PDA

View Full Version : Promoting PGD entries outside Pascalgamedevelopment.com

dmantione
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Hello all,

Now that the competition is over, we have an amazing portofolio of games that show the power of Pascal. I think we show those games to the public.

Of the things we could do for example is contacting game magazines to try persuade them to include them on their cover CD/DVD's.

Any comments?

savage
11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have any contact information for various magazines? Specific contacts rather than generic ones?

Traveler
11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I think its a bit too early to make that jump.

I'm not sure what the rest of the entrants think about their entries, but mine is certainly not ready to be placed on any cd or dvd.

dmantione
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
IMHO it is now or never. You cannot say "we had a contest half a year ago". Perhaps some individual games can use some work, but the total portofolio is good enough. (And BTW. your game is worth testing :) )

Huehnerschaender
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Tanx isn't ready either. But it works as needed for the compo. I think I will have to do further work over the next months and maybe a year until it is like I want it to be.

So if we all only want to show our "complete" games, I think we will never be able to show anything, because there are always things which can be improved or which you would now do in another way because you learned something new.

So if we would publish our entrys, we can explicit advertise them as "As they are" or "Alpha versions" of yet to complete games. And the ones who work further on their entrys could point to some site where development state is shown etc.

I like the idea of showing the world what we did. Why not? And if it is adverstisment for PGD and Pascal, that's a great thing!

Look at gaming magazines. How many real "tests" are in there? Maybe 50%. And how many half complete games are shown, stated as "in development"? Just to show the world what they can expect to get in the next months.

Greetings,
Dirk

Traveler
11-07-2006, 11:12 AM
But what is it that you want people to know? The fact that we had a competition or that we now have a couple (uncompleted) games written in Pascal/Delphi?
If you want to get the word out that Pascal is a great language to create games with, you'd better show them something that doesn't crash half the time or has unfinished content. (no offence but that is the reality of nearly all entries, mine included)

(And BTW. your game is worth testing :) )
I appreciate the thought, however your target audience probably does not want to test these games, they want to play them. And mind you that people have little respect for software that isn't bugfree.

ps, I hope I didn't sound too negative here. It's just how I see things.

dmantione
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
What we can show people is some innovative games. We are speaking about full games, not just some functionally limited demo version or a trailer movie, which is quite seldom for these magazines.

Sure, some games show bugs. So do a lot of commercial games on those CD's. If you make sure the right URL is distributed with the game, people who like them will certainly come back to you for a newer version with less bugs.

IMHO the games that have been presented here and the work that went into them deserve more than a honourable place on a low traffic web site. That is why I think we should promote them outside pascalgamedevelopment.com.