PDA

View Full Version : Skype

WILL
13-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Does anyone use Skype yet? I do and let me tell you it's easily replaced the obsolete and no longer supported NetMeeting(cloned by GnomeMeeting in Linux) program.

It offers as a primary voice calling all over the world from PC to PC for Free. Video is in a 'Beta' stage, but it works just fine, better than crappy MSN does anyway and the quality of both audio and video is amazing. Though it does sorta suck up your bandwidth to do it.

The best part of it, it's just like a normal phone, only in your PC. ThinkGeek.com even offers real phone handsets to hook up to your PC for use with Skype. :P Cool huh?

The best part though is that they struck a deal that give EVERYONE that uses it (which is 100% free already), that we all get 100% Free calls to any landline or mobile phone in Canada or the US until 2007. Got pals in the US or Canada? Well call them for free. It's much much better than a calling card, I'd think. ;)

"Skype is a simple bit of software we want to share with you. It lets you make free calls to your Skype-using friends all over the world. It also lets you make free calls within the US and Canada to mobiles and landlines till the end of the year. International calls to landlines and mobile phones can be made with SkypeOut (as long as you call from within the US and Canada). International calls are not free, but they are pretty cheap."

Robert Kosek
13-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I've considered getting Skype, but I don't really voice-chat or phone people. I prefer written communications and talking in person.

WILL
13-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Well I garuntee it's cheaper than a plane ticket. :lol:

Robert Kosek
13-06-2006, 11:35 PM
I'll second that! Man, I used to live in Montana and the plane tickets there were really costly...

But I also don't know enough people to talk to to warrant it. *shrug*

savage
14-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I have Skype to talk to my folks in Australia, but it keeps locking up my XP laptop. I've had to switch back to using MSN video chat instead, and frankly though it works, the quality is not as good as Skype.

jdarling
14-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Been using Skype for quite some time now. Its quite nice when you have multiple dev's across the world working on one project. The down side is when someone doesn't have a fast enough connection. Then again thats why I use trillian, all the chats in one place. Fast and easy to switch between.

savage
14-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Then again thats why I use trillian, all the chats in one place.

I use Miranda for that.

jdarling
14-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I use Miranda for that.

Miranda has a Skype module?

savage
14-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Miranda has a Skype module?

No for all chats in one place.

fragle
15-06-2006, 12:12 PM
jdarling, i dunno about the capabilites of Trillian plugin, but if it's not stand-alone and just lets keep your contacts in one place, then miranda kind of (last update was in 2004) has a similiar plugin as well ;)

Regarding Skype itself - some of my friends a using it for a few years already, but i'm not a big fan of it. Mainly because of its somewhat big memory footprint.... and i like to type more than talking straight :D Other than that, it performed rather well the few times i used it.

Oh, and if i'm not mistaken, it's written in Delphi ;) .... or was it C++ Builder? :think:

jdarling
15-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I haven't actually gotten around to installing the Skype module for Trillian, so I can't tell you exactly how it integrates the apps together. I just saw it on the page the last time I updated.

Looking at Miranda though, it appears to support more IM protocols then Trillian does at current. Interesting little program, and I may have to take a look at it as well.

Anyone tried building a module for it (Miranda) yet?