PDA

View Full Version : Help with mouse cursor

MariZ
11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Can anyone tell me please where to get fully free mouse cursors for my game ? I just can't find them anywhere :(

WILL
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
It's usually better to just create your own cursor. It's more graphically sound too as the usual system cursor has only a 4 'color' black, white, transparent and inverse mask.

With a little knowlage of whatever graphics library and/or API you are using you can figure out how to hide your ugly system cursor and instead you can use your mouse co-ordinates to draw the sprited cursor onto your scren instead.

EDIT: However if you are making a Windows App (or KDE/Gnome app w/ widgets, etc) then I can see a need for them if you are trying something fancy. In that case, I don't kow off-hand. Try winfiles.com? I remember that site having free .cur custom-made files quite a while ago though...

MariZ
11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, the cursor will be used in the game ;) And i have a small problem - i can't draw very well, i even can't draw simple cursor :( That is why i'm looking for cursors ;)

Robert Kosek
11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
You can get free cursors, animated and not, from http://www.customize.org/. (At the moment it seems to be down for me, but the site won't go away anytime soon)

If you want to use them ingame you'll need to convert them to PNGs or TGAs, but I'm at a loss for how.

MariZ
11-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the link :) I hope, that it will work soon :) Any other links ?

Smotsholle
12-06-2006, 09:16 AM
What kind of game will it be? I don't mind writing some cursors for you as a bitmap. I could use the pixelart practice.

By the way, how are you planning on doing the rest of the game graphics of will your game feature 3d models?

MariZ
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
No, there won't be any 3D models ;) It will be a 2D RPG ;) If you are interested in making those cursors, then PM me ;)

Traveler
12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I (and Smotsholle too, if I read correctly between the lines) can't help but think, why you want someone to make the mousecursor images, when those quite possibly are the least difficult of all images, required for a rpg?

MariZ
12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, the thing is that the rest of the textures/sprites i found. But i can't find cursor that I need for my game ;) And this cursor needs to consist of many images :
1) simple image
2) over smthn image
3) pickup image
4) etc
That is why i'm asking form help with cursor ;)

Smotsholle
13-06-2006, 08:47 AM
For other images I think I can give you a tip passed on to me by the helpful people on this forum:

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.htm

Lots of images for characters and housing there.

On the PM bit, check your inbox.

MariZ
13-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Actually i already got almost all images/sprites from there - only tilesets left ;)

Smotsholle
13-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Then I may have another link for you (he says fearing he states the obvious again):
http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net

Site with a program designed to work with the CLEAN game engine, but it has the ability to export tiles to image format.
It's made by the dutch, so you can't go wrong with that :P