PDA

View Full Version : Where to get delphi 2006?

tux
15-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Im looking to get delphi 2006. The last legal copy of delphi i have is 5 student edition so im assuming i need to buy a full license instead of an upgrade? On borland's website the upgrade for professional is £310 and the full license £740. that is way over my price point considering vs2005 standard new license is £219

my question is: is there a secret bit on Borland's site to buy a standard edition of d2006? (no c# c++ nonesense) that normal people can afford? (£250ish)

Traveler
15-06-2006, 08:21 PM
D2006 = expensive.

My hat off if you can find a copy that doesn't cost that much.
'Cheapest' I was able to find costs around $815. Get it while it's still hot (http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=13438927/)

Zenophran
16-06-2006, 11:12 AM
If you're able to, chat to your local Borland person. We were lucky enough to be able to get an upgrade, even though we couldn't prove we had old versions (Delphi 3 and 4). I would think that they wouldn't mind too much upgrading your student edition to a full one for the normal upgrade price.

As far as a "standard edition" Delphi = C++ Builder = Borland Development Studio now. The updates for Delphi are for Borland Development Studio.

The other thing to check if you're looking for it, even if you're an individual (such as me) and not a company, you're still able to get software assurance (or upgrade protection). It's cheaper than the upgrade price. Admittidly it's a lot to pay for up front, but it saves you money in the long run. That being said, I'm not sure what the new DevCo's going to be doing about it.

Z

tux
16-06-2006, 12:09 PM
well i found my d5 cd and it actually has professional written on it (only the box says student).

ill phone them next week to see what they can do :)