PDA

View Full Version : 2006 PGD Annual: Final Results

WILL
06-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Well it's finally done. :)

After 4 months of coding, sweating, swearing, salvating and a whole ton of challenges, we did it. The 2nd PGD Annual for 2006 has completed.

And here are the final scores: CLICK HERE and SCROLL DOWN just past the Sponsors! ('http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/competitions.php?p=details&c=1')

<u>Main Competition</u>

1st Place goes to TANX with 945 points!

2nd Place goes to BLOCKED with 920 points!

3rd Place goes to .S.C.A.G. with 915 points!

<u>Developmental Excellence Awards</u>

Best Graphics goes to TANX just ahead of .S.C.A.G.!

Best Music goes to .S.C.A.G. with TANX only right up behind it!

Most On Time goes to .S.C.A.G. (12 days 1 hr 38 mins) breaking an almost 5-way 'perfect Time Management score' tie with Verne-X (10 days 11 hrs 4 mins), Draconia (8 days 23 hrs 14 mins), TANX (2 days 11 hrs 45 mins) and BLOCKED (2 days 7 hrs 50 mins)! <sup>*</sup>

Most Innovative goes to ActicMacrob with TANX and BLOCKED tied just a fracton behind!

<sup>*</sup> Total time ahead of all the deadlines out of 114 development days.

Some of these judged scores were a bit difficult for our judges to make as there were a lot more quality entries this year than last. And unlike last year's total of 5 judges, we only had 2 this year.

Last year we only got 11 submissions with 10 playable games out of an unknown amount of participants.

This year we have 20 submissions with 16 playable games out of a total of over 40 registered teams! This shows some possitive growth, and we hope that next year will be even better. :D Bigger prizes and more awards to hand out.

So a bug HUGE thanks to all those that participated, got the word around about this competition and inspired us to keep the PGD Annual going and make it a part of this site's tradition in the future years to come.

Also I'd like to thank Borland (http://www.borland.com/) and 3Impact (http://www.3impact.com/) for supporting us for 2 years in a row now, aswell as all our other sponsors Delgine 3D Tools (http://www.delgine.com/), Firelight Studios (http://www.fmod.org/), Lazy Dog Software (http://www.lazydogsoftware.com/), Savage Software Solutions (http://www.savagesoftware.com.au/), Spiral Graphics (http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/) and Winsoft (http://www.winsoft.sk/) who all have provided us with some great prizes to award our winners.

Lastly, but most importantly, on behalf of the entire PGD Annual organizers, the judges and myself, thank you and good job to everyone! :clap:

Huehnerschaender
06-07-2006, 06:29 AM
YEAHH!!!!!

Wow! I don't know what to say!!!!

You made my day!!!

You can't imagine how happy I am! I just jumped up and kissed and hugged my family and they didn't know why, just glazing at me jumping through the house ^^

Thanks to all who spent so much time on the whole compo! Thanks to the judges, thanks to the siteadmins and of course thanks to all the competitors who spured me over the whole developing time.
And of course big congratulations to everyone who won prizes in the final result.
I have to calm down now a bit... have to go to office.

Thanks again!

Dirk :D :D :D :D :D

savage
06-07-2006, 06:42 AM
A Big THANK-YOU to everyone who took part!!

Winners, please ensure that WILL or I have your current address so that we can let the sponsors know where they need to send the prizes.

CONGRATULATIONS again!

cairnswm
06-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Well done to everyone who was involved, from the judges, organsisers to the entrants!

I ended about as well as I expected :) If I'd known about the time management tie breaker I would have skipped some of my bug fix releases :) I was really looking forward to that Mug :) - Any chance of allowing us to buy a PGD entrants mug from somewhere?

I'm really looking forward to next years contest. Please Please Please make sure it happens :)

tux
06-07-2006, 06:47 AM
excellent! now back to finishing the entry... :lol:

Firlefanz
06-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Congratualitions to everyone especially Huehnerschaender! :D

Firle

Traveler
06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
First of all, congratulations to the winners! All three were top entries and the prices are well deserved!

I ended pretty much where I expected. Eric, your comments are very accurate. I was left with a feeling of having been given only an nice appetizer, but with no main course. That pretty much says it all. :D

I'll go through the comments and scores later today, as I'm currently at work and I do not have a whole lot of time.

In the meantime, I already did notice that not all entries have comments and only Eric's comments are available. Also, the scores on the resultpage do not reflect the final results. Is there a particular reason for this?

savage
06-07-2006, 09:45 AM
LATE BREAKING NEWS!

Dave Kerr ( aka aiDave ) and his team, developers of BLOCKED, do not wish their competition entry to be publically distributed via PGD and have asked for their entry to be removed. We will comply with their wishes and they are happy to have their 2nd prize redistributed. WILL will post an update tomorrow.

dmantione
06-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Delphi vs. Free Pascal: 15:1 :shhh:

McCLaw
06-07-2006, 01:45 PM
LATE BREAKING NEWS!

Dave Kerr ( aka aiDave ) and his team, developers of BLOCKED, do not wish their competition entry to be publically distributed via PGD and have asked for their entry to be removed. We will comply with their wishes and they are happy to have their 2nd prize redistributed. WILL will post an update tomorrow.

Cool, :D

Thanks Dave, that meens Our team is now tenth in stead of eleventh :twisted: :D :D

jdarling
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Congrats to all the winners, and I hope that the IGF submission makes people realize that Pascal is still alive and is good for games :)

Huehnerschaender
06-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Much work to do before my entry is worth to be shown at IGF... :?

Robert Kosek
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Congradulations everyone!

Especially you Dirk, you did an awesome job! I can't wait to see your improvements to Tanx! :D

idee_fixe
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Second Place! I do wish it were first - I thought Blocked had great potential for the IGF, but I can't be disappointed with second. The race for the top three was very close, and I'm happy we did so well!

Congratulations to Dirk and the NecroSoft team and all of the competitors who put in a lot of time and effort to make some really exceptional games!

aidave
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
congrats to huehnerschaender and necrosoft etc
good luck at IGF

savage
06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear you feel this way.

I was only made aware that you did not want PGD to make your game available for download last week and I believe WILL PMed you with a reponse. As already mentioned since you do not wish to have your game made available for download from our site, we are complying with your wishes and removing the links and as a result, your entry from the competition.

We set the precedent last year that all entries would be published after the results were given. This year we are continuing with the previous year's precedent, the only difference being that this year we did not stipulate that source code had to be released, thus giving all entrants the opportunity to keep their games closed source. The whole aim of the PGD competition has always been and will always be, as long as I am associated with it, to promote Delphi/Pascal as a viable game development langauge. To that end we require showcasing the entries on completion of the competition as this promotes Delphi/Pascal.

I don't think we have hidden anything from the contestants about the availablility of entries at the end of the competition. We are more than happy to re-direct the download links so that anyone who might be interested in a particular entry can download the most up to date version of said entries, if need be. Just supply us with a link to the latest version. This was also a done last year ( 2005 ) for entries like Jagdgeschwader and Sodoma Lite.

I am saddened that you use such a strong term as *hate* when you refer to the judges, Eric and Dean and also PGD, but I can also understand that you have put in a lot of work into your entry.

I hope we do not lose you as an active member.

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I thought Blocked had great potential for the IGF
If you think it has serious potential, theres nothing stopping you paying the $95 and entering the competition yourself.

Congratulations to everyone who scored more than us *BOO* *HISS* ;-)

Just one or two thoughts...

Completely overlooked??? I wouldn't call second place completely overlooked. As for wasted half a year of your life... I'm fairly sure that most of us only spent 3 1/2 months on the competition.

I'm disappointed we didn't do better than we have and I'm a little surprised by some of the scoring, but given that I had to rewrite the engine and was unable to get enemies and bosses in the second time around, its hardly suprising, but its a starting point for a product... we've achieved something we didn't think we could do... and well... its the first client based game we've ever created, so hoorah for us :-D

Congrats again to all the winners... Nice job :-D And good luck to Dirk for the IGF.

Legolas
06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
First of all, congrats to all for these amazing entries :D
I'm a bit disappointed hearing some comments about judgments... If you decided to partecipate to a competition, the risk is that your work will not be judged as you expects. :wink:
Besides, BLOCKED has won 2nd place! IMHO it's a good result :D

Traveler
06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I was wondering, is the version of Draconia that can be downloaded from the competitions page the final version?

After the menu, I'm not getting a whole lot more than a white screen and a dragon flying. I'm able to shoot, but the fireball is moving downwards instead of up. There's no enemies at all. I assume its an incorrect version, because there must be something more if it has 790 points.

dmantione
06-07-2006, 07:03 PM
To the ones who scored poorly: I plan to try all entries. Ok, I'm pretty backwards regarding Windows (my last remaining system is a Win98, not used for at least 9 months :) ), so some might not run. If they do, they will get played.

idee_fixe
06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Athena, you're right, we could enter - if we muster the ambition to get things together! Duke it out with Tanx again!

Imp5
06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Congratulations, Huehnerschaender!!! =)
Congratulations, Pascal Programmers!!!

czar
06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Wow!

I just tried scag and blocked. And I am pretty impressed. In both cases I felt there was enough "new" ideas to make the concept work. I love the bit in scag when you go from side scrolling to top down, that was cool. The interface could do with more work. For example, I set the set the game to 1024x768 in windowed mode and nothing changed, even after a restart. I also found the fighter dissappearing off the bottom of the screen a bit weird.

Blocked shows lots of promise but it could defintely do with more spit and polish. The tutorial while a great idea I found totally confusing - trying to zoom out in time to read messages. Being told to use a block spell when I had no idea what that was.

However, I was totally impressed with the entries I looked at so far. Imp5 I loved your entry, the concept was fresh and very fun. I will download again to see if you changed anything since I last saw it.

Right, off to try tanx now.

Can't wait to see what happens next year :D Hopefully judging won't take as long. ;) Although I can see that it wouldn't be an easy task.

Zenophran
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I was wondering, is the version of Draconia that can be downloaded from the competitions page the final version?

After the menu, I'm not getting a whole lot more than a white screen and a dragon flying. I'm able to shoot, but the fireball is moving downwards instead of up. There's no enemies at all. I assume its an incorrect version, because there must be something more if it has 790 points.

I've just downloaded it and compared it against what we submitted. It is the final submission, and you're right, there's a lot more than a dragon and a white screen. Perhaps you could PM me with your system specs and dxdiag and I can have a look at why it's not displaying correctly?

And congratulations to everyone, it's a shame to hear about the BLOCKED team's decision. Hopefully they'll be interested next year.

idee_fixe
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Zenophran, I'VE just heard about the Blocked "team's" decision myself, and being of member of that team, I was surprised, to say the least.

Zenophran
07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Zenophran, I'VE just heard about the Blocked "team's" decision myself, and being of member of that team, I was surprised, to say the least.

ouch. :oops:

WILL
07-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Delphi vs. Free Pascal: 15:1 :shhh:

Well it should make one of our 1st Place sponsors very happy to know. ;)

Huehnerschaender
07-07-2006, 06:07 AM

Hi idee_fixe,

I didn't write anything about the "blocked"-thing after the final results, because I have my own thoughts which doesn't belong in this forums.
All I can say is that I find it very sad, especially for you, that the entry is taken out of the compo without your knowing.

As far as I know you and Dave were the only ones who worked on Blocked so you are 50% of the team and at least he should have informed you before he informed the rest.

I just wanted you to know that I was very impressed by your work. Your entry was one of the entrys which really made me doubt if I can win the compo and as the results came out I saw that my personal assessment of the entrys was nearly the same as the results showed up. It was clear that the first places were fighting for a very tight win. But only one can be on place 1, only one on place 2 etc. Fortunaltely I got a few more points than others, but it could have also been Blocked or SCAG or another entry. So personally I think we all (not only the 3 winners) did great jobs in that short of time.

There are many entrys which show great potential. Personally I like the style of Arctic Macrob very much for example! I hope Imp5 continues this game! And I really hope that all others do the same!

Now let me thank everyone who congratulated here and by PM. I am very happy about the win and I am very happy about all the fair people who congratulated even they didn't win.

Greetings,
Dirk

NecroDOME
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Tanx and Blocked!!

Huehnerschaender
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
NecroDome,

did you realize that Blocked is out of the race? You are 2nd winner ^^

Congratz :)

NecroDOME
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Is he realy out of the game? the scores are still there...
Blocked is still a good entry and so is your game!

Huehnerschaender
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Hmmm.... there was a post from WILL yesterday which showed a new scoring...

Blocked was erased, you were 2nd and Earth under fire was 3rd.

Don't know why the post is gone... can't find it anymore and I swear, I was not drunken yesterday *hehe*

NecroDOME
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
it sertenly was a good day to be drunk :D

Huehnerschaender
07-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Hehe, yes it was indeed, but my baby didn't want to sleep very well and so I had to stay "clean" ^^

savage
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Withdrawl Update

Due to the miscommunication between the AIR team members, we are just awaiting final confirmation that they definatley want to withdrawl. Our appologies for any inconvenience this may cause to those of you who are currently in 3rd and 4th place. I hope you can bear with us for another day.

WILL
09-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Withdrawl Update

Unfortuantely we were unable to resolve the AIR team issue and the AIR team's entry BLOCKED will be withdrawn from the competition.

2nd Place now goes to NecroSOFT for .S.C.A.G.!

3rd Place will now go to Marek Mauder's Earth Under Fire!

4th and 5th Places will also change!

Huehnerschaender
09-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Congratz NecroDOME (you have to update your signature)
Congratz Marek!

michalis
10-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Delphi vs. Free Pascal: 15:1

A pity there's no "Best FreePascal game" or "Best Linux game" category for me :) Still, I believe my game turned out pretty good (except for that Radeon-specific issues) so it's development continues.

Congratulations to all winners ! I admit that I didn't try them yet (partly because of my despise of Windows, but mostly because of lack of time (I had a hard time to catch back with life things after finishing my entry)), but I'm sure the judgement was well deserved.

Going a little off-topic: I was already thinking about next year competition (I think that we all agree that we really want it). Suggestion: How about a theme next year about a network game ?

WILL
10-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I think everyone did really well. And no matter the placing, got something out of it one way or another.

Going a little off-topic: I was already thinking about next year competition (I think that we all agree that we really want it). Suggestion: How about a theme next year about a network game ?

The idea is that there will be another competition next year, of course. If you or anyone wants to suggest ideas for next year's theme, think of some kind of aspect of Game Play as that is what we have sort of established this year and is what we are looking for or the future ones to follow.

Multi-player isn't a bad idea, but it's also a hard one as you'll need more resources to test and develop with. ie. networked computers and friends who want to play them constantly. I don't know about friends, but I'm sure that there are those that don't have too many computers all hooked up to a network. :)

jdarling
10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Multi-player isn't a bad idea, but it's also a hard one as you'll need more resources to test and develop with. ie. networked computers and friends who want to play them constantly. I don't know about friends, but I'm sure that there are those that don't have too many computers all hooked up to a network. :)

Not true at all. Multiplayer networked games don't always require more people to play. As an example; Chess. I can play both sides on two PC's w/o any problems. Actually most small player count games can be tested by the developer, and its hardly difficult to find someone to jump into a multiplayer game these days.

My vote goes to extra points for Multi-Player games :).

Far as an idea: Casual Gamming. It seems to be the next big thing, and really it opens the playing field to more then one person. Heck even I have completed some casual games, and I don't have any time to do anything it seems as of late.

NecroDOME
10-07-2006, 03:02 PM
For next years compo I was thinking about some racing game. You need to beat other players/AI opponents in any way you like from car racing to quake combat style. You could put in multiplayer as well. Points for AI and MP.

Anyway, I'm going to pack my stuff, tomorrow is my vacation :) ...

See you in 3 weeks!

jdarling
10-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I started up a thread for suggestions about next years compo (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3399&highlight=). Maybe this way our ideas will be easier to find :)

tux
10-07-2006, 03:28 PM
For next years compo I was thinking about some racing game. You need to beat other players/AI opponents in any way you like from car racing to quake combat style. You could put in multiplayer as well. Points for AI and MP.

Anyway, I'm going to pack my stuff, tomorrow is my vacation :) ...

See you in 3 weeks!

oh yes! racing! :D i would love to do a compo on that

WILL
10-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I started up a thread for suggestions about next years compo (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3399&highlight=). Maybe this way our ideas will be easier to find :)

Good idea. ;)

I've made a few news posts that will surface in the next few days. Here is one on DevMaster.net: http://www.devmaster.net/news/index.php?storyid=1122

Huehnerschaender
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow... I am famous :lol:

madwoody
11-07-2006, 11:57 PM
damn, we are not :(

WILL
12-07-2006, 01:28 AM
yet. :p

I still have to submit a poster for the IOTD...

Dom told me I have to or I'll be excommunicated or something... :P

:lol:

I'm going to be putting one together... for GameDev.net and whereever else...

Once the PGD store is up, I think we might even ell it as a poster... if all the 2006 PGD Annual winners are all okey dokey with that idea... ;)

Oh and I'm only kidding about the excomun-err whatever thing....

jdarling
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
That would be a great way to earn a bit of cash to fund the site and the contests. Would really be kick ass if you could figure out a way for people to sell there games on the site. Some sort of review process, and then place it up for demo and full (sale) download. Of course freeware people (myself included) could simply upload or place links. % of the proffits goes back to you all for the running of this site.

WILL
12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah... some have had the idea of making PGD Annual compellation CDs (I guess DVDs now as CD-R is becoming less and less available in stores with only 3-5 brands and packaging instead of the once several that was offered before, or is that possibly just here in Canada?)

If we had enough time, we could make a nice little installer menu which featured title and in-game screeshots, game manual and interiews with the winners.

But this idea might have to wait for 2007 unless we were able to get permission from all the teams this year, as we didn't really include this as agreeable terms for all the teams But a 2006 compellation DVD is possible.

WILL
18-07-2006, 09:08 AM
GameDev.net finally decided to post the news; See the news post here! (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=403979)

tanffn
18-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Was just about to mention it, and to think that for a moment I will beat you to it :lol:

WILL
18-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm just happy the news post made it at all. They've been dragging their heels on it. I'm almost afraid to post the image of the day. :)

{MSX}
26-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi :P I've just had to boot on windows after months, so i took the time to try some of the entries..
I'm impressed with all of them! Great care for the details, great gfx, and all :P
Maybe becouse i like unusual things, but i'm most impressed with ArcticMacrob :D
It's very original, fun, etc.. I like being able to destroy walls, and i love the way the walls regenerate.. Nice stile, nice gfx :)
It's a pity that the second level is incredibly hard :P I couldn't pass it, i've tried many times..

Well congraturation to Imp5, and to all others partecipants :)