PDA

View Full Version : Portal

NecroDOME
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Protals

Google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1299927595688205543&q=portal&hl=nl

An surprisingly well made and funny trailer for Valves new single-player Puzzle game called PORTAL which is coming with Half-Life 2: Episode 2 together with Team Fortress 2.

Anyone know how they make those portals? It would be a nice feature in my engine!

noeska
04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
stencil buffer?

or

Alpha cannnel in (animated) texture?

PS I don't like the game, it is too chaotic. I already feel stressed by only watching the movie :cry: (am i getting old :?: )

savage
04-08-2006, 11:45 PM
HL2 is really one of the best games ever to be burnt into bits. This portal feature just open up interesting game mechanics.

Essentially it's a dynamic door where you can set the opening and the exit of the door. If you have a 3D engine you would need to dynamically alter your map so reflect the entry and exit points.

Huehnerschaender
04-08-2006, 11:57 PM
The portal itself (visually) is just a render target texture, rendered from a camera whichs position and orientation is calculated exactly as if the exit "room" was right behind that "door"...

Then, when you are through it, your position and orientation is changed exactly to that of the camera which was used to render the render target texture. This way it looks like you go through the wall.

Thats how I would do it...

NecroDOME
05-08-2006, 10:52 AM
In theory ist simple for the rendering. But you also need to alter the pysics. If you create a portal on a wall, you need to walk half into the wall, then teleport to the other end, also half in a wall.Prey also has dynamic portals, but they do not appear ON a wall.