform experience or at least ambitions?

I've done some cross-platform projects, for example The sheep killer and Space Cadett. They run on linux and windows, and someone told me that they should run on mac too, with very little or no adjustment.
I use JEDI-SDL which i strongly recommend since it's very well done, easy to use and complete.
My projects are open source so you can just look at the sources :P
bye!